Wasn't Madonna gonna perform American Pie at the superbowl in 2000

Tudors

Apparently she was set to perform American Pie before the show, not at halftime.

Madonna will perform her new cover of Don McLean’s “American Pie” for the first time at the pregame show for this year’s Super Bowl on Jan. 30, according to MTV News. (The single was recorded for the soundtrack of her upcoming movie “The Next Big Thing.”) Also singing as part of the “Great American Music of the 20th Century” pregame theme will be Tina Turner and Travis Tritt. At halftime the performers will be Christine Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, and Phil Collins.

So it would have been very different to the 2012 event and that may have even happened afterward anyway.

2 hours ago, Adonna said:

From what I gather, she wasn't supposed to be the sole act that year. And if I recall, i believe she was planned to open the game, rather be part of the Half-time as other acts were already planned for the Half-time event.  By then, she was already preparing for the Music album, so I can see the conflict. 

The queen doesn't share the stage with anyone!!!

Opening act for someone else?!?! how dare NPL! :Madonna034:

Especially when she's on top of the game during ROL era.

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I always believed it was because she fell pregnant. Or maybe it was because she realised the film was a dud and wanted to distance herself from it?

Oh yes!!!

She gave birth to Rocco on 11 Aug 2000 (1 month earlier).

Which means she had found out she's 1 month pregnant back in Jan 2000 and of course she rejected the invite.

1 hour ago, BoyToyMark said:

The only other time I think it could've been appropriate for her to do the Super Bowl was in 2002 after the success of Music and the Drowned World Tour. But U2 did it anyway.

I dont know: at that time she was like very distant from her pre bedtime stories persona. She kust returned to Vogue or other hits after American LIfe flopping big time.

8 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

I dont know: at that time she was like very distant from her pre bedtime stories persona. She kust returned to Vogue or other hits after American LIfe flopping big time.

It's so funny to revisit those days now, her shading most of her older songs during that time or just having a look at the set list of the "Drowned World Tour" and only seeing "La Isla" and "Holiday" there (and I remember someone said they even have to convince her to put at least two old hits for the final section?).

WILD.

We've really come a long, long way.

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's so funny to revisit those days now, her shading most of her older songs during that time or just having a look at the set list of the "Drowned World Tour" and only seeing "La Isla" and "Holiday" there (and I remember someone said they even have to convince her to put at least two old hits for the final section?).

WILD.

We've really come a long, long way.

She was in a very reborn state of mind. And really Rol Was so huge. I dont know if younger people understand what this álbum was at its time.

3 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

She was in a very reborn state of mind. And really Rol Was so huge. I dont know if younger people understand what this álbum was at its time.

True, she was already in "f**k the past" mode even before the album was released (when talking to MTV's Kurt Loder she was very clear about it), but when the album exploded and got universal acclaim, she felt even more vindicated to not look back at all. Warner wanted to do a greatest hits compilation in 1999 but she managed to block that and only do a video version ("93:99") while promising them another whole studio album for the next 12 months (what ended up being "Music"). Also, she could have never done the "DWT" set list if she didn't come from two monster projects like "ROL" and "Music". The lack of older hits in the tour was mentioned all the time even in 2001 but she did it.

And yes, "ROL" is one of those eras you need to have lived there to fully get it. She was literally the coolest woman on Earth then and probably never before of after she had the same level of universal acclaim and acceptance from both critics and public. It was COOL to like Madonna.

5 minutes ago, Prayer said:

True, she was already in "f**k the past" mode even before the album was released (when talking to MTV's Kurt Loder she was very clear about it), but when the album exploded and got universal acclaim, she felt even more vindicated to not look back at all. Warner wanted to do a greatest hits compilation in 1999 but she managed to block that and only do a video version ("93:99") while promising them another whole studio album for the next 12 months (what ended up being "Music"). Also, she could have never done the "DWT" set list if she didn't come from two monster projects like "ROL" and "Music". The lack of older hits in the tour was mentioned all the time even in 2001 but she did it.

And yes, "ROL" is one of those eras you need to have lived there to fully get it. She was literally the coolest woman on Earth then and probably never before of after she had the same level of universal acclaim and acceptance from both critics and public. It was COOL to like Madonna.

True, and its super amazing if you knew the erotic backlash a few years before.