Patrick Leonard and Shep Pettibone on Celebration Tour?

I saw that Willim Orbit and Mirwais were in some dates invited by madonna, even Dallas Austin was there... Why Patrick Leonard and Shep didnt get an invitation or werent there? They dont talk to each other or have a not that good relationship? I mean they are producers of her early biggest hits... 

I wouldn't read too much into them not being there, really. Shep Pettibone has been apart from music for decades now and Patrick Leonard maybe couldn't make it to one of the shows or whatever.

Also, we don't know if Orbit, Mirwais and Dallas Austin were invited by her or they went by themselves - Niki and Donna did. I'd say Mirwais was invited, the rest... not so sure, really.

Stuart is the musical director so that doesn't count.

Imagine if shep went to MX tour and saw the trainwreck that M gave rescue me - he would have walked out ! i think he runs hotels now ? shame as he was an amazing producer - i would love to meet him and of course Pat - pat has always spoken very highly of M and their relationship - he even said a few years back that he would work with her again but M seems more interested in electro beats and rent a rapper rather than quality music/musicians now :(

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

I wouldn't read too much into them not being there, really. Shep Pettibone has been apart from music for decades now and Patrick Leonard maybe couldn't make it to one of the shows or whatever.

Also, we don't know if Orbit, Mirwais and Dallas Austin were invited by her or they went by themselves - Niki and Donna did. I'd say Mirwais was invited, the rest... not so sure, really.

Stuart is the musical director so that doesn't count.

N + D had friends and family tickets. I think most of the major players in M’s career are extended that offer. In M’s case, you pay face value and get prime seating. If she personally invites someone I imagine it’s free! 😂

31 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

N + D had friends and family tickets. I think most of the major players in M’s career are extended that offer. In M’s case, you pay face value and get prime seating. If she personally invites someone I imagine it’s free! 😂

Are we sure they did? I don't remember reading that when they were there?

Plus she didn't acknowledge them at all from stage.

But if they did I'm very happy for them, of course.

M and Pat Leonard seem to keep in touch professionally (he even got into the mix defending Madonna when M's former art dealer was auctioning random items like her used hairbrush AND the LAP demo cassette a few years back)  but  M and Shep not so much. Shep was originally producing Bedtime Stories tracks but she decided to go more R & B as well as she was probably distancing herself from Erotica / SEX book era bc of the US backlash. "Thanx to Shep Pettibone for being understanding" is in her liner notes thank you's. He sued her over some of the BS music they cowrote and he ended up getting credit and getting paid. While he doesn't usually give interviews since he retired himself from music and runs a pretty successful hotel & club in NJ, he sounds kind of full of himself when he does talk Madonna. I still love many of his remixes & I understand his type of remix production was revolutionary; he just comes off as arrogant.

1 hour ago, DiegoLCL said:

Please, stop with this "rent a rapper" racist nonsense.
Madonna has worked with rappers for over 30 years and has been doing features on every project for 20 years straight now because she likes it. Get over it!

Too much obsession with rescue me, 1987 and Bedtime Story 2004 in HD can cause this

2 hours ago, DiegoLCL said:

Madonna has worked with rappers for over 30 years and has been doing features on every project for 20 years straight now because she likes it. Get over it!

Mr extra black radio for hire remix = thinks 'Soweto' is a club
"rent a rapper" is a recognised concept

:om:

3 hours ago, DiegoLCL said:

Funny coincidence but  "Did You Do it?" from Erotica is arguably a rap song with featuring Madonna. 

3 hours ago, Magic Pussy said:

Shep was originally producing Bedtime Stories tracks but she decided to go more R & B as well as she was probably distancing herself from Erotica / SEX book era bc of the US backlash. "Thanx to Shep Pettibone for being understanding" is in her liner notes thank you's. He sued her over some of the BS music they cowrote and he ended up getting credit and getting paid.

He co-wrote and produced a demo called "Something's Coming Over Me", which was then developed into "Secret" by Madonna and Dallas Austin, and Shep Pettibone was later given a co-writing credit due to his involvement in the creation of an early demo version.

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=11&ti=1,11&Search_Arg=something's coming over me&Search_Code=TALL&CNT=25&PID=bRzfdv5l2SVH945YZLJxqvGT61-g2&SEQ=20240429221453&SID=4

8 hours ago, Magic Pussy said:

M and Pat Leonard seem to keep in touch professionally (he even got into the mix defending Madonna when M's former art dealer was auctioning random items like her used hairbrush AND the LAP demo cassette a few years back)  but  M and Shep not so much. Shep was originally producing Bedtime Stories tracks but she decided to go more R & B as well as she was probably distancing herself from Erotica / SEX book era bc of the US backlash. "Thanx to Shep Pettibone for being understanding" is in her liner notes thank you's. He sued her over some of the BS music they cowrote and he ended up getting credit and getting paid. While he doesn't usually give interviews since he retired himself from music and runs a pretty successful hotel & club in NJ, he sounds kind of full of himself when he does talk Madonna. I still love many of his remixes & I understand his type of remix production was revolutionary; he just comes off as arrogant.

Well apparently he screwed Tony Shimkin over in terms of writing credits which Madonna didnt find out until AFTER the fact.

Shep did an interview about 10-12 years ago for first time talking mostly about Vogue and what he did:

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/vogue-producer-shep-pettibone-interview-6575923/

And Patrick had few interviews mentioning Madonna in good terms and he was indeed vocal and protective about the selling of her tapes few years ago.

I think Sandra explained it quite clear on her last interview when she is asked about Madonna's relationship. She said that Madonna is someone that doesn't cling into every relationship in her life and she  can keep moving and making new acquaintances. I think that working with some like Madonna might make you believe that you have a stronger bound and for her it might be not far from a work effort.

5 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

Shep did an interview about 10-12 years ago for first time talking mostly about Vogue and what he did:

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/vogue-producer-shep-pettibone-interview-6575923/

And Patrick had few interviews mentioning Madonna in good terms and he was indeed vocal and protective about the selling of her tapes few years ago.

I think Sandra explained it quite clear on her last interview when she is asked about Madonna's relationship. She said that Madonna is someone that doesn't cling into every relationship in her life and she  can keep moving and making new acquaintances. I think that working with some like Madonna might make you believe that you have a stronger bound and for her it might be not far from a work effort.

Except she's had Debi as a friend for over 40 years, Ingrid and Rosie for over 30 and the past decade has worked with collaborators shes had since the 90s. Even Pat was rumored to have worked with her for thr biopic not to mention had him score I Am Because We Are in 2008. Plus she's worked with Jonas for 25 years and Klein for 20 years. I would say most of us have relationships that last both that long and cut out that many people especially when we reach the age of 65.

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Except she's had Debi as a friend for over 40 years, Ingrid and Rosie for over 30 and the past decade has worked with collaborators shes had since the 90s. Even Pat was rumored to have worked with her for thr biopic not to mention had him score I Am Because We Are in 2008. Plus she's worked with Jonas for 25 years and Klein for 20 years. I would say most of us have relationships that last both that long and cut out that many people especially when we reach the age of 65.

I agree, i wasn't ignoring all of these relations, that's why I said  'into EVERY relationship in her life'

Sandra said that she stills friends with people from her NY club days years go and Madonna wouldn't do that. I personally do the same.

23 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

I agree, i wasn't ignoring all of these relations, that's why I said  'into EVERY relationship in her life'

Sandra said that she stills friends with people from her NY club days years go and Madonna wouldn't do that. I personally do the same.

I think its more of a Sandra thing since even Chris mentions how negative she was in the book and who knows about the whole Ingrid thing

11 hours ago, Alibaba said:

Rosanna Arquette was at least two shows.

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Well apparently he screwed Tony Shimkin over in terms of writing credits which Madonna didnt find out until AFTER the fact.

Yes! I forget which exact songs but Tony didn’t get credit for all of his work on a few songs from Erotica and Shep sort of c-ck blocked the credits. I think he got a credit on why’s it so hard esp since his background vocals made the final mix. The  person who interviewed him a few years ago is probably on Madonna-infinity so I’ll spare myself the embarrassment of misquoting him.

20 minutes ago, Magic Pussy said:

Yes! I forget which exact songs but Tony didn’t get credit for all of his work on a few songs from Erotica and Shep sort of c-ck blocked the credits. I think he got a credit on why’s it so hard esp since his background vocals made the final mix. The  person who interviewed him a few years ago is probably on Madonna-infinity so I’ll spare myself the embarrassment of misquoting him.

Tony Shimkin talked about it with Madonna Tribe years ago:

https://www.madonnatribe.com/idol/tony_shimkin.htm

"When the album was originally released I was told by Shep I had to choose only one song to put my name on as a writer, knowing what I know now I would have said no it's all or start over on your own. So with that I chose Deeper and Deeper because I knew it would be a hit."

We should hear Shep's version of the story too to judge but looks like Shimkin was hired for programming but ended up helping strongly with the writing too and they agreed to give him writing credits on one song.

At the time Shimkin was only allowed a credit for one song on the album and he chose "Deeper and Deeper".

Years later, he was added by ASCAP as a co-writer to "Erotica", "Bye Bye Baby", "Bad Girl", "Thief of Hearts", "Words", and "Why's It So Hard". That represents basically every single Pettibone track besides "Fever" (for obvious reasons), "Rain" and "In This Life". So he indeed had quite a significant contribution on that album.

"Goodbye to Innocence", "Shame", and "You Are the One" were also co-written by Shimkin.

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

Tony Shimkin talked about it with Madonna Tribe years ago:

https://www.madonnatribe.com/idol/tony_shimkin.htm

"When the album was originally released I was told by Shep I had to choose only one song to put my name on as a writer, knowing what I know now I would have said no it's all or start over on your own. So with that I chose Deeper and Deeper because I knew it would be a hit."

We should hear Shep's version of the story too to judge but looks like Shimkin was hired for programming but ended up helping strongly with the writing too and they agreed to give him writing credits on one song.

THIS is article, Thank you! It's so informative.