Imagine ROL was ROL´S first single released?

Drownedboy

Frozen is one of THE greatest songs ever made. Ray Of Light was the perfect second single in my eyes. It wouldn’t have been as much of a WOW factor if she came out with that cause it sounds more "classic Madonna".

Also, we have to consider the season these were released in. Frozen came out in February which is one of the colder and darker months. Ray Of Light came out in Spring. It makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE in terms of marketing. Ray Of Light is the embodiment of a spring awakening to me.

I never understood the disdain & hate fans have for "Ray Of Light" the song. The video is more or less understandable since the tech was relatively new back then, so it's somewhat dated now.

But I like that there's no song that is sonically comparable to it & it truly captured Madonna's mystical mindset in that era.

I remember hearing it on the KTU listening party for the first time and thinking she sounded terrible.

Then the video came and I thought there wasn't enough Madonna in it.

Then I just became obsessed with it? Lol And think it's one of her best ever.

Aside from getting Shanti live, which was great, I was expecting something much more creative for her VMA's performance that year. 

A perfect summer single. 

I think Frozen helped to present the whole album as a mystical , spiritual dance trip. The brand she wanted at the time.

In London at the time the alternative scene was full on and blending with other electronic and dance scenes. The first time I started hearing Madonna in alternative bar/clubs was with ROL.

They only played her along the 80s hits with ITG but all the sudden , she was played along Pulp, Blur and Prodigy. Perfect timing.

I personally never like the song , still don't care much. It feels like a  a sing-a-long for me, a happy- chant -together song and those typically irritate me.

The flipping of order with the single would had created a different vibe overall. ROL after Frozen feels like a journey but Frozen after ROL feels like a drop.

On 6/23/2024 at 8:51 AM, skyfitswim said:

i wish skin or sky fits heaven what the second singel and  i do like no substitute for love a lot and the video but it was not maybe for the charts 

still on of her best albums ever 

I much preferred Frozen to Ray of Kight at the time. RoL is good and grew on me. It was very popular in the UK. But I think Frozen is lush and beautiful and one of her best ever. I played it to death while waiting for the album. 

Skin definitely had single potential and leant itself to remixing to sell maxi singles. I think it’s an underrated Madonna song. Drowned World has a good video, but isn’t an obvious single. I would have jumped straight to Power of Goodbye to showcase the slower / ballad side of the album. 

Madonna never performed Skin in concert. I get the impression she likes Candy Perfume Girl, which is one of my least favourite on the album. 

Sky Fits Heaven and remixes would face been an amazing single and video. But I’m sure I heard at the time that she wasn’t allowed to release it as a single, because she got in trouble for plagiarising the lyrics. Is that true? 

Edited by MadonnaDave (see edit history)

1 hour ago, MadonnaDave said:

Sky Fits Heaven and remixes would face been an amazing single and video. But I’m sure I heard at the time that she wasn’t allowed to release it as a single, because she got in trouble for plagiarising the lyrics. Is that true? 

Yes and no...she got permission and credited the poet but when she wanted to release it as a single, apparently that was rejected. I'm surprised she hasnt revisited the song. Once remixes were available on the DW single, there was a demand for it and was able to chart due to DJs purchasing import copies themselves in the US.

On 6/22/2024 at 12:28 PM, danielsevilla said:

I saw an interview where she mentioned "Frozen" as the perfect transition from her previous album (BS) and the new sound in ROL album. I think it was a smart choice.

I saw this interview too.

And I know the album had a lot of potential titles before "Ray of Light". "Drowned World" was Madonna´s first choice, but Warner convinced her that it was "too sad".

"Shanti" was also considered and "Star" as weel. In the end, I believe "Ray of Light" was the best choice for the album title. The title generated numerous positive headlines for several years in reference to Madonna, her daughter, her return to success, Live 8, and even became the name of a foundation.

6 hours ago, MadonnaDave said:

They have an agreement where she paid for the use of the lyrics but agree not to make it a single/video

On 6/22/2024 at 7:06 PM, RUADJAI said:

Hmmmmmmm.... I think if it was the first single the video would have had to be better. I like the ROL video but it's a bit basic for a lead single IMHO. Also, I think we're all very familiar with the song now, but I remember when ROL came out, it was very strange and I didn't know quite what to think of it. I knew it was the most upbeat on the album so I should bop to it, but it wasn't an instant "Fuck yeah" from me. Frozen on the other hand stopped me dead in my tracks when I saw the video and heard the music. I was transfixed, mesmerized... 

You are absolutely right. A lot of people, the first time they heard 'ROL,' thought it was too strange and noisy. Not everyone loved it when the single was released. Then, gradually, people started to love the song. 'Frozen' was the perfect choice as the first single at that time.

On 6/23/2024 at 10:33 PM, bitchimmadonna said:

I never understood the disdain & hate fans have for "Ray Of Light" the song.

Me neither. It is an anthem and was the obvious choice for lead single. There was a lot of hype for that track before the album came out. I'm not sure why they went with 'Frozen' although it worked well too.

The Sky Fits Heaven deal was a real shame. That would’ve made a really cool single/video. I like Frozen/ROL as the first two releases but overall the singles were too ballad-y. It needed another banger released like SFH or Skin. Was it just about publishing rights? Like she just didn’t want to give him a piece of it?

18 hours ago, MikeyK said:

The Sky Fits Heaven deal was a real shame. That would’ve made a really cool single/video. I like Frozen/ROL as the first two releases but overall the singles were too ballad-y. It needed another banger released like SFH or Skin. Was it just about publishing rights? Like she just didn’t want to give him a piece of it?

I kinda wonder if they gave permission to use the lines, then she wanted to release it as the 3rd single but ended up getting told no only permission to use the lines. Its odd that there was such a gap in the US after ROL until September for TPOG. It's even more sus that during that gap was when SFH got remixes commissioned. I'm willing to bet they were going to have it be the 3rd american single and it didnt pan out. Of couse, we don't know but im still curious!