The Next Best Thing - 20 Years

Guest Ashley

1 hour ago, MarXus said:

Which is quite interesting because there were plenty of interviews at that time, where she wasn't taking on the British accent.  So a lot of it was her just speaking British in the environment she was surrounded by. 

I think here's the answer - 

Madonna’s British-ish accent

In 1995, when Madonna first adopted her bizarre British-ish accent, spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg said it was a side effect of vocal coaching for Evita. But the Michigan native still uses a  William F. Buckley Jr. lockjaw in The Next Best Thing. Wot’s up with thaht? Rosenberg’s new thesis: The Material Girl is a linguistic chameleon. ”When Madonna had a Southern assistant, she was talking with a Southern accent,” she says. ”In regard to the movie, it’s probably because she was with Rupert [Everett] so much.” Which makes us wonder, what does this woman want? Vell, since Sigmund Freud is dead, we rang up psychology’s next best thing, Dr. Joyce Brothers. Her diagnosis: To ”unconsciously mimic” means Madonna is trying to impress her friends. Call it desperately seeking approval.

https://ew.com/article/2000/03/17/madonnas-british-ish-accent/

15 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I think here's the answer - 

Madonna’s British-ish accent

In 1995, when Madonna first adopted her bizarre British-ish accent, spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg said it was a side effect of vocal coaching for Evita. But the Michigan native still uses a  William F. Buckley Jr. lockjaw in The Next Best Thing. Wot’s up with thaht? Rosenberg’s new thesis: The Material Girl is a linguistic chameleon. ”When Madonna had a Southern assistant, she was talking with a Southern accent,” she says. ”In regard to the movie, it’s probably because she was with Rupert [Everett] so much.” Which makes us wonder, what does this woman want? Vell, since Sigmund Freud is dead, we rang up psychology’s next best thing, Dr. Joyce Brothers. Her diagnosis: To ”unconsciously mimic” means Madonna is trying to impress her friends. Call it desperately seeking approval.

https://ew.com/article/2000/03/17/madonnas-british-ish-accent/

As I stated earlier, you hang around in a certain region or around certain people long enough, you adopt their language, customs, etc.  I know several people who have moved to a certain area in the U.S., who spoke one way years ago, but now speak another because they were influenced or adopted how those people spoke.  Some people are more easily influenced than others.