Edit History

Harrdust

Harrdust

On 11/17/2022 at 3:35 AM, lennyleonard said:

So, I've compared this release of YCD - Single Edits from Qobuz to the tracks from the 1987 Promo CD. I took a very fast look at them at Spek, and ran them through Audacity to compare them. To my ears they don't sound bad at all, but, quite curiously to me, they are not exactly the same files.

All of them run at the same speed through the whole thing, which indicate they come from the same master, but they sound a little bit... tweaked - all the tracks from the 2022 release are cutoff at a slightly lower frequency.

Additional things I noted (current release compared to the 87 promo CD):
For Holiday, Everybody, Physical Attraction and Into The Groove, the volume is a bit lower; in Over And Over, it is a bit louder; and in Where's The Party, there is some variation in this matter
In Everybody, Into The Groove and Where's The Party the bass is not as prominent/or the treble is enhanced. I can't say this for sure, as my ears are untrained for this.

Anyway, I think it's curious that they are not the exact same tracks, as they were using the tracks from Promo CDs for other releases of this campaigns, but not for this one. The differences are very subtle (at least to me), but I wonder why there are there at all, as it wouldn't make sense to alter the tracks just this much.

I checked the files in Audacity too, I don't have the promo cd but I found it here. Considering all the above you said, same source and everything. Although I noticed tape noise at the end on each track. For Physical Attraction the volume is higher on my test. Everybody, Over and Over, Into the Groove & Where's the Party have different waveforms in general.

I think those are pre-mastered mixes (final mixes but not mastered) or at least not mastered for cd, maybe vinyl masters (?), less bass etc. But I personally like the promo cd sound.

Also does anyone checked the Rain digital EP? I only have the European CD and noticed minor volume differences mostly. (But I always prefer to compare the local releases if available. xD)

Harrdust

Harrdust

On 11/17/2022 at 3:35 AM, lennyleonard said:

So, I've compared this release of YCD - Single Edits from Qobuz to the tracks from the 1987 Promo CD. I took a very fast look at them at Spek, and ran them through Audacity to compare them. To my ears they don't sound bad at all, but, quite curiously to me, they are not exactly the same files.

All of them run at the same speed through the whole thing, which indicate they come from the same master, but they sound a little bit... tweaked - all the tracks from the 2022 release are cutoff at a slightly lower frequency.

Additional things I noted (current release compared to the 87 promo CD):
For Holiday, Everybody, Physical Attraction and Into The Groove, the volume is a bit lower; in Over And Over, it is a bit louder; and in Where's The Party, there is some variation in this matter
In Everybody, Into The Groove and Where's The Party the bass is not as prominent/or the treble is enhanced. I can't say this for sure, as my ears are untrained for this.

Anyway, I think it's curious that they are not the exact same tracks, as they were using the tracks from Promo CDs for other releases of this campaigns, but not for this one. The differences are very subtle (at least to me), but I wonder why there are there at all, as it wouldn't make sense to alter the tracks just this much.

I checked the files in Audacity too, I don't have the promo cd but I found it here. Considering all the above you said, same source and everything. Although I noticed tape noise at the end on each track. For Physical Attraction the volume is higher on my test. Everybody, Over and Over, Into the Groove & Where's the Party have different waveforms in general.

I think those are pre-mastered mixes (final mixes but not mastered) or at least not mastered for cd, maybe vinyl masters (?), less bass etc. But I personally like the promo cd sound.

Also does anyone checked the Rain digital EP? I only have the European CD and noticed minor volume differences mostly. (But I always prefer to compare the local releases. xD)

Important Information

Terms of Use