Jog my memory please RE: Hollywood

They love the smell of 'it' in hollywood

That's the original lyric, but M could have altered it in some TV performance like anaglyphx asked. She did that with Material Girl in BAT ("experience has made me a bitch").

I don't know if she ever sang that line in Hollywood, but such change would be funny and work lol.

Yes, you're mistaken.  She's only performed the song a handful of times, live.  It was during the American Life Promo tour. While she would screw up the lines/words each time she sang them, she never substituted "it" with "shit".  Though in France, she did sing/say "Get the Fuck Out" several times at the end of the song.  Possibly is that  what you're remembering? 

i mean, she only performed it a few times... shouldn't be hard to find. 

TRL

Tower Records

TOTPs... but that was probably lip synched. 

She never performed it on TRL, but she did have a full MTV special called "On Stage and On the Record" where she performed it.  As you mentioned. she performed it at Tower Records in NYC, as well as on the Johnathon Ross show, live at the HMV store in London, in France (La Cantine Du Faubourg) and she performed it live at the MTV Music awards with the infamous kiss. 

Maybe the OP is confusing her swearing when she did so in France (as I mentioned above) where she would sing/say "Get the Fuck out" at the end of the song?

Thanks everyone!

I was sure it was Jonathan Ross, but it wasn't.

Getting old eh?

Wish she sang Love Profusion, the only song from American Life she hasn't one live. (Technically Nobody Knows Me was synched)