Madonna pens foreword for David Collins' book

Fighter

Madonna has penned a tribute to her late best friend David Collins, whose long-awaited book ABC DCS has been published by Assouline.

The fabric-covered coffee table book, an A-to-Z of Collins’ design philosophy, was written by him and completed by David Kendall at David Collins Studio in London after Collins death from cancer last July. It is full of the Irish decorator’s frankness and humor - “Fashion can be the kiss of death for an interior,” he writes - and lush images of his work in both the private and public  spheres.

In her own surprisingly witty style, Madonna talks in the foreword  about their early days together, how Collins supported her emotionally, how he made her fall in love with London – and she even reveals some private jokes. “He took to calling me Muriel after we saw Muriel’s Wedding, because he said it was sacrilegious and downright ridiculous to say my name in public or private,” Madonna writes. “Occasionally, I would incorporate his lyrics into a song I was writing, and even though I was tempted to take credit for his genius wordplay, I could not, because that is not the kind of girl Muriel is.”

On Thursday night, Collins’ old pals and colleagues gathered at Spencer House in London for the launch. “David worked on the book for a very long time, and his beloved trademark blues are throughout,” said Collins’ longtime friend Tom Konig-Oppenheimer. “He loved life more than almost anyone I have every met. He was the party.”

Madonna attended his funeral last July in Dublin.