Someone stealing Madonna’s music

58 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

I just remember M going off on that rapper for sampling Into the Groove a couple of years ago and she was not happy about it. And aside from that horrible 2000s group that would cover her, there’s rarely any covers. I would assume because she doesn’t want people doing it. 

I’ve always thought that parody and live performances are different but actual covers and samples need permission. And as far as I know, she doesn’t give out permission. Other wise we’d probably have a million people singing these songs everywhere. 

The rapper thing using "Into The Groove" was a sample, not a cover, that's why she was mad - cause he was getting a lot of streams too, so he was making money with her creation.

With Mad'House... gosh I will never forget Summer 2002 and the endless cheap dance covers they released xd

(To be fair they filled the long gap between "What It Feels Like For A Girl" and "Die Another Day", which felt like FOREVER back then and helped new generations to know her old songs when she was so against her old hits still, this cover was EVERYWHERE in Europe that year).

Madonna could not like it, but couldn't do anything about it, since they were simple plain covers, not samples used on new creations.

Same as the countless tribute albums released along the years (some posted by @EgoRod), or the lullaby cover versions albums, the orchestral wedding type covers, etc. etc. There are tons of them!

She maybe didn't like it, but she didn't have any power to stop them - just talking bad about them to minimize their impact, I remember she trashed "Virgin Voices" back in the day.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

I just remember M going off on that rapper for sampling Into the Groove a couple of years ago and she was not happy about it. And aside from that horrible 2000s group that would cover her, there’s rarely any covers. I would assume because she doesn’t want people doing it. 

I’ve always thought that parody and live performances are different but actual covers and samples need permission. And as far as I know, she doesn’t give out permission. Other wise we’d probably have a million people singing these songs everywhere. 

Do you mean Blonde Ambition? https://www.discogs.com/release/1762647-Blonde-Ambition-Live-To-Tell-98-The-Dance-Mixes cuz I think thats how we got Thunderpuss to remix Don't Tell Me in the long run which worked out well for her. 

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

The rapper thing using "Into The Groove" was a sample, not a cover, that's why she was mad - cause he was getting a lot of streams too, so he was making money with her creation.

With Mad'House... gosh I will never forget Summer 2002 and the endless cheap dance covers they released xd

(To be fair they filled the long gap between "What It Feels Like For A Girl" and "Die Another Day", which felt like FOREVER back then and help new generations to know her old songs, this cover was EVERYWHERE in Europe that year).

Madonna could not like it, but couldn't do anything about it, since they were simple plain covers, not samples used on new creations.

Same as the countless tribute albums released along the years (some posted by @EgoRod), or the lullaby cover versions albums, the orchestral wedding type covers, etc. etc. There are tons of theShe maybe didn't like it, but she didn't have any power to stop them - just talking bad about them to minimize their impact, I remember she trashed "Virgin Voices" back in the day.

Interesting. Im surprised we dont have people covering her everyday then. 

covers are not stealing, anyone can do them without asking for a permission. The writer of the song needs to be credited and that's it, they will make money from the cover automatically.

That's why there's a ton of covers of all kinds of artists, those cover compilations made for bars, elevators etc

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

(To be fair they filled the long gap between "What It Feels Like For A Girl" and "Die Another Day", which felt like FOREVER back then and helped new generations to know her old songs when she was so against her old hits still, this cover was EVERYWHERE in Europe that year).

Same as the countless tribute albums released along the years (some posted by @EgoRod), or the lullaby cover versions albums, the orchestral wedding type covers, etc. etc. There are tons of them!

She maybe didn't like it, but she didn't have any power to stop them - just talking bad about them to minimize their impact, I remember she trashed "Virgin Voices" back in the day.

And Roller girl!

9 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

And Roller girl!

I had COMPLETELY forgotten this one!

I remember watching it on my local TV show and half of me thinking WTF and the other half "cool!".

Same feeling two decades after.

I was checking and this was a respectable #22 in the UK charts in August 2000.

She walked so Mad'House could run two years later: their cover of "Like A Prayer" was #3 (!!!!) in UK in July 2002, while "Holiday" was #24 in November.

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

So could I release an album called Madame X and cover every single song from Madonna's album Madame X and release it? 🤔

yes, anyone can release a cover album, they just can't use samples of the original recording without permission.

Ryan Adams released a successful cover album of Taylor Swift's 1989

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_(Ryan_Adams_album)

7 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

deleted comment

Just now, PlayPause said:

M did not write anything on Into the Groove so she can moan as loud as she wants: as long as they're not sampling a bit with her voice, a sample or cover can happen without her permission.

What? Madonna and Stephen Bray are both credited as writers on "Into The Groove" since day one:

LTg5MDMuanBlZw.jpeg

5 hours ago, androiduser said:

yes, anyone can release a cover album, they just can't use samples of the original recording without permission.

Ryan Adams released a successful cover album of Taylor Swift's 1989

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_(Ryan_Adams_album)

I had no idea this could be done. That's crazy to me. Meanwhile people will go to court over a similar baseline...

2 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

I had no idea this could be done. That's crazy to me. Meanwhile people will go to court over a similar baseline...

they usually go to court because a similar baseline can potentially be a way to avoid sampling the original baseline, with the permission of the author and the songwriting credit. So the court then decides if the sound in question was an uncredited sample or just a similarity. With a cover version, the original authors are credited as songwriters and that's that, they automatically get royalties.

2 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

Interesting article about what you need , to do to cover a song:

https://www.musicgateway.com/blog/how-to/cover-song-licensing-guide-permission-costs-and-royalties

I think when it comes to samples , it has to do to using someone else music, that still protected without permission or paying them. While covers, you are doing a new song with  a 'new' artist performing it, so what need to be protected is the writers licensing. Then you have plagiarism, that's a totally different world.

Also we have a big list of covers that are more popular than the original:

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - Nancy Sinatra/Cher

Torn - Natalie Imbruglia/Ednaswap

Tainted Love - Soft Cell /Gloria  Jones

Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O’Connor/Prince

I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston/Dolly Parton

Respect - Aretha Franklin/Otis Redding

9 hours ago, EgoRod said:

https://www.musicgateway.com/blog/how-to/cover-song-licensing-guide-permission-costs-and-royalties

I think when it comes to samples , it has to do to using someone else music, that still protected without permission or paying them. While covers, you are doing a new song with  a 'new' artist performing it, so what need to be protected is the writers licensing. Then you have plagiarism, that's a totally different world.

If you want to cover a song in your bedroom or on stage, you don't need to ask permission.

If you want to cover a song and release it in any format, you need to ask the songwriter's and publisher's permission.

If you want to use a sample from a song (and release it), you need to ask the audio master owner's (aka the producer) permission and maybe the publisher's permission if the sample features a recognizable melodic or lyrical part.

9 hours ago, EgoRod said:

It's the same kind of article as the one that was previously shared. It's advertising and commercial content, so I wouldn't take it as legal advice. This one operates in the UK so they're selling licensing services according to the UK law.