Your favorite Madonna movie?

I will have to say "Who's That Girl?"  Yes, over the top and ridiculous at times, but she was classic in that film as Niki Finn. While her character seem to take on different (crazy) personas at times, I felt she was at her most ease with this role. In fact, I had noticed it was after this role, her acting became more stiff and awkward. It seemed in future films she had the film presence down pact, but once she spoke it seemed she wasn't believeable. I didn't get that feeling in her earlier films "Desperately Seeking Susan" (which was playing up the persona she was known for in her real life) and "Shanghai Surprise".  In fact, the latter film it wasn't her acting that was bad, it was the film somewhat (or maybe should I say the music that killed it). Her first three major roles, she seemed more at ease and convincing in the roles. After that, I never thought the same. 

Of course, I would say Truth or Dare is my ultimate favorite, but it's more of a documentary of sorts where she's being herself.

My top 10 Madonna films.

1. Who's That Girl (Dumb movie, but pure fun to watch)

2 Truth Or Dare (MADONNA!!)

3. A League of Their Own (acting was awkward, but playing herself)

4. Body of Evidence (bad/stiff acting alert, but good story even though Sharon Stone did it a couple years prior)

5. Dick Tracy (Looked great, but stiff)

6. The Next Best Thing (I enjoyed it. Bad lighting and some awkward acting on M's part, but it was a cute film).

7. Desperately Seeking Susan (Just being herself, but found the film a little boring)

8. Shanghai Surprise (She wasn't the issue in the film)

9. Bloodhounds of Broadway (I only enjoyed her parts especially when she sang with Jennifer Grey)

10. Swept Away (first half, awful. Once they were stranded it got interesting and Madonna actually was bearable. I loved how she groveled. The end was her best. I really felt for her when she was tearing up at the end.)

Another excellent post. I loved Who's That Girl too. It was a kick to watch. Ok, my rankings...

1. Evita - Epic

2.  A League Of Our Own - So funny and such a good story. I loved her acting in this except for the crying scene)

3. TIE with: Truth or Dare (classic) and Who's That Girl - So zany and fun. Loved her accent

4. Desperately Seeking Susan - she was so mesmerizing.

5. The Next Best Thing - acting not good, but, she looked so beautiful

6. Body Of Evidence - ditto to the above

7. Swept Away - ditto to the above

8. Shanghai Surprise- I had trouble watching this all the way through

9. Dick Tracy - loved some of the music and the way she looked, but, that's it

Bloodhounds Of Broadway - I shouldn't judge this one since I haven't seen it yet and only parts of it.

I havent seen Shangai...Id have to say her best acting for me was ALOTO. When I watch it I dont even have in my mind that its her. She was also good in Snake Eyes but i dont remember what the film is about.The rest are all pretty much equally bad/awkward/silly for me. But i enjoy Swept Away, Body Of Evidence and even Whos That Girl.TNBT's first half was promising I guess but the second half? Kill me. lolI guess we are not counting Evita. It was a long music video and shes always great in those.In recent years theres been a few rumours about producers wanting her for parts... Mostly to play washed up stars lol and she wouldnt take those roles. Id like to see her act again but its just not really her thing :/

OMG, I had totally forgotten EVITA. Well of course, that was a great role and she was fantastic in it. Though, like mentioned it was like one long music video and she's always done well with characters in music. So yeah, it fits somewhere in the top 5 of my list.

Dangerous Game aka Snake Eyes... I will say included her BEST acting, but in the parts where she was actually rehearsing/filming for a role in the film. The film was just plain awful, and I had to shut it off at least once and come back to it. I was more interested in the movie they were making than the film itself. LOL!

As for ALOTO, I did feel like it was just Madonna being Madonna in that film but with a baseball uniform/theme. Many of her lines were very contrived especially the part that she talkes about her "bosoms come flying out". There is no doubt in my mind she screwed up that line and they just kept it, in hopes it looked more natural. The crying scene... awful. Still, I liked the movie, but she wasn't at her best in it. It worked because there were so many superb actors in the movie and the movie was interesting. I felt Rosie carried Madonna mostly. She set up the gag lines for her.

And you must watch Shanghai Surprise. She's pretty good in it. The music does set the tone of the movie unfortunately. It's pretty awful. It's not the greatest movie, but entertaining enough.

I still think ALOTO is the most enjoyable of her good performances.

Snake Eyes had her best acting but who cares about that movie lol

Oh yes, she was quite enjoyable. Her character suited the public persona that people knew of her then. Keep in mind, this was a year and half after the Justify My Love video controversy and a couple of months before SEX would come out as well as the Erotica album. That summer when the movie came out, there were a lot of talk going on about this possible "coffee table book of nudes" going to be released. "This Used To Be My Playground" softened the blow. 

I watched Bloodhounds of Broadway for the first time a few weeks ago and I was surprised Madonna's acting wasn't that bad. Still, I wouldn't include it in my Top 3 Madonna films:

1. The Next Best Thing ---> great plot

2. A League of their Own ---> nice plot, nice acting

3. Who's That Girl ---> classic and hilarious character

I really consider Evita a smart move on her part but Musicals in general bore me to death :stress: I don't include her rockumentaries since they are really different kind of films.

I dislike The Next Best Thing because I feel like the first half of the movie is what they intended and the second half of the movie is what happened after they ran out of script and ideas and decided to do a third rate court drama type of thing.

And the way her character "transformed". I wanted to punch her character. She was horrible!, but it wasn't organic...... :stare:

All in all I'm glad some people like it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone...

I dislike The Next Best Thing because I feel like the first half of the movie is what they intended and the second half of the movie is what happened after they ran out of script and ideas and decided to do a third rate court drama type of thing.

And the way her character "transformed". I wanted to punch her character. She was horrible!, but it wasn't organic...... :stare:

All in all I'm glad some people like it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone...

100% agree on the Next Best Thing front - and it went south so fast in terms of them fighting with one another. 

Best Performance - Evita 

Most Entertaining - A League of Their Own 

Guilty Pleasure - Body of Evidence 

Best Performance - Evita 

I agree, but for "most entertaining" I'd probably choose "Who's That Girl". Like mentioned before she was hilarious in that.

I'm shocked at the many fans who haven't seen Shanghai Surprise. What are you waiting for? Madonna looks beautiful in it and you really feel the chemistry between Sean and Madonna in that movie. I still think what kills the movie is the score of the film. It's an interesting enough movie to watch and keeps your interest.

"Where is Madonna?" Not sure I understand that since she was one of the lead roles in the film?

I really felt that acted much better in this movie than anything after. She seemed much more at ease and less stiff.

1. Snake Eyes (depressing movie though, but most believable acting)

2. Evita (a long-form music video though , i agree)

3. A league of their own (SO entertaining, would have loved to see more of her acting "herself" like this)

4. Desperately seeking Susan (herself again, love it)

5. The Next Best Thing (i loved the whole subject-matter and what they tried to express, although it DOES seem like  a tv- drama in the second half)

the rest...lines itself up in no particular order.

• 1 year later...
https://youtu.be/WJfPgjR_czA1.Body Of Evidence (Her acting was great,especially when she tells Frank she done it, and you have togive her credit love scenes are hard to portray realistically and gracefully and she was perfectionin those scenes, she said those scenes were difficult for her to perform.) Great Suspense did she ordidn't she? and she was beautiful! Every Madonna fan should watch this! ♡2.Swept Away - Nobody gave this film half a chance, Limited showings in cinemas throughout the USA.It was shot down before it was even released to the Theaters, sad really. I thought it was very funnyI know Madonna's Amber was a super bitch but I found her sarcasm towards Peppe hilarious, thenwhen they were stranded on the island it really got serious and very interesting and you seen Amber'stransformation and it was genuine, the ending is so sad and Madonna played the ending scenes beautifullyI enjoyed her acting throughout the film. She looked beautiful too.3.The Next Best Thing - Madonna was so beautiful in this film and again her acting was not awful I thoughtthat she gave it her all, interesting storyline, the only dislike was the courtroom scenes, nothing todo with Madonna's performance, and the scene where she tells Robert about Sam - she is brilliant andbelieveable.)4.Dangerous Game - What a dark and heavy film, Madonna's acting is brilliant she evens draws from a verypersonal and sensitive event in her life in one of the scenes. Great performance from her. The film isso dark that I can't watch it much and I would be lying if I didn't say the parts she played as SarahJennings she looked Gorgeous♡5.Who's That Girl - Great screw-ball comedy, Madonna's Nikki Finn is so zany and cute there is an innocence to this movie. Madonna's performance was great to me. I grew up on this film and 2 others.6.Shanghai Surprise- First off Madonna is so Beautiful in this film and she is so sweet & vulnerable and I think the chemistry between her and Sean was great. The plot isn't wonderful but Madonna makes upfor it ♡♡7.Desperately Seeking Susan- A Classic Madonna film! She a was perfection in this movie, the story isSlightly boring but whenever Madonna is on screen wow! and yes she is knock out gorgeous in this movie.There is also Iconic Madonna clothing in the film.8.A League of Their Own - A Great feel good movie. Any scene that has Madonna in it! Many good memoriesof this film.9.A Certain Sacrifice - I have always been fasinated with the young pre-fame Madonna and this gives meinsight into who M was before she became famous. I find the Madonna's scenes fasinating.Her Musicals Evita & Documentaries Truth or Dare and I'm Going To Tell You A Secret are fantasticI don't include them because she excels in music. Dick Tracy is another film that is praise worthy looks stunningly gorgeous and plays Breathless with perfection! Those are my favorite Madonna movies. I wish she would act in movies again, I miss her in films

Id agree with your list.  :thumbsup:

Best Performance - Evita 

me as well

I guess my fave would still be W/E - of course she's not featured on the film.

But you can taste her in each and every apect of it. she's much more of a cinephile than an actress, however she

knows how to impress when she's well directed (or when she directs herself) :mama002: