Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

9 minutes ago, Adonna said:

A lot of fans forget, she, her record company and team choose singles which will resonate with the general public, not just the fans. Fans will always favor other songs chosen, but the fact is, commercial music usually keeps it more simple and fun. Of course, there are always ballads and other songs that catch on, but most record companies picks songs that will be less offensive and more relatable to anyone listening.  A song like "Turn Up The Radio" and "GMAYL" are quite simple and fun songs. They might not be too deep, but some of the biggest pop songs in history never had much substance.  Still, it always depends.  But Madonna's had a mix array of songs.  After awhile, people move on from ground breaking artists such as Madonna, so she always has to provide safe songs that may relate to general audiences. 

Yeah I think they did well with what they had during the Interscope era.

There are still moments of brilliance like Girl Gone Wild, Living For Love and I Don't Search I Find

1 hour ago, BoyToyMark said:

Yeah I think they did well with what they had during the Interscope era.

There are still moments of brilliance like Girl Gone Wild, Living For Love and I Don't Search I Find

I agree, but at the same time, as huge fans, I feel most of us are pretty bias to it all. We all want to see her succeed. We all believe there are better songs that could do that for her, but like with anything else in the world, it all becomes subjective. Even Madonna has had reservations for the selection of which singles are released. Let's remember, she didn't necessarily think "4 Minutes" was the best song to kick off Hard Candy. At the same time, she seems pretty unsure of songs like "Cherish" being the right choice for a single, yet ended up being a significant hit for her.  Then, there is "Sorry" which is a fan favorite and some what a hit in certain regions, but she never thought it was a song people would love. Artists always have their favorites, and many times, it's not always the same as fans or the general public. There's always some personal connection to it, that we'll never understand.

There are very few Madonna songs I dislike.  Even the songs I don't like as much, I enjoy at some level.  This just proves Music is subjective.  In most cases, the record company and her team are selecting "singles" that will resonate with the general public.  Fans are already engaged.  Singles are usually about attracting people outside the fandom.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

What's interesting is that there was SO much hype leading up to it. One of the first tidbits we got was that apparently they wanted her to work with RedOne and that she was FIRMLY against it. People were HYPED. It really had all the making of a blockbuster album but unfortunately GMAYL killer all the hype. People just did not like that song and when GGW premiered, people didnt hate it but they felt it was beneath her. When that megamix preview first premiered all the fans were pissed that TUTR was not the lead then of course after it was released fans were just over it.

I remember there was a subset of fans, myself included, that emphatically wanted I’m Addicted to be a single/have been the first single. For years I swore up & down it was the lead single that got away. Recently I listened to it for the first time in a few years and it sounds dated af. I still think it could’ve possibly fared ok in place of GMAYL or GGW. It had that explosive edm chorus vaguely like Rihanna or gaga hits at the time.

For a minute there I wondered a couple years ago if history was going to come around to GMAYL and look favorably at it bc it’s sort of adjacent to that disney pop punk olivia rodrigo sound, but nah. That sound came & went and GMAYL is still not great.

16 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

I remember there was a subset of fans, myself included, that emphatically wanted I’m Addicted to be a single/have been the first single. For years I swore up & down it was the lead single that got away. Recently I listened to it for the first time in a few years and it sounds dated af. I still think it could’ve possibly fared ok in place of GMAYL or GGW. It had that explosive edm chorus vaguely like Rihanna or gaga hits at the time.

For a minute there I wondered a couple years ago if history was going to come around to GMAYL and look favorably at it bc it’s sort of adjacent to that disney pop punk olivia rodrigo sound, but nah. That sound came & went and GMAYL is still not great.

IMO Im a Sinner should've been single #1. It's SO her! Even if it has flopped it still would sound good.

12 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

YES YES YESSS!!! 

Suddenly Emily, Guy Oseary and her team are so useful!

But wait, track 1 is the album version, yeah? UGH. Ever since they put that on the D&W playlist it’s been siphoning streams from the Celebration version, which had been getting the highest streams. Since they’re not merged and they’re all getting mediocre stream totals it’s sabotaging her from making headway on any spotify chart or major hits/viral playlist.

They should pivot the focus back to the celebration track if they won’t manually merge but of course they can never get it quite right lol. 😭🤬

I think the problem with the singles from the Interscope era is that many of them sound like they were from their inception made to sound as commercial as possible, thus a lot of fans don't like how generic and pandering they sound (GMAYL & BIM) but they didn't leave enough of an impression on the general public to get them buying as much as Interscope and M wanted (BIM charted at all in the Hot 100 because it went viral with kids on social).

Still, let's not forget that GMAYL charted really high outside the United States AND even in the US the Super Bowl promo managed to get it to #10 at a time when no single from Madonna was a guaranteed top 10 in the country anymore. So it's not like they were completely clueless there, I just wish they'd known better enough to course-correct after the meh response GMAYL got from fans and critics. Well, actually I wish they had not released GMAYL as a single at all and went with GGW. I know that song doesn't re-invent the wheel either and is as generic as fuck but at least, unlike GMAYL, it's fun.

Just now, vncsmoraes said:

I think the problem with the singles from the Interscope era is that many of them sound like they were from their inception made to sound as commercial as possible, thus a lot of fans don't like how generic and pandering they sound (GMAYL & BIM) but they didn't leave enough of an impression on the general public to get them buying as much as Interscope and M wanted (BIM charted at all in the Hot 100 because it went viral with kids on social).

Still, let's not forget that GMAYL charted really high outside the United States AND even in the US the Super Bowl promo managed to get it to #10 at a time when no single from Madonna was a guaranteed top 10 in the country anymore. So it's not like they were completely clueless there, I just wish they'd known better enough to course-correct after the meh response GMAYL got from fans and critics. Well, actually I wish they had not released GMAYL as a single at all and went with GGW. I know that song doesn't re-invent the wheel either and is as generic as fuck but at least, unlike GMAYL, it's fun.

Having done the remix edit of the offer nissim remix of Turn Up The Radio back then could have saved the era if it was sent to DJ's and general public since the video and song itself is amazing 

The problem with the singles on the Interscope era is they didn't have any support from the label, except from unique cases like the US radio deal for "GMAYL" (during a week, so generous of them...) or specific radio support for other ones ("Crave" did quite good on US AC radio if I remember well). In the UK she was pretty much on her own completely.

Overall, they did nothing for her behind the scenes, so there was no reach, meaning there was no hype about them, general public didn't know them and it was all a disaster.

"Girl Gone Wild" should have done good with proper support. Yes it was basic, but not more basic than other pop/EDM hits from that era. I thought "Radio" was a good Summer single, but it needed maybe just a little single mix beefed up version.

I love "MDNA" but I don't see how any other singles could have saved the album. Everyone talks about "Gang Bang" but that one could have never been a proper single, radio would have never touched it, too explicit and it didn't even have a clean version (impossible to do with the nature of that whole song). It was a fan fave but could have never been a proper GP hit.

The problem with MDNA is MDNA. An album she had to make wirh no passion, calculated for the charts and a specific audience that failed on both counts because people are not that stupid. She bought the songs but GP did not. And it is badly produced, mixed and mastered which adds to the cheap sound. This could have been Britney or Perry's best but people had higher standards for Madonna which she failed to meet because she did not care which she admitted while promoting Madame X which she had to make to finish her contract too but approached it differently.

That's why as much as i want new material, i'd rather wait until she feels there's an album she must make because of an artistic need  inside of her than have another half baked one released.

5 hours ago, Veronica-Electronica said:

IMG_8689.jpeg

Well, if we would be too literal this ain't part of the single REISSUES campaign as proper LAP single got reissued back in 2021. Jk

11 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

The problem with MDNA is MDNA. An album she had to make wirh no passion, calculated for the charts and a specific audience that failed on both counts because people are not that stupid. She bought the songs but GP did not. And it is badly produced, mixed and mastered which adds to the cheap sound. This could have been Britney or Perry's best but people had higher standards for Madonna which she failed to meet because she did not care which she admitted while promoting Madame X which she had to make to finish her contract too but approached it differently.

That's why as much as i want new material, i'd rather wait until she feels there's an album she must make because of artistic need  inside of her than have another half backed one released.

Plus MDNAT is UTTERLY TRASH, from start to finish. Why Live Nation thought it'd be a show to be performed at stadiums is to blow any sane mind.

4 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Having done the remix edit of the offer nissim remix of Turn Up The Radio back then could have saved the era if it was sent to DJ's and general public since the video and song itself is amazing 

This remix got some traction among fans at the time of when MDNAT launched - if Madonna were by them very likely to rework even the newer tracks, that'd be a GOLD OPPORTUNITY to perform this remix instead of that disgusting album version (plus with dancers following her instead of that wtf performance with her on guitar - and TUTR this way would've been a much better choice to encore than Celebration).

@vncsmoraes the main problem with GGW is that sounded extremely REDUCTIVE to everyone, esp with the comparisons to Gaga's Alejandro and naturally to Cyndi's biggest hit. It didn't help that it was seen literally as an "Inna or Alexandra Stan reject" (as I remember all too well @Régine Filange 's feedback about GGW on another forum) from day 1.

15 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

That's why as much as i want new material, i'd rather wait until she feels there's an album she must make because of an artistic need  inside of her than have another half baked one released.

Rushed? Yes. Bought songs? Yes as well. But I don't buy this whole "no passion, calculated" narrative some fans have put over "MDNA" over the years. Yes, the superficial songs are superficial indeed, but she really exposed her soul on that album, songs like "Gang Bang", "I Don't Give A", "Love Spent", "Best Friend"... There's nothing soulless in all of them and she was exposing herself completely, almost too much. There's a lot of anger and confusion there. A whole feeling all the time of "what the hell has happened". It was really her second divorce album, but instead of an introspective one like "Like A Prayer", we got a horny, middle age woman, nasty divorce,  I don't give a f**k one.

I find a lot of truth in "MDNA" honestly. Of course we can discuss the quality of the music but that's personal preference in the end. I agree is definitely not one of her best sounding albums, but I dare anyone to try to find great sounding audio on most of mainstream pop music during those years, peak of loudness war and tiny MP3 players, everything was mastered with those in mind. Not an excuse, but an explanation.

The people on here trashing MDNA - do they like trash songs like BIM or AL ? Just trying to gauge their music tastes here - as for live nation and interscope trashing yet again - people forget that she was in her mid 50s - how many artists do you know have hits at that time in their career ? She was never going to have big hits just like she is now so just get over it - it wouldn’t have mattered if she made an album on a par with LAP or ROL - the GP are just not interested in her they have moved on - she should be catering to her true fan base now and not TikTok tweens. They have Taylor swift for that now 

46 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

The people on here trashing MDNA - do they like trash songs like BIM or AL ? Just trying to gauge their music tastes here - as for live nation and interscope trashing yet again - people forget that she was in her mid 50s - how many artists do you know have hits at that time in their career ? She was never going to have big hits just like she is now so just get over it - it wouldn’t have mattered if she made an album on a par with LAP or ROL - the GP are just not interested in her they have moved on - she should be catering to her true fan base now and not TikTok tweens. They have Taylor swift for that now 

Well, Zig, personally I have now nothing against MDNA, as I said yesterday on this very thread:

MDNAT and everything surrounding it, however, is a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY...

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

MDNA has another big problem added. It was released in the middle of the battle with HER, the one I don't want to name. And in that war, MDNA received undeserved criticism from some sectors of the press and other "kinds of people" because HER was the new phenomenon.

The good news is that at least MDNA was number 1 in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Italy, Spain, Germany, Sweden, Ireland, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Finland, Hungary, Poland, Taiwan, Argentina, and Austria.

4 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

MDNA has another big problem added. It was released in the middle of the battle with HER, the one I don't want to name. And in that war, MDNA received undeserved criticism from some sectors of the press and other "kinds of people" because HER was the new phenomenon. 

Plus HER was disputing Iovine's attention with M at Interscope with an OVERWHELMING VICTORY by HER the moment M shown HER how to respect HASELF.

Sorry for having broken your heart, guy. Your silence has now convinced me to stop doing what I've been doing until the last couple of hours. I know I am burnt here. My apologies if you feel like taking it. I hope I have your major goal accomplished somehow.

Farewell guy, and back to normal programming...