Many things went wrong during that time, some already have mentioned
1. She was having issues in her marriage at this point.
2. It's almost like she wanted to sound like Nelly Furtado at a time when Timbaland was probably exhausted and definitely overused.
3. This was the first time I felt an album was a justification for a tour. She had a big commitment with Live Nation now.
3. JT added very little to the album. There was nothing SexyBack about it. Maybe there wasn't a connection there?
4. She got more involved with Malawi and the charity, which is great but definitely a distraction.
5. BONUS: Steven Klein sucks.
PS: I love Give it 2 Me btw, although that bridge is a bit dreadful.