Madonna's Social Influence and Brand Assessment Post-Celebration Tour in Rio de Janeiro

Pedro Beltran

On 6/30/2024 at 7:20 PM, Pedro Beltran said:

So you mean that where applies, there should be a bracket specifically for Gay men and another for the rest of the GBTQ+ community? 

I only say because I think the questions "is Madonna a gay icon?" vs "is Madonna a LGBTQ+ icon?" are wildly different answers. Madonna's audience is mostly gay men, her art and politics have been consciously centered around gay men, she is an icon to gay men specifically, her legacy is intertwined with gay rights.

The change of terminology conflates her affinity to gay men with other demographics that don't necessarily care for her at all. I know most lesbians don't care. And yes she is a bisexual icon too. But there is currently no word that describes homo/bi without hetero attached.

The term "queer" is now understood to also include heterosexual people, so that represents gay men even less. It's pretty important if we're talking about gay men to actually just say gay men.

5 hours ago, godonna said:

I only say because I think the questions "is Madonna a gay icon?" vs "is Madonna a LGBTQ+ icon?" are wildly different answers. Madonna's audience is mostly gay men, her art and politics have been consciously centered around gay men, she is an icon to gay men specifically, her legacy is intertwined with gay rights.

The change of terminology conflates her affinity to gay men with other demographics that don't necessarily care for her at all. I know most lesbians don't care. And yes she is a bisexual icon too. But there is currently no word that describes homo/bi without hetero attached.

The term "queer" is now understood to also include heterosexual people, so that represents gay men even less. It's pretty important if we're talking about gay men to actually just say gay men.

Thanks for explaining, i understand what you mean, but let me explain a little further, the objective of one of the research papers is to identify the importance of Madonna in the construct of social groups, not if one them is more important than the other, as you can see there are many categories to choose from. 

Yes, absolutely Madonna most of all is a gay icon no doubt. But if the research objective was to identify that once all over again the paper would have no contribution to the existing knowledge, as that is already a given and almost a cliché by now. 

Thanks again because this is the kind of contribution I’ll write about in the pilot phase of the study. 🙏🏼🫶🏻

On 7/2/2024 at 1:30 PM, Pedro Beltran said:

Thanks for explaining, i understand what you mean, but let me explain a little further, the objective of one of the research papers is to identify the importance of Madonna in the construct of social groups, not if one them is more important than the other, as you can see there are many categories to choose from. 

Yes, absolutely Madonna most of all is a gay icon no doubt. But if the research objective was to identify that once all over again the paper would have no contribution to the existing knowledge, as that is already a given and almost a cliché by now. 

Thanks again because this is the kind of contribution I’ll write about in the pilot phase of the study. 🙏🏼🫶🏻

Of course! The reason I'm saying it is I believe you will get more accurate results when using more direct terminology.