Someone stealing Madonna’s music

On 5/7/2024 at 10:33 AM, RUADJAI said:

So could I release an album called Madame X and cover every single song from Madonna's album Madame X and release it? 🤔

Yes. Ryan Adams did exactly that to Taylor Swift's 1989. It's known as a mechanical license, and in the US, it is compulsory the original songwriter give permission (so long as the song has already been commercially released). The artist has no power to stop it. Peter Rauhofer did a note for note cover of Kosheen's Hide U and released it immediately after their own US release because they wouldn't give him licensing rights for his Star69 label, so he just put out his own. Shitty, but legal. The songwriters get paid. Prince hated cover songs and thought there was no point to re-record a song but he had no power over Sinead O'Connor's version despite not liking it.

That does not cover broadcast rights or sampling/substantially changing the song, which you need the songwriter's permission. Broadcast rights are way more relaxed in the UK (which is why you hear more popular songs in British TV), but I don't know how it works over there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_license

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, nyc said:

Yes. Ryan Adams did exactly that to Taylor Swift's 1989. It's known as a mechanical license, and in the US, it is compulsory the original songwriter give permission (so long as the song has already been commercially released). The artist has no power to stop it. Peter Rauhofer did a note for note cover of Kosheen's Hide U and released it immediately after their own US release because they wouldn't give him licensing rights for his Star69 label, so he just put out his own. Shitty, but legal. The songwriters get paid. Prince hated cover songs and thought there was no point to re-record a song but he had no power over Sinead O'Connor's version despite not liking it.

That does not cover broadcast rights or sampling/substantially changing the song, which you need the songwriter's permission. Broadcast rights are way more relaxed in the UK (which is why you hear more popular songs in British TV), but I don't know how it works over there.

This lines up with what I learnt as well. A few years back we performed a live track that included a few lines of a Rolling Stones classic and then wanted to record and release it. My record label explained the nightmare it would be getting the licence for using just that tiny bit of their song. In the end I had to re-record it without that part. Worked out much better without it.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:51 AM, nyc said:

There's a list somewhere of all the songs Prince has given to other artists.
And I'm sure there's [promo ?] CD set of it too.
Yeah,
he hated Sinead O'Connor's cover so much that he asked her to sing on a movie soundtrack.
People burst out laughing at the site of Nick Nolte 'singing' in the previews.
So they recut the entire movie without the songs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/ill-do-anything-musical-cut-watch-james-l-brooks-prince-nick-nolte-polly-platt-a9700661.html

On 5/10/2024 at 6:55 AM, TheGoth said:

This lines up with what I learnt as well. A few years back we performed a live track that included a few lines of a Rolling Stones classic and then wanted to record and release it. My record label explained the nightmare it would be getting the licence for using just that tiny bit of their song. In the end I had to re-record it without that part. Worked out much better without it.

You don't want to get tangled over sampling the Rolling Stones, after what happened to The Verve' s Richard Ashcroft:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/richard-ashcrofts-manager-reveals-rolling-stones-returned-rights-verve-bitter-sweet-symphony-2513675

"Billboard revealed that Ashcroft has only ever received $1,000 in publishing money from ‘Bitter Sweet Symphony’, which was paid as part of the settlement deal. Billboard estimates the song’s total publishing revenue over the years at almost $5 million."

12 hours ago, A. A. Aardvark said:

There's a list somewhere of all the songs Prince has given to other artists.
And I'm sure there's [promo ?] CD set of it too.
Yeah,
he hated Sinead O'Connor's cover so much that he asked her to sing on a movie soundtrack.

Prince gave other artists songs he wrote and they put out a CD of his original unreleased versions a few years ago, but stuff like Manic Monday aren't covers. He complained about compulsory licenses a few times.

In 2011 he told George Lopez: "See, covering music means that your version doesn't exist anymore. A lot of times, people think I'm doing Sinéad O'Connor's song or Chaka Khan's song, when, In fact, I wrote those songs. There's this thing called the compulsory license law, which allows artists – through the record companies – to take your music at will without your permission, and that doesn't exist in any other art form." In 2013 he told Billboard: “I do pay performance royalties on others’ songs I perform live, but I’m not recording these songs and putting them up for sale. Why do we need to hear another cover of a song someone else did? Art is about building a new foundation, not just laying something on top of what’s already there.” Weird Al approached him like 3 or 4 times to do a parody song, and while satire is perfectly legal without the artist's permission, Weird Al respected artist's wishes and Prince never wanted his music re-recorded.

And Sinead O'Connor has talked repeatedly about her experience with him, including in her memoir and in an interview with police, how she thought Prince invited her over to congratulate her for the song's success, and instead he made her eat soup served by his cousin Duane (who Sinead called 'Igor'), chastised her for swearing in interviews, and then had a pillow fight with her, only loading his pillow up with something heavy to actually beat her. She had to run from the house. The whole thing is so insane I wish there was a Dave Chappelle sketch of it.

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

You don't want to get tangled over sampling the Rolling Stones, after what happened to The Verve' s Richard Ashcroft:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/richard-ashcrofts-manager-reveals-rolling-stones-returned-rights-verve-bitter-sweet-symphony-2513675

"Billboard revealed that Ashcroft has only ever received $1,000 in publishing money from ‘Bitter Sweet Symphony’, which was paid as part of the settlement deal. Billboard estimates the song’s total publishing revenue over the years at almost $5 million."

Yup, that's what my label manager said as well. To be honest, our song worked out much better without it as not using it forced me to play several instruments I was new to in order to come with an ending to replace what was there before. We're now finally able to release it 4 years later!

2 hours ago, nyc said:

And Sinead O'Connor has talked repeatedly about her experience with him, including in her memoir and in an interview with police, how she thought Prince invited her over to congratulate her for the song's success, and instead he made her eat soup served by his cousin Duane (who Sinead called 'Igor'), chastised her for swearing in interviews, and then had a pillow fight with her, only loading his pillow up with something heavy to actually beat her. She had to run from the house. The whole thing is so insane I wish there was a Dave Chappelle sketch of it.

She gave an interview later on digging a bit more and feeling sorry for him and his status of stardom:

https://people.com/sinead-oconnor-prince-nothing-compares-2-u-drama-explained-7566098

"When I was recording the audio, the thing that messed me up was the Prince chapter," she told PEOPLE. "I had to go to bed for a couple of days because I don't think that I emotionally engaged with it at the time."

Despite her strange encounter with icon, O'Connor says his death affected her deeply — even sharing that she "felt terribly sorry and sad for him."

"I sobbed when he died," O'Connor said. "I just felt terribly sorry and sad for him of the loneliness of his death. The price you pay for being so successful is an awful, aching loneliness, and I think he was terribly lonely, terribly vulnerable."

She added, "The loneliness of fame, I think, was ultimately his undoing."

On 5/9/2024 at 6:58 PM, Honey Little said:

The only person guilty of stealing Madonna songs and not paying royalties is Lady Caca. Madonna showed a lot mercy toward her.

On 5/9/2024 at 7:43 PM, RUADJAI said:

I mean. Not just music too. She basically did Madonna’s career in 2 years time. I say this as a fan. 

But Madonna copied The Slits!!!!!1111

Anyway, The Slits are only known nowadays for having been copied by Madonna, right???