Rank Movies Madonna is in

RebelHeARTPOP

I actually do think Madonna is a good actress. She has convinced many for years of a public persona that I believe does not remotely tell the full story.

In film Madonna often doesn't embrace her strengths. Also, I never thought she took the "art" of acting seriously enough so for a performer like that she should stay with what she does take seriously, music and words, love for the art world, etc and perform with those in mind in the film genre. She has a tendency it seems to conquer what is out of her comfort zone in films and it doesn't work.

So as far as a list these are the performances I have enjoyed the most:

Truth Or Dare

Evita

Desperately Seeking Susan

A League Of Their Own

I'm Gonna Tell You A Secret

Dick Tracy

Who's That Girl (Not the film of the century but I find it cute and entertaining.)

Bloodhounds Of Broadway (I saw this so long ago I barely remember it but I liked the way Madonna was dressed.)

Swept Away (I kinda liked this in some parts, in others it's unwatchable. I did like her musical part though.)

I have to say I have never seen A Dangerous Game. Perhaps the title? I usually see films in the purely drama, comedy or romantic genre. I honestly know nothing about it.

I'm not including her documentaries, as I think as a fan they are required viewing, or cameo or minor roles.

1. Desperately Seeking Susan

This is  a great movie that has aged well. Madonna is a lot of fun in the film and Susan Seidelman really captures the NYC of the 80's. Critics really loved the film back in the day for good reason.

2. Evita

This movie is lavish and Madonna is amazing. Everything is top notch in the production.

3. A League of Their Own

With or without Madonna this film is still one of my favourites, Madonna's performance is solid, yeah it gets quite sentimental, but it is offset by some great looking cinematography and great comedic performances. Jon Lovitz in a small role is hilarious.

4. Dick Tracy

I am mixed about this one. I get what Beatty was doing, and the film is fun, but I don't think he quite pulled it off, I didn't actually enjoy it all that much as a kid and find myself mostly watching isolated scenes from the film now days. Madonna is fantastic in the first scene with Dick and Breathless.

5. Bloodhounds of Broadway

This convinced me Madonna could really act (by this point many were convinced she could not) although she is barely in this film. It has its charm, but at the same time seems long for a film with such a short run time. I would recommend it for the great costume design and solid recreation of the 20's era. I get the feeling this film may have been chopped up in the editing room.

6. Who's That Girl?

I wanted to put this one higher, but being honest, it isn't a great film. The script needed work, just to tighten up the plot and add a bit more comedy, Madonna's performance needed to be reigned in. James Foley stated he really didn't direct Madonna, and it shows. I felt with a bit more direction she could have given a great comedic performance. The movie has such charm, Madonna is still good in it. I definitely recommend this one, even if it isn't the best.

7. Body of Evidence

A dud, but actually not too hard to watch. Madonna isn't all bad, but her dialogue can be laughable and she is stiff and unconvincing through most of it. It plays more like a made for cable movie, I honestly don't understand what Madonna thought was so good about this script. It is just awful. 

8. Dangerous Game

Meh, kinda interesting. Madonna is fantastic in this. Even critics that hated her, praised her acting. The movie itself is difficult to get through and quite heavy. Though I was 13 when I saw it, lol.

9. Shanghai Surprise

Watched this again recently. Not as bad as I remembered, but not great either. About 10 minutes in you start to wonder if there was a script or if the producers were just making it up as they went along. It rambles into nowhere and has no real structure. Madonna is okay in most of her scenes, a little stiff. The worst of it comes when she falls out the window into the mud, her acting in that scene is atrocious, her fake crying was awful.

10. Swept Away

Watch the original. What is odd is that Madonna's performances got worse as she went on. Even in the bad films of the 80's/90's she managed to come across a little more convincingly. Ritchie's direction is only okay (comparitive to his other efforts) Madonna is terrible, but it has some beautifully shot scenes.

11. The Next Best Thing

The moment I first saw Madonna on screen and heard her utter her first line, I gave up and realised her acting career was done. "He's leaving me" has to be the worst line reading I have ever heard in the history of film. I can't even describe how poor her performance is in this, on top of it all the movie is not great, I would avoid this one, you are not missing anything and believe me you will lose a tiny amount of respect for Madonna if you see her performance (lol just kidding, sort of)

Ultimately I think Madonna had a raw talent that needed a good acting coach to be moulded, she had great comedic timing and could have been a solid comedic actress. She has poor choice in films, sometimes it is difficult to tell a good movie simply from a script, but many of her bad films had such horrible dialogue I am baffled as to why she thought they were so good.

• 1 month later...