Joan Ciccone has died from Cancer

ChrisK

• ChrisK featured this topic

I’m convinced the Joan evil stepmother story was concocted as part of the Madonna genesis story like the $35 dollars mess. 

I’ve always found it highly unlikely that a little girl of five years old would harbour such hatred towards a woman who came in to the family house and created a home. 

Im positive Madonna will make a beautiful post dedicated to her. Theres no way she couldn’t love this woman. She’s been there her whole life 60 years. She’s the woman her father loved. 

I don't doubt whatsoever that when Madonna was young she was resentful of Joan, but I think that one-sided battle had a truce called many, many years ago. It's very clear even from the video above that they developed a relationship. We know that M doesn't just give affection like that to anyone, it's a side of her she only really shows to her family and it's evident that she considered Joan her family. 

Last february Detroit News did a great piece on the winery regarding its sale. They really did it themself by hand. Reading this you know where Madonna got her work ethic from.

I guess the car Madonna bought her and Joan was talking about at the MDNA pre show was the replacement for her old van they talk about HERE

3 hours ago, steady75 said:

I’m convinced the Joan evil stepmother story was concocted as part of the Madonna genesis story like the $35 dollars mess. 

I’ve always found it highly unlikely that a little girl of five years old would harbour such hatred towards a woman who came in to the family house and created a home. 

Im positive Madonna will make a beautiful post dedicated to her. Theres no way she couldn’t love this woman. She’s been there her whole life 60 years. She’s the woman her father loved. 

I disagree about it being made up. I guess it may be difficult to understand when it wasn't us it happened to, but I can see why Madonna and her siblings couldn't warm to Joan at first. All they wanted was their mother. Was that so bad? They may have felt things were rushed too, who knows? (I'm not going to assume as it was a different time, and Silvio was in a very sad and difficult position and did what he felt was best for his family). 

Although I doubt Joan was 'evil', (don't forget, M and siblings remember it from a child's point of view so it may have seemed that way), they wouldn't/didn't understand until they were older (as Madonna has since said happened after she became a mother). After Madonna sr., Madonna jr. was very close to her father and she worried about him leaving her. Her child self may have thought Joan was 'taking him away' from her after she came into the picture.

I have previously seen an old post from Christopher, which included Paula and Joan, and he called her 'mom', so there was acceptance over the years from them. And I have also read that for Anthony and Madonna (possibly Martin too?), that the age gap between them and Joan, was a factor.

I don't think anyone would disregard Joan as a mother figure to Madonna. She's aware her father loved her, but he also loved her mother. It doesn't matter how long ago she passed, that thought may always be at the back of M's mind, and that's OK.

It's up to her if she shares her feelings, but if she does I hope she doesn't feel like she has to, to prove how good their relationship was. 

I'm sure Joan was a lovely woman 🩷

(I love that clip of her at the MDNA tour, haha!)

Sad news. In Madonna's story Joan was cast the Evil Stepmother. She said some not so nice things about her in the Howard Stern interview. Her father must be davastated😢. I can't help picturing M attending the funeral in that Dolce & Gabbana look though.

I saw an interview clip with Madonna - I don't know who with, but from her look I guess it was 1995 (Something To Remember look/hair). She was very emotional when asked about her mother and there were tears when she she said that she missed her so much and yearned for a mother to be able to call when she was upset. 

My take on this is, if she were even marginally close to Joan she may have also said but I can speak to my stepmother. She didn't. Suggests to me in 1995 that there was no close relationship there. Maybe just a cold acceptance. It may have improved in the subsequent years.

If anyone here knows about this interview clip, please share link here. I'd love to see it again. I've never seen M that emotional before. Broke my heart.

3 hours ago, FrozenRain said:

Sad news. In Madonna's story Joan was cast the Evil Stepmother. She said some not so nice things about her in the Howard Stern interview. Her father must be davastated😢. I can't help picturing M attending the funeral in that Dolce & Gabbana look though.

She did say in that same interview that she'd been unfair to Joan - the not nice things she said were about how she felt at the time, not how she felt about her now. There have been multiple videos over the past 20 years of them backstage and they seemed on good terms. I'm sure Madonna having her own family played a huge part in her understanding Joan more.

5 hours ago, stevemic said:

I saw an interview clip with Madonna - I don't know who with, but from her look I guess it was 1995 (Something To Remember look/hair). She was very emotional when asked about her mother and there were tears when she she said that she missed her so much and yearned for a mother to be able to call when she was upset. 

My take on this is, if she were even marginally close to Joan she may have also said but I can speak to my stepmother. She didn't. Suggests to me in 1995 that there was no close relationship there. Maybe just a cold acceptance. It may have improved in the subsequent years.

If anyone here knows about this interview clip, please share link here. I'd love to see it again. I've never seen M that emotional before. Broke my heart.

11 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSROrWGvcy6X9gx1UYuXk0

May 25 1985, Madonna backstage with her maternal grandmother Elsie Fortin (on left) and her step mother Joan's mother on right wearing a Madonna button at The Virgin Tour at Cobo Arena in her hometown of Detroit, Michigan.

Joan was the spitting image of her mother!