Madonna as an Actress

MarXus

8 hours ago, PatrickSamuel said:

My personal favourite is Bloodhounds of Broadway. There's just something special about that film for me. There's not too much of her, which is good. I have a very soft spot for the director, Howard Brookner, and what he was going through whilst making that movie. I think secretly this film means a lot to Madonna but maybe she decided not to speak of it so as not to overshadow it with her own persona... It's really not a "Madonna" film and I quite like that about it. I love its setting as well, NYE before the stock market crash, before WWII. In that way alone it shares something with Caberet. The full tapes of those songs with the original music (before it was mixed differently for the film) exists and are probably with Howard's nephew, and possibly Patrick Leonard, if they didn't end up in Darlene Lutz's locker and auctioned off. 

What I loved about BOB was the singing part with Jennifer Grey.  She sounded so sweet singing in the film.  The film pretty much bored me. 

1 hour ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

She'd be a killer in silent movies. She emotes so much with her eyes and expressions but when it comes to speaking, it comes off hammy and wooden. As if she's trying to hit a bar in her mind but it comes off as line reading or being too aware of the camera versus natural. She did have good timing for comedy and emotions but most of the time her lines don't feel natural given how she's always commanded the camera and has been noted as being uncomfortable with others giving her direction and having the control over the final product. 

Totally agree here.  You really get that "wooden" feel at the beginning of Body of Evidence.  But I hadn't really noticed this sort of delivery until this film and some in Dick Tracy.  Her films before that she seemed far more natural sounding.  Though as Nikki Finn, I will admit she is far from Oscar material there, but she was so damn fun, it's forgiveable. 

I enjoyed her in A League Of Their Own & Desperately Seeking Susan. That was about it. Although I have heard she is good in Evita I am not crazy for musicals and never saw it. Even on Will & Grace which I found hilarious at the time, she fell flat for me.  Her music on the other hand......I LOVE!!

I remember an interview in the 90s when a producer said: "Madonna is a movie star without a movie." - and that's it: She has had everything a movie star needed - the look, the charisma, the moves, a worldwide attention -, but she often had an attraction for extremely weak productions that wouldn't have been saved by world-class actresses.

Glenn Close wouldn't have saved Body of Evidence, Cate Blanchett wouldn't have saved The Next Best Thing and Nicole Kidman wouldn't have saved Swept Away. These productions were doomed to fail before Madonna took part. If the conditions are right, then Madonna shines, as in Susan, Evita and A League of Their Own. 

Edited by Levon (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, Levon said:

I remember an interview in the 90s when a producer said: "Madonna is a movie star without a movie." - and that's it: She has had everything a movie star needed - the look, the charisma, the moves, a worldwide attention -, but she often had an attraction for extremely weak productions that wouldn't have been saved by world-class actresses.

Glenn Close wouldn't have saved Body of Evidence, Cate Blanchett wouldn't have saved The Next Best Thing and Nicole Kidman wouldn't have saved Swept Away. These productions were doomed to fail before Madonna took part. If the conditions are right, then Madonna shines, as in Susan, Evita and A League of Their Own. 

So true!!

I loved Evita (the spanish version with Paloma San Basilio) since 1982 . So Madonna as Evita is an incredible gift for me and in my humble opinion the film is a masterpiece. It's her singing during two hours. 

I like her in Desperately Seeking Susan, A League of Their Own and Body of Evidence.

But, I'm sorry, I seriously want to forget the rest of her filmography.