Lucky Star Video Trivia

me1981

35 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

The Borderline video was shot around February 12th. 
Madonna was on her European promo tour until January 30th

There are a lot of sources that are pin pointing some sort of production started by January 30th.  But yes, you are correct that Studio Marker and the ET Interview show Feb 12th was one of the days Borderline was shot.  Still, my point was Lucky Star video wasn't shot before Borderline!  Most likely shortly after if not nearly back to bak. Thanks for the further input on this!  :luv:

5 minutes ago, McDonna said:

There are a lot of sources that are pin pointing some sort of production started by January 30th.  But yes, you are correct that Studio Marker and the ET Interview show Feb 12th was one of the days Borderline was shot.  Still, my point was Lucky Star video wasn't shot before Borderline!  Most likely shortly after if not nearly back to bak. Thanks for the further input on this!  :luv:

As far as I know we have no idea how long she was in LA in February, do we? 
The Lucky Star video was undoubtedly shot in one day. Could have been days before borderline… 

7 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

As far as I know we have no idea how long she was in LA in February, do we? 
The Lucky Star video was undoubtedly shot in one day. Could have been days before borderline… 

It definitely was shot sometime in early '84 near the same time Borderline was.  :)

So, based on what I read here and on wikipedia, is the following timeline correct?

2 October 1982. Everybody single is released in the USA. Is the single released in the UK? This is also Madonna's first music video but she didn't really consider it as such.

9 March 1983. Burning up/Physical attraction single is released in the USA.... is the single released in the UK? A video for Burning up is also released and Madonna would consider this her first video

27 July 1983. "Madonna" album released.

? August 1983. Lucky Star / Holiday single is  released in the USA (is this single released in the UK?). A month later it peaks at # 1 on the Dance Club Songs chart becoming  Madonna's very first number one on any Billboard chart. (so I guess by this time both songs were already quite popular)

7 September 1983. Holiday single is released in the USA due to heavy radio play (no video made)

8 September 1983. Lucky Star is released in the UK (what happened to this single commercially speaking? is it successful at this point?). No video for Lucky star (yet). If all previous singles are not released in the UK, then the Bridget Johns answer is correct?

29 October 1983. "Holiday", as a stand-alone single, enters the Hot 100 at number 88, becoming Madonna's first Billboard Hot 100 entry.

28 January 1984. Holiday peaks at #16 on the Hot 100

? January 1984. Holiday is released in the UK

February 1984. The videos for Borderline and Lucky Star are shot... we are not able to agree on the specific dates? When are they released?

15 February 1984. Borderline is released in the USA. When is the video released? Madonna will consider this her second video.

18 February 1984. Holiday peaks #6 in the UK

17 March 1984. Lucky Star debuts on the UK singles chart. It will peak at #14 three weeks later. Why did it take so long to enter the chart if the single had been released in september? was it re-released in March?

20 April 1984. "Madonna" peaks at #37 in the UK

? June 1984. Borderline is released in the UK. It will peak at #56 a couple of weeks later.

16 June 1984, Borderline peaks at #10 in the USA, becoming Madonna's first top-ten hit

8 August 1984. Lucky Star is released in the USA. It peaks at #4, becoming the singer's first top-five hit.

20 October  1984. "Madonna" peaks at #8 in the USA just days before the release of the "Like a Virgin" single

Summer 1985. Holiday is re-released in the UK, peaking #2

17 July 1985. "Madonna - The first album" is released in the UK. It will peak at #6

? January 1986. Borderline is re-released in the UK, peaking #2

I apologise for any mistakes.

10 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I am quite sure I read somewhere lucky star and borderline were shot back to back but I couldn’t remember the source.

Unless we see proof I do not believe it was shown on mtv at the same time as Borderline, that would make no sense. It was done for the uk.

yes, in her first Australian interview with Molly Meldrum on April 16, 1984 she mentioned that the Lucky Star video was only meant to be aired in Europe and was surprised Australia and the US were airing it.

5 hours ago, Frankito said:

So, based on what I read here and on wikipedia, is the following timeline correct?

2 October 1982. Everybody single is released in the USA. Is the single released in the UK? This is also Madonna's first music video but she didn't really consider it as such.

9 March 1983. Burning up/Physical attraction single is released in the USA.... is the single released in the UK? A video for Burning up is also released and Madonna would consider this her first video

27 July 1983. "Madonna" album released.

? August 1983. Lucky Star / Holiday single is  released in the USA (is this single released in the UK?). A month later it peaks at # 1 on the Dance Club Songs chart becoming  Madonna's very first number one on any Billboard chart. (so I guess by this time both songs were already quite popular)

7 September 1983. Holiday single is released in the USA due to heavy radio play (no video made)

8 September 1983. Lucky Star is released in the UK (what happened to this single commercially speaking? is it successful at this point?). No video for Lucky star (yet). If all previous singles are not released in the UK, then the Bridget Johns answer is correct?

29 October 1983. "Holiday", as a stand-alone single, enters the Hot 100 at number 88, becoming Madonna's first Billboard Hot 100 entry.

28 January 1984. Holiday peaks at #16 on the Hot 100

? January 1984. Holiday is released in the UK

February 1984. The videos for Borderline and Lucky Star are shot... we are not able to agree on the specific dates? When are they released?

15 February 1984. Borderline is released in the USA. When is the video released? Madonna will consider this her second video.

18 February 1984. Holiday peaks #6 in the UK

17 March 1984. Lucky Star debuts on the UK singles chart. It will peak at #14 three weeks later. Why did it take so long to enter the chart if the single had been released in september? was it re-released in March?

20 April 1984. "Madonna" peaks at #37 in the UK

? June 1984. Borderline is released in the UK. It will peak at #56 a couple of weeks later.

16 June 1984, Borderline peaks at #10 in the USA, becoming Madonna's first top-ten hit

8 August 1984. Lucky Star is released in the USA. It peaks at #4, becoming the singer's first top-five hit.

20 October  1984. "Madonna" peaks at #8 in the USA just days before the release of the "Like a Virgin" single

Summer 1985. Holiday is re-released in the UK, peaking #2

17 July 1985. "Madonna - The first album" is released in the UK. It will peak at #6

? January 1986. Borderline is re-released in the UK, peaking #2

I apologise for any mistakes.

Hi Frankito - all of your questions regarding 1983 have been answered on my Instagram account 

@webo_1958 

check it out xxx 

3 hours ago, Honey Little said:

I believe the Lucky Star video was shot after Like a Virgin. But it was released in the UK after the Live to Tell video. Borderline was shot after Burning up and before Like a Virgin but released in the USA a month before Gambler.

Thank you for clarifying this once and for all!

On 2/29/2024 at 2:17 PM, Blue Jean said:

I am quite sure I read somewhere lucky star and borderline were shot back to back but I couldn’t remember the source.

Unless we see proof I do not believe it was shown on mtv at the same time as Borderline, that would make no sense. It was done for the uk.

Billboard published MTV's rotation list. Lucky Star was added in May on light rotation. So it wasn't promoted as a new single or competing with Borderline. It was likely due to the fact that the B-Side to the Borderline 12" was Lucky Star.

Madonna was heating up at this point and MTV likely was taking advantage of that, along with Sire/WB. Just remember on MTV Burning Up was played when Holiday was the single in release. Sire was really just throwing everything out there in the hopes something would help her cross over to mainstream success. 

Also remember WB refused to release Into the Groove as a single but it didn't stop radio stations from ripping the audio from the music video and playing the song on radio until WB gave in and put out the Angel/Into the Groove 12"