The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Adonna

18 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

No artist has ever started at the time stated on the ticket. unless I'm mistaken?

Kylie! (Some of her shows not all).. Ive missed the start being in the bar/snacks queue. :laughing: Didnt know till we went in, she was onstage singing the first song. Nightmare. 

Other than her nobody Ive seen. 

2 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

No artist has ever started at the time stated on the ticket. unless I'm mistaken?

Taylor is known for being almost scarily on time (both times I saw her, she was on nearly at 8:00 on the dot), Kylie tends to be pretty on time, and Elton John (and this was weird) was weirdly early when I took my grandmother to see him (like nearly 30 minutes I don't know if he just wanted to get home or what LMAO. 

But you are right that artists being right on the dot is not necessarily the norm. I would say there's usually a delay of 15-30 minutes to sometimes an hour from advertised to the time the artist gets on stage. 

I think the problem when it comes to Madonna is we know very well that she rarely is on stage before 10:00 and not a single venue adequately prepares the audience for that. No matter how many news stations or magazines or web blogs make mention of it, the venue needs to be better about communicating what we know is fact. 

And if she goes on a little earlier? Well then that takes it from "she was late but not as late as some shows" to "oh look she was early!". It' just up to them to advertise the truth, not the pie in the sky wishes for her to be on at 8. I wish she would be, but it's just not gonna happen. 

Irony that Madonna’s Grammy same night winner Ms. Lauryn Hill is the queen of lateness. Once I bought a ticket to the late show of a two show night, we were in line in the snow as the first show began at the time the late show was supposed to start. I think her SUV even dropped her off at the front entrance in front of the second line lol it was a good show though. Loud. I sat next to B. Real from Cypress Hill. 

1 hour ago, Future Lover said:

I think the problem when it comes to Madonna is we know very well that she rarely is on stage before 10:00 and not a single venue adequately prepares the audience for that. No matter how many news stations or magazines or web blogs make mention of it, the venue needs to be better about communicating what we know is fact. 

what does the venue have to do with any of it? it's just a space rented to the production for the show... they don't even have the contact information of the ticket holders, it's not their business to announce somebody being regularly late.

I am not making excuses for Madonna when it comes to her lateness but I do wish people that enjoyed the show were more vocal about it. All we get on social media is this whiny bunch acting like she got on stage by 00:15 and made a 45min set when it is far from the case.

Other than that I have to say I feel she's getting better show by show, it is unbelievable! This woman is such an inspiration.

again about her lateness?

it is a simple question about communication! ticketmaster, the respective venue and her team should be able to solve this... just say: showtime 9pm. (then, 1 hour waiting is fine)

in any case, what she is delivering is incredible!! cannot be said enough!!

Madonna has an opening DJ (considered opening act) who is definitely performing by 8pm each night, and so it’s really just on her audience to accept that an evening with her is an experience that runs past midnight. We’ve all had long enough to get used to it. The definition of madness is doing (or saying) the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. 

Taylor Swift is catering to an audience of teenagers and overgrown children. 

Elton John is quite old now, and very unfit, and so I imagine he was anxious to get to the stage considering how long his shows were running. 

Kylie Minogue…is Kylie Minogue, always out to please. Good for her!

Britney Spears had a proverbial collar around her neck and so she probably had very little choice but to get out there on time. 

1 hour ago, DiegoLCL said:

I am not making excuses for Madonna when it comes to her lateness but I do wish people that enjoyed the show were more vocal about it. All we get on social media is this whiny bunch acting like she got on stage by 00:15 and made a 45min set when it is far from the case.

Other than that I have to say I feel she's getting better show by show, it is unbelievable! This woman is such an inspiration.

That's the US leg... in Europe there was definitely a more positive vibe going on on social media and she was celebrated (ahem) pretty much everywhere.

Madonna has averaged a tour every 3 years since 2001 and her dates usually go on sale 6 to 9 months in advance. Considering mainstream media reports of her going on between 10pm to midnight have  been going around since at least 2012, anyone who can’t sort out a babysitter, dog walker,  transport, next day off or late into work months in advance should just stay out of the mix. Complaining that her show starts late is like complaining that Miami is humid in the summer; it’s a fact and you don’t have to go. Knowing how late she goes on, I’ll go to dinner  or take a disco nap then show up around 9pm (missing regular commuter traffic) grab drinks and people watch until the show starts.

5 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

then provide examples of where I was mistaken, happy to be corrected

My personal, professional experience: I've worked in a major entertainment venue for the last 11 years. Major A+ list artists come through here regularly. (In fact we have a major announcement tomorrow morning for an artist that very closely worked with Madonna). Most artists come on around their scheduled time. 15-20 minutes past the scheduled time happens regularly. But that's not what M does. She comes on hours after the promoted start time regularly.

Delays could potentially mean additional union labor and local venue labor cost which the artist is responsible for. Most artists can't/don't want that additional cost on their bill.

In my decade-plus of working, I can only think of maybe 5 or 6 times where an artist or show started an hour after the scheduled time. And in every instance that was because of a delay in equipment/set transit or some unforeseen circumstance that wasn't the norm. Never in my 11 years have we ever had an artist/show go on 2 hours past their scheduled showtime. This is a Madonna specific thing. I can think of no other artist or show that promotes an 8 or 8:30 start time and then doesn't come out until 10-11pm.

Let's face it: She seems to like this delay. Maybe she thinks it creates tension or anticipation by coming on late. Whatever the reason - lets not pretend that its standard operating procedure for most shows and artists. It's not.

And I'm cool with it. I anticipate it and prepare ahead. But again - let's not pretend that this is what everyone does.

3 hours ago, androiduser said:

what does the venue have to do with any of it? it's just a space rented to the production for the show... they don't even have the contact information of the ticket holders, it's not their business to announce somebody being regularly late.

1) The venue has all of the information of the ticket buyer (assuming they bought from the official ticketing platform and not from a 3rd party)

2) The venues send out ticket info emails to ticket purchasers before the show containing info on parking, entry, traffic, etc. Venues are also often also responsible for sending out VIP info (meet-and-greets, special entrances, etc).

3) The show renting the venue provide the start/stop time for the act prior to these emails deploying to ticket purchasers. They are simply relaying information given to them by the promoter (Live Nation/Madonna) to their ticket purchasers.

12 hours ago, Salida said:

Hey, guys, a friend of mine went to the second Cologne show and has uploaded these videos if you want to check them out:

Thank you so much.  Beautiful post.  So happy to see fun posts like this that celebrate appreciate the tour as is.  :luv: