Poor Papa Don't Preach

Justice

The Mdna version could have surpassed the best version up to that time, which was the one from the Blond Ambition Tour, but unfortunately its short length prevented it from achieving this in the end. And to think that this song was cut in length because it had to give way to a totally macabre and diabolical version of Hung Up that was not to the taste of most of her fans.

Oh how real the object of this thread is! It definitely was one of her absolute classics, with a strong meaning, an interesting, theatrical and intense arrangement and an infectious melody, with its simple and direct lyrics, able to combine urgency, need, hope, strenght and rage and she chose to reduce it at the level of any Cherish or True Blue.

The main thing imo is that she doesn't feel to sing it because of the adolescent or very young character of the song, she actually always cut off the lyrics that could make her feel out of place: in MDNA she just sang the first two verses with the bridge and the first half of the chorus, never revealing the pregnancy matter (and it actually could be refering to what happened on the stage right before the song, her rebellion to the "good wife" duties and manners once betrayed and abandoned), in Madame X she quoted the pregnancy to change the meaning of the song in support of the movement against the anti-abortion laws approved in some US States at that moment. 

She always used it as a very political song against the constituted power, in WTG she sang it with images of the Pope and Ronald Regan at her back, while beating her feet on the ground (still iconic :hearteyes:), in BA it was the moment when she eventually rejected the priests control on her, leaving them contracting alone in their own moral cages. The ReInvention tour was a more nostalgic kind of performance, she quoted the infamous t-shirt (Italinas do it better) and made the Ring around the Rosie kind of thing, recalling the young age of the character. I think we still should have a PROPER AND WELL DESERVED ACOUSTIC LIVE RENDITION. I honestly hoped for it in the Celebration tour, but at last - yes, I agree - the PDP intro is among the most iconic moments of the whole show, with the NRM opening number, the LTT/LAP AIDS tribute and the JML contemporary ballet coreo.

Let's be honest: it's a bop but she probably felt dumb singing those lyrics already in 1986!

I loved the twist for the "MDNA Tour" where "Papa" became Guy Ritchie during the first "Revenge of the Bride" section.

And of course the bed scene in the last tour is exquisite.

2 hours ago, adirondak said:

I"d love to see her pair it with Die Another Day, and use stuttered strings on Papa Don't Preach as well before it blends into Die Another Day. Thematically and musically it would work. 

Omg I've always been saying this! They would be a perfect match!

On 8/25/2024 at 6:28 AM, Prayer said:

It's The Moment on "The Celebration Tour" for me, so I guess "Papa" wins for me!

tct_paris_anto_20-04.jpg

Living in my mind rent free.

On 8/25/2024 at 2:41 PM, Prayer said:

Let's be honest: it's a bop but she probably felt dumb singing those lyrics already in 1986!

I loved the twist for the "MDNA Tour" where "Papa" became Guy Ritchie during the first "Revenge of the Bride" section.

And of course the bed scene in the last tour is exquisite.

Actually there were strong rumours PDP would be sung in full for Celebration Tour (although I don't know in what section, but my guess would be at the encore - and right after the scrapping of The Power of Good-Bye as final song).

EDIT: @Prayer the "Papa" for MDNAT wasn't Scotch Tape, but rather God. She was talking to capital H-I-M during her agony moment after the bloodbath for Gang Bang. And Hung Up was her actually going to hell (rather say the purgatory, since she got a new chance to live after her selfdefense during I Don't Give A).

52 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

Actually there were strong rumours PDP would be sung in full for Celebration Tour (although I don't know in what section, but my guess would be at the encore - and right after the scrapping of The Power of Good-Bye as final song).

EDIT: @Prayer the "Papa" for MDNAT wasn't Scotch Tape, but rather God. She was talking to capital H-I-M during her agony moment after the bloodbath for Gang Bang. And Hung Up was her actually going to hell (rather say the purgatory, since she got a new chance to live after her selfdefense during I Don't Give A).

Different interpretations but I totally see it as being directed to Guy, just like that whole first set is.

"Girl Gone Wild" she is the bride gone wild (with the reference to her own wedding dress), the black widow. "Gang Bang" is obvious. "Hung Up" is the hell Guy R. put her through, but she went through fire cause she was so "hung up" in love. "Papa" was her telling the dad within that home they created together to not think he was right about everything. "I Don't Give A" the ending. And "Best Friend" the aftermath.

Then comes "Express Yourself", once she's done with Guy then it's Gaga's turn! :04:

41 minutes ago, Starchild said:

It's such a full-bodied pop song and quintessential '80s Madonna.

papa-dont-preach-video-slip-2.png

So is Shoobeedoo but nobody seems to be giving it its flowers! Ive just never understood the fascination with PDP or La Isla Bonita. I think her performing it now is totally camp/kitsch tho. I always thought she should've sang a snippet of Oh Father instead for MDNA

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

I think her performing it now is totally camp/kitsch tho.

You say it like is a bad thing :D

I think True Blue era is iconic and so representative of pure pop. The singles, the videos, her image it became a blueprint for so many to follow.

Might be dated  compare to current sounds but that's how music works, not everything needs to match.