Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

7 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

True blue ends sounding up kind of distorted after remastering considering some remasters don't consider the vocal effects (which make it sound like she's screaming or belting in some songs) but when you hear the standard vocals they sound normal just Like A Virgin

"True Blue 35th" sounds like s**t and I won't be convinced otherwise. The original had that "heated" mid 80s sound but was not distorted. Same as "Gambler" or some of the pre 1989 digital singles. For some reason most of them have not been that good. Even "Like A Prayer 30th" wasn't, honestly.

@Aiwa08is right. The "Like A Prayer" original album sounds absolutely perfect if you put up the volume. But of course it's never going to sound as loud as Sabrina Carpenter's "Espresso" or any other modern record and it shouldn't, really.

Remastering is a hard job, IMO. To keep the qualities of the original, while not making it louder just for the sake of it, and also please fans and new audiences... it's almost an impossible task. Even great objective remasters like Prince's "1999" or "Sign 'O' The Times" sounded like something was missing for me, being a big Prince fan. I acknowledge the hard work but simply prefer the originals.

Let's see what happens with Mado.

7 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

And that was the problem with Gambler, Everybody, FEL... Dear Madonna fan, if you want the volume of Like A Prayer to be higher, turn up the volume, and if it's still not loud enough at maximum, install an app on your cell phone to boost the volume of your songs even more. I have danced to Express Yourself and Like a Prayer in clubs, and the bass and treble almost destroy the buildings (figuratively). So, the problem is not in the mastering; the problem is that you need a more powerful amplifier (and preferably not to listen on your cell phone).

I don't know much of anything about music mastering and compression and I have a bad ear for this stuff so keep that in mind but: FEL I don't mind because it's meant to be loud music to play at the club/orgies but the Everybody and Gambler remasters are so artificially loud and distorted that they hurt my ears (seriously, the Everybody ones in particular make the Celebration version sound demure), plus they added the fade to Gambler 5 seconds earlier than they should for some reason...?

I think I might need to go back and comprehensively compare some of the original files that I have with the streaming remasters playing close attention this time.

1 hour ago, vncsmoraes said:

I don't know much of anything about music mastering and compression and I have a bad ear for this stuff so keep that in mind but: FEL I don't mind because it's meant to be loud music to play at the club/orgies but the Everybody and Gambler remasters are so artificially loud and distorted that they hurt my ears

Those FEL songs were created to be played in clubs at high volume, and that's how it has been for the past 40 years. They were the songs that least needed a volume increase because many of them were (sadly) already loud originally, and that's what happened: with even the slightest volume increase, they ended up sounding distorted on FEL (CD and streaming, but not on vinyl).

5 minutes ago, vncsmoraes said:

Sorry, but what's the reason behind them not sounding distorted on vinyl?

1. Physical Limitations: Vinyl has physical constraints that limit how much volume and compression can be applied without causing distortion or the needle to skip.
  2. Mastering Process: Mastering for vinyl is different from digital formats. Engineers are more cautious, prioritizing sound quality and fidelity over volume.
  3. Audience and Market: Vinyl enthusiasts and audiophiles prefer sound quality and fidelity, so vinyl mastering focuses on maintaining dynamics and clarity, avoiding excessive compression.

This is the hidden content, please

8kC9GKg.jpeg

You need to understand what the loudness war is:

On 7/20/2024 at 12:48 AM, vncsmoraes said:

Sorry, but what's the reason behind them not sounding distorted on vinyl?

Cause everything sounds worse in vinyl anyway, whatever people say.

Sorry! @Aiwa08explained it perfectly but I couldn't help myself haha. Vinyl can be more forgiving at hiding flaws, since it has its own limitations.

26 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Cause everything sound worse in vinyl anyway, whatever people say.

Sorry! @Aiwa08explained it perfectly but I couldn't help myself haha. Vinyl can be more forgiving at hiding flaws, since it has its own limitations.

Basically, the right answer is: BECAUSE VINYL CAN'T DO IT. Hahahaha. But honestly, I love how FEL sounds on vinyl (not perfect, but much better than on CD).

30 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

I think Like A Virgin & Material Girl sound quite decent.

There are some others that sound ok. Some tracks noticeably sound bad though. It’s a really mixed bag.

You are right. These remixes really didn’t need a ‘remastering’; they just needed volume normalization so that all of them sounded consistent. It wasn’t about making ‘Holiday’ as loud as ‘Bitch I’m Madonna’, but rather increasing the volume of the older tracks slightly and decreasing the volume of the newer ones to achieve a more uniform sound throughout the 50 tracks (because many of the modern tracks were already starting to sound distorted in the original releases).

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

You are right. These remixes really didn’t need a ‘remastering’; they just needed volume normalization so that all of them sounded consistent. It wasn’t about making ‘Holiday’ as loud as ‘Bitch I’m Madonna’, but rather increasing the volume of the older tracks slightly and decreasing the volume of the newer ones to achieve a more uniform sound throughout the 50 tracks (because many of the modern tracks were already starting to sound distorted in the original releases).

These don't sound bad at all. Fever sounded way better than the CD/streaming version.

Definitely promo for the single we all missed before or some of us at least, they couldn't say anything of "in this date" because they released it later 

Could it be that to fulfill the July month they released this in July and Dress You Up isn't coming? I doubt it since it's the album anniversary but I can see the remixes on the reissue coming... Doubt it

6 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Definitely promo for the single we all missed before or some of us at least, they couldn't say anything of "in this date" because they released it later 

Could it be that to fulfill the July month they released this in July and Dress You Up isn't coming? I doubt it since it's the album anniversary but I can see the remixes on the reissue coming... Doubt it

Can't say, it definitely hasn't been copyrighted on You Tube yet.

1 hour ago, BoyToyMark said:

Can't say, it definitely hasn't been copyrighted on You Tube yet.

wonder if it is because of the fact that for a very long time the 12" was wrongly included as "album version" on streaming on the LAV album and was fixed only a year ago or something....? Maybe they haven't updated that mess and so album version and 12" version appear on YouTube just as album version?

Regarding delay in reporting Dress You Up, I TRULY believe Rhino has pulled off UKMixers' ears and demanded them to be lips full sealed after they made Rhino look like Madonna during her Blond performance of Material Girl for spilling the tea to one week in advance about a two-week delayed maxi reissue (you get me for sure).

I am confident PJ will bring the receipts when it's 11pm in Auckland on July 23! I feel like don't distrust 'em!!!

Still no news about Dress You Up, Probably skipped or changed date

Now the Express Yourself Nonstop Mix which was the Itunes and Amazon version back then and still is on Amazon actually never really changed because it's still the 2nd track in the Like A Prayer 30th anniversary (Well, on itunes the compilation didn't get released, so I guess an Oh Father single is the best way to get it on most digital download services..

Into The Groove would actually be a cute nomination for one of these special one off 12” singles seeing as it never had one in the US. It could use the UK cover updated and feature the following

side A

1. Into The Groove

2. Into The Groove - YCD Remix

side B

1. Into The Groove - Video Edit

2. Into The Groove - Acapella

37 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Into The Groove would actually be a cute nomination for one of these special one off 12” singles seeing as it never had one in the US. It could use the UK cover updated and feature the following

side A

1. Into The Groove

2. Into The Groove - YCD Remix

side B

1. Into The Groove - Video Edit

2. Into The Groove - Acapella

I would change the tracklist a bit:

side A

1. Into The Groove (Video Edit)

2. Into The Groove (YCD Extended Remix)

side B

1. Into The Groove (YCD Remix Edit)

2. Into The Groove - (Original Instrumental or Remix Instrumental or TIC instrumental)

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

I would change the tracklist a bit:

side A

1. Into The Groove (Video Edit)

2. Into The Groove (YCD Extended Remix)

side B

1. Into The Groove (YCD Remix Edit)

2. Into The Groove - (Original Instrumental or Remix Instrumental or TIC instrumental)

Mmmm since it's my favorite Madonna song I'll give my version too but for a streaming ep :) (too bad not having its proper cover)

1 Into the groove

2 Into the groove (YCD remix edit)

3 Into the groove (YCD dub version)

4 Into the groove (Video edit)

5 Into the groove (Movie version)

Madonna_-_Into_the_Groove.png

Released on 15 July 1985, Into The Groove entered the UK charts at No.4. A week later, on 3 August, it unseated Eurythmics’ There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Hear) to claim the top spot and become the first of a record-breaking run of Madonna No.1s in UK

1 minute ago, Erotico said:

Mmmm since it's my favorite Madonna song I'll give my version too but for a streaming ep :) (too bad not having its proper cover)

1 Into the groove

2 Into the groove (YCD remix edit)

3 Into the groove (YCD dub version)

4 Into the groove (Video edit)

5 Into the groove (Movie version)

Madonna_-_Into_the_Groove.png

Released on 15 July 1985, Into The Groove entered the UK charts at No.4. A week later, on 3 August, it unseated Eurythmics’ There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Hear) to claim the top spot and become the first of a record-breaking run of Madonna No.1s in UK

What's different in the movie version?