Rupert Everett says flop movie with Madonna put 'strain' on their friendship, 'finished' him in Hollywood

adled

I think we can all agree, Madonna isn't a good actress (apart from Evita, which was brilliant, because she was playing herself).  I enjoyed the film, but let's be real, it was tacky, not well directed, story line weak etc.

But did it ruin Ruperts career? That's a big call, lot's of actors have good and bad films and bounce back - so to blame this film for his failure is wrong, and it's on him not this film. 

Madonna's flops haven't impacted the success of her career - so he needs to stop blaming this for his failure. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

I think we can all agree, Madonna isn't a good actress (apart from Evita, which was brilliant, because she was playing herself).  I enjoyed the film, but let's be real, it was tacky, not well directed, story line weak etc.

But did it ruin Ruperts career? That's a big call, lot's of actors have good and bad films and bounce back - so to blame this film for his failure is wrong, and it's on him not this film. 

Madonna's flops haven't impacted the success of her career - so he needs to stop blaming this for his failure. 

It’s all opinions here ,including my own, but you forgot “Desperately Seeking Susan” where she essentially played a close enough version of herself and IMO very well. DSS is the only Madonna film I can watch repeatedly aside from Truth or Dare.

3 minutes ago, Magic Pussy said:

It’s all opinions here ,including my own, but you forgot “Desperately Seeking Susan” where she essentially played a close enough version of herself and IMO very well. DSS is the only Madonna film I can watch repeatedly aside from Truth or Dare.

oh yea DSS was great too!

On one hand,  paramount swung big in the 90s by having an openly gay actor  co-write and star in a gay themed film BUT since it was a commercial and critical disappointment, he was labeled box office poison more easily than a straight actor, not dissimilar to how female directors must knock it out of the park to keep working. On the other hand,  his range is/was limited and that’s that. I loved “Dance With a Stranger”  from 1985. On a personal note, I met him in the late 90s and he was a dick to me so I’m not sad for him.

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

It most probably did ruin his career. He only had one big major Hollywood film that made him (somewhat) famous and in demand in Hollywood, and this was supposed to be his next big movie. When it didn't happen, Hollywood just gave up on him. The entire thing was based on his one successful Hollywood role and the new film didn't justify the expectations. There was no reason to give him another chance is mainstream Hollywood after such a failure.

1 hour ago, Inco said:

I confess,  the first time I watched this movie was about 8 months ago, it's an OK movie, nothing more. Time Stood Still was a waste here,  it must 've been released as a new song in GHV2

I saw it in the theatre twice.

The movie was fine until the court scene and then it just went downhill.

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

We can’t all agree as she was great in Dangerous Game, Evita, A League of Their Own, Susan, etc.