Happy 24th, Dick Tracy!

groovyguy

I'm Breathless: Music from and Inspired by the Film Dick Tracy was released on May 22, 1990, by Sire Records.

Posted Image

Track listing
1. "He's a Man"   Madonna, Patrick Leonard
2. "Sooner or Later"   Stephen Sondheim
3. "Hanky Panky"   Madonna, Leonard
4. "I'm Going Bananas"   Michael Kernan, Andy Paley
5. "Cry Baby"   Madonna, Leonard
6. "Something to Remember"   Madonna, Leonard
7. "Back in Business"   Madonna, Leonard
8. "More"   Sondheim Madonna, Bottrell
9. "What Can You Lose" (duet with Mandy Patinkin) Sondheim
10. "Now I'm Following You" (Part I) (duet with Warren Beatty) Paley, Jeff Lass, Ned Claflin, Jonathan Paley 11. "Now I'm Following You" (Part II) (duet with Warren Beatty) Paley, Lass, Claflin, Paley
12. "Vogue"   Madonna, Shep Pettibone

I'm surprised Madonna wasn't panned more for her role in this film.  Of course, she looked flawless. But some of the lines she delivered were so awkward and stiff. I think she got a pass because it was just a huge ensemble cast for a cartoon film brought to life. At the time, Warren Beatty was highly respected as a director/actor and people were eager to see this film. It's still a cool film and I love seeing Madonna in it. I just felt her role seemed hit and miss at times. 

The soundtrack has some stunning vocals from her, even though a few of the songs are just plain ridiculous. Still, they are fun.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/7-Days-Of-THE-LORD-THE-MASTER-Day-3-EVITA-DICK-TRACY-Madonna-20140614#.U550adLVCSq

7 Days Of THE LORD & THE MASTER: Day #3 - EVITA, DICK TRACY & Madonna
...a tribute to two movies for which they each received Academy Awards, EVITA and DICK TRACY, respectively.

Sooner Or Later
"Sooner or later you're gonna be mine / Sooner or later you're gonna be fine," sings the sexy siren known as Breathless Mahoney in Warren Beatty's eye-popping classic detective comic book adaptation DICK TRACY. As portrayed by international multimedia superstar Madonna in the movie itself, the song is a showstopping musical moment in a film overflowing with some of Stephen Sondheim's jauntiest, instantly engaging and just plain entertaining music to date. The gist of the lyrics could very well apply to the desire of many in Hollywood to receive the top prize of all, as well - the Academy Award statuette. Subsequently, in 1991, Sondheim got his man, to turn a phrase on his own lyrics for the stupendous torch song - in this case, Oscar himself, for "Sooner Or Later (I Always Get My Man)".

In addition to "Sooner Or Later", Madonna also performed the slinky and insinuating "More" and the moving Mandy Patinkin duet "What Can You Lose?" in the film. Plus, Sondheim also penned two tunes used as background music that eloquently and expertly reflected the onscreen action in the form of the Mel Torme charmer "Live Alone And Like It" as well as the bouncy female trio showcase "Back In Business". All of the musical material displays Sondheim's urbane wit and way with a catchy lyric while also exhibiting his too often ignored ability to create an unforgettable earworm all the while.

I'm surprised Madonna wasn't panned more for her role in this film.  Of course, she looked flawless. But some of the lines she delivered were so awkward and stiff. I think she got a pass because it was just a huge ensemble cast for a cartoon film brought to life.

I completely agree with you, her acting is akward. I love her look and the songs she recorded though.

The Blu-ray looks AWESOME :hearteyes: