Someone stealing Madonna’s music

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a cover and it's not stealing. :) (If they're paying a part to the writers, which most distributors ask for anyway to avoid trouble).

You're legally to release covers if you pay the % writer share to the original writers, and you don't need permission from the owners. There's thousands of big popular songs covers on streaming! Piano versions, kids versions, orchestral, you name it.

4 hours ago, Fabiolous said:

Madonna is not credited, so I doubt they did

Unlike CD booklets, credits on streaming platforms are not necessarily reliable. What is displayed on the front end doesn't always match with copyright info and right owners in the back end. So I wouldn't judge the rightfulness of this release based on this.

23 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Yes you legally do. That's precisely what copyright is about.

No, you don't.

You don't need permission to release a cover or perform it live if you pay the writers and/or get a license. That's if it's a download store, if it's streaming you don't need at all.

More here:

https://syncsongwriter.com/blog/legally-releasing-cover-songs

You can cover "Vogue" today and upload it tomorrow if you want. It won't be taken down.

But you can not sample "Vogue" in your own song. Samples in derivative works are another story. You usually need the owner permission to do it. And of course for using the original song in ads, movies, series, etc.

Do your homework and properly learn about it before trying to correct information from others. Copyright is a complex thing.

7 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

is a kind of authorization.

If it's a download store, it doesn't change the fact that the right owners should be paid.

The owners are always gonna get paid. The writers royalties goes to the writers and the publishing royalties to the owner of that part (the artist, the label, a company...).

But that doesn't mean the artist who do the cover needs permission for the original owner to do it.

Again, learn more about it if you're interested, it's quite complex. To sum it up:

- Covers: anyone can do them, no need to get a "yes" for the owner -> original owners will get a part of the royalties anyway.

- Samples: owners need to say yes.

- TV/Movies/Ads, etc.: owners need to say yes.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

Does this include TV shows? I live in a small country and they often perform M songs in a show where they imitate the original. I've often wondered how do they make it work and if she gets something from it (this TV show is probably the most watched in my country).

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

The owners are always gonna get paid. The writers royalties goes to the writers and the publishing royalties to the owner of that part (the artist, the label, a company...).

But that doesn't mean the artist who do the cover needs permission for the original owner to do it.

Again, learn more about it if you're interested, it's quite complex. To sum it up:

- Covers: anyone can do them, no need to get a "yes" for the owner -> original owners will get a part of the royalties anyway.

- Samples: owners need to say yes.

I know my job thank you.

As long as your cover is going to be released commercially under any digital or physical format, you need an authorization. These sites are very shady about that because they want to sell you the licensing service which is basically requesting authorizations and making payments.

27 minutes ago, Salida said:

Does this include TV shows? I live in a small country and they often perform M songs in a show where they imitate the original. I've often wondered how do they make it work and if she gets something from it (this TV show is probably the most watched in my country).

Depends on the local broadcasting and copyright laws.

There are many different systems around the world, some are very restrictive or managed only through private commerce law, some are more comprehensive and operate through collecting societies that dispatch the money afterwards according to many calculations.

I guess in your country, broadcasters pay an annual fee to a rights society (according to their viewership and revenue or budget), and then every single properly registered and declared song that is played within that year gets a share.

26 minutes ago, Salida said:

Probably the label has to authorize in this case. Some talent shows with agreements with certain labels only use songs from those labels, etc.

4 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Probably the label has to authorize in this case. Some talent shows with agreements with certain labels only use songs from those labels, etc.

Exactly, there are more and more deals between labels or publishers and tv producers, especially talent shows or song contests.

Anyway @RUADJAI as for the provocative title, I don't think nobody's being stolen for real. Remember the Back That Up To The Beat situation, it's either a malevolence and then the song is going to be taken down, the artist banned and the little money will go back to the rightful owners in the end, or a regular cover as it happens all the time without a lot of fuss because it's the publisher's job to make the song thrive. Reissues and streams are one aspect of legacy and shit, but allowing covers and dealing samples and pushing TV instrumentals to editors is also a big, mostly unseen, part of that job too.

The artist seems to be from the Paris club scene, he must have some kind of credibilty after producing Sally Shapiro and a remix Hall & Oates that helped him make connexions maybe ? It's not that surprising that that type of DJ would try and cover her in the lounge-y house-ish style of the compilations we had on CD in the 2000s. It's summery, light-hearted, forgettable.

I just remember M going off on that rapper for sampling Into the Groove a couple of years ago and she was not happy about it. And aside from that horrible 2000s group that would cover her, there’s rarely any covers. I would assume because she doesn’t want people doing it. 

I’ve always thought that parody and live performances are different but actual covers and samples need permission. And as far as I know, she doesn’t give out permission. Other wise we’d probably have a million people singing these songs everywhere. 

33 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

I just remember M going off on that rapper for sampling Into the Groove a couple of years ago and she was not happy about it. And aside from that horrible 2000s group that would cover her, there’s rarely any covers. I would assume because she doesn’t want people doing it. 

I’ve always thought that parody and live performances are different but actual covers and samples need permission. And as far as I know, she doesn’t give out permission. Other wise we’d probably have a million people singing these songs everywhere. 

There are several albums with covers of Madonna songs:

Italians do it better:

Virgin Voices / A Tribute To Madonna - vol 1 + 2

And lots of covers, from Marc Almond, Kelly Osborne..and the infamous Ciccone Youth [Sonic Youth]