unused Vetements tour costumes?

androiduser

If I remember correctly, Guram Gvasalia's principal role for the tour was costume direction. I suppose these were perhaps initial ideas given to Eyob Yohannes and Versace for their final execution?

Judging by the detail shots on his Instagram, I can see why the mirror catsuit was abandoned. It seems as if his creation is made of actual mirror pieces which would have been far too heavy and inconvenient to perform in. Versace's version appears to be made of more stretchable and lighter PVC.

As for the black ball gown: I can see this being intended as the opening outfit and how it could have worked with the height-adjustable circular main stage. The lace detail and material depicted in Gvasalia's design also looks a lot like the material used for the inside of the kimono sleeves designed by Eyob Yohannes.

Edit: According to this Vogue piece, "For the most part, Yohannes and Melssen created and designed all of Madonna’s costumes themselves, though they also enlisted designers such as Vetement’s Guram Gvasalia, Donatella Versace, Jean Paul Gaultier, and Dilara Findikoglu to create special one-off looks for her, too. “We wanted to reference everything that she’s done, and make something new out of that,” says Melssen. “We created a whole new world.”

So I guess Gvasalia submitted his ideas but they were then further developed by other designers...

Edited by acolyte (see edit history)

1 hour ago, acolyte said:

So I guess Gvasalia submitted his ideas but they were then further developed by other designers...

I think it's more likely that Madonna and her team gave directions for what  silhouettes they envision for each segment, and then designers submitted their sketches and finished pieces for the final fitting and selection. Can you imagine asking those big egos to work on some other designer's piece :eyes::laughing: