What's Your Favourite "Rock-Donna" Live Performance?

Robertthenurse

18 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

Hung up on Sticky tour is soooo bad.

I rewatched it not too long ago to prep my husband for things to come lol and...its not a treasure, but I love she played some metal -- tremendous respect for her. 

How is Courtney Love dubbed "female rock star" when she can't play guitar lol

13 minutes ago, Robertthenurse said:

I rewatched it not too long ago to prep my husband for things to come lol and...its not a treasure, but I love she played some metal -- tremendous respect for her. 

How is Courtney Love dubbed "female rock star" when she can't play guitar lol

Because Courtney has the defining attitude. Courtney used to play guitar fine but as time has gone on she's gotten far lazier and now just strums a few chords... Sound familiar? 🤣

19 minutes ago, scion said:

Because Courtney has the defining attitude. Courtney used to play guitar fine but as time has gone on she's gotten far lazier and now just strums a few chords... Sound familiar? 🤣

Um...I adore Courtney Love...she used to be so good on guitar...pre-live through this and even during live through this. Unfortunately during her Nododys Daughter and previous tour she now sounds like this...

Exhibit A: (rock goddess Courtney Love)

So yes, Madonna can play power chords, sing and still look fabulous. 

Exhibit B: Mom playing Pantara (0:36)

Yeah but again that was 15 years ago and it's a studio recording placed on top of video footage. I'm not sure exactly how live that guitar was anyway, but I like to think she played it. What I find weird is how her guitar ability seemed to get worse and not better over the years, on the DWT she was really rather fantastic.. by sticky and sweet onwards all of her guitar stuff sounded pre-recorded, especially the acoustic stuff ie. miles away. The Rebel Heart acoustic set at least was properly live without a guitar backing track. 

Sorry if this is hard to read, I'm having issues with my phone keyboard today.

28 minutes ago, TOpher said:

Don’t like any performance with the guitar except Paradise and Rebel Heart. Vocals are always bad 

They were really bad on Rebel Heart, 'tough love' she almost broke through into a negative octave it was so flat. 

Miles Away, La Isla Bonita, Don't Tell Me are all examples of how she can sound beautiful playing guitar.

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

gambler was amazing mostly because of the band though - her vocals dont suit rock songs imo sorry - i thought CPG was pretty decent and i tend to skip all the other ones - S& S borderline, hung up and GI2M i never want to hear again ...

I guess at the end of the day, it's one's opinion, but I and I am sure many others will have to agree to disagree here.  Her voice totally suits Gambler. 

5 hours ago, Robertthenurse said:

Um...I adore Courtney Love...she used to be so good on guitar...pre-live through this and even during live through this. Unfortunately during her Nododys Daughter and previous tour she now sounds like this...

Exhibit A: (rock goddess Courtney Love)

So yes, Madonna can play power chords, sing and still look fabulous. 

Exhibit B: Mom playing Pantara (0:36)

It was during the Celebrity Skin era that she kinda gave up trying to legitimately play and just sorta used it as a prop. When I saw them on that tour she didn’t even have it on for nearly half the show. 

17 minutes ago, McDonna said:

I can't imagine why this was left off the home release of the Virgin Tour.  She sounded so good singing the song!!

Reasons might be 2: 1 the length of the vhs at the time could not be longer than an 1 hr for the time standards of 1985.

2 the pg thing: the performance wasn't suitable for a teen show... so they cut it out.

<a id='WatK44ikTTp3rOrPm719wQ' class='gie-single' href='http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/86103463' target='_blank' style='color:#a7a7a7;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal !important;border:none;display:inline-block;'>Embed from Getty Images</a><script>window.gie=window.gie||function(c){(gie.q=gie.q||[]).push(c)};gie(function(){gie.widgets.load({id:'WatK44ikTTp3rOrPm719wQ',sig:'pXRPCweBCwZGKGcnvSNC7xYVcBNeN0OebnxJUO2lKso=',w:'388px',h:'594px',items:'86103463',caption: true ,tld:'com',is360: false })});</script><script src='//embed-cdn.gettyimages.com/widgets.js' charset='utf-8' async></script>
<div class="getty embed image" style="background-color:#fff;display:inline-block;font-family:Roboto,sans-serif;color:#a7a7a7;font-size:11px;width:100%;max-width:388px;"><div style="padding:0;margin:0;text-align:left;"><a href="http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/86103463" target="_blank" style="color:#a7a7a7;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal !important;border:none;display:inline-block;">Embed from Getty Images</a></div><div style="overflow:hidden;position:relative;height:0;padding:153.09277% 0 0 0;width:100%;"><iframe src="//embed.gettyimages.com/embed/86103463?et=WatK44ikTTp3rOrPm719wQ&tld=com&sig=pXRPCweBCwZGKGcnvSNC7xYVcBNeN0OebnxJUO2lKso=&caption=true&ver=1" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" width="388" height="594" style="display:inline-block;position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;margin:0;"></iframe></div></div>
<div class="getty embed image" style="background-color:#fff;display:inline-block;font-family:Roboto,sans-serif;color:#a7a7a7;font-size:11px;width:100%;max-width:400px;"><div style="padding:0;margin:0;text-align:left;"><a href="http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/86098183" target="_blank" style="color:#a7a7a7;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal !important;border:none;display:inline-block;">Embed from Getty Images</a></div><div style="overflow:hidden;position:relative;height:0;padding:148.5% 0 0 0;width:100%;"><iframe src="//embed.gettyimages.com/embed/86098183?et=acAYL7W_Q0RmBSVOWx7gnA&tld=com&sig=ysj-miJ5rqjy50FTGvTH0u6Sp081ftgjCqArNW_HJKw=&caption=true&ver=1" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" width="400" height="594" style="display:inline-block;position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;margin:0;"></iframe></div></div>

6 minutes ago, Erotico said:

Reasons might be 2: 1 the length of the vhs at the time could not be longer than an 1 hr for the time standards of 1985.

2 the pg thing: the performance wasn't suitable for a teen show... so they cut it out.

<a id='WatK44ikTTp3rOrPm719wQ' class='gie-single' href='http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/86103463' target='_blank' style='color:#a7a7a7;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal !important;border:none;display:inline-block;'>Embed from Getty Images</a><script>window.gie=window.gie||function(c){(gie.q=gie.q||[]).push(c)};gie(function(){gie.widgets.load({id:'WatK44ikTTp3rOrPm719wQ',sig:'pXRPCweBCwZGKGcnvSNC7xYVcBNeN0OebnxJUO2lKso=',w:'388px',h:'594px',items:'86103463',caption: true ,tld:'com',is360: false })});</script><script src='//embed-cdn.gettyimages.com/widgets.js' charset='utf-8' async></script>
<div class="getty embed image" style="background-color:#fff;display:inline-block;font-family:Roboto,sans-serif;color:#a7a7a7;font-size:11px;width:100%;max-width:388px;"><div style="padding:0;margin:0;text-align:left;"><a href="http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/86103463" target="_blank" style="color:#a7a7a7;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal !important;border:none;display:inline-block;">Embed from Getty Images</a></div><div style="overflow:hidden;position:relative;height:0;padding:153.09277% 0 0 0;width:100%;"><iframe src="//embed.gettyimages.com/embed/86103463?et=WatK44ikTTp3rOrPm719wQ&tld=com&sig=pXRPCweBCwZGKGcnvSNC7xYVcBNeN0OebnxJUO2lKso=&caption=true&ver=1" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" width="388" height="594" style="display:inline-block;position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;margin:0;"></iframe></div></div>
<div class="getty embed image" style="background-color:#fff;display:inline-block;font-family:Roboto,sans-serif;color:#a7a7a7;font-size:11px;width:100%;max-width:400px;"><div style="padding:0;margin:0;text-align:left;"><a href="http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/86098183" target="_blank" style="color:#a7a7a7;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal !important;border:none;display:inline-block;">Embed from Getty Images</a></div><div style="overflow:hidden;position:relative;height:0;padding:148.5% 0 0 0;width:100%;"><iframe src="//embed.gettyimages.com/embed/86098183?et=acAYL7W_Q0RmBSVOWx7gnA&tld=com&sig=ysj-miJ5rqjy50FTGvTH0u6Sp081ftgjCqArNW_HJKw=&caption=true&ver=1" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" width="400" height="594" style="display:inline-block;position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;margin:0;"></iframe></div></div>

I had heard about the "length" issue before, so it's possible that is the reason, but after watching that performance again, the way she's under the guys and gyrating next to the guys, could be reason too, but then again I don't believe she was doing the same with Angel and Borderline either, but that may have come down to have bad vocals as well. 

I'm inclined to think it may have more to do with the length of the home release at the time. 

My favorites are

1. Ray of Light on the Oprah Show. 

The rudeness of the guitars and the electronic sounds are mixed correctly without hurting the susceptibility of the listener (compared to Hung Up in the SS Tour with those unbearable sounds at the end of the song) and as a contrast the sweet and angelic voice of a Madonna who was presenting herself to the world in a new spiritual facet (which would only last until the Music album, by the way). All of this makes this performance the only time Ray of Light manages to achieve the original magic of the album version. Pure perfection.

1998-the-oprah-show-1.jpg.29438731b5937ab7b03f392519800ad6.jpg

The only bad thing about this presentation is seeing the presenter's fuss throughout the performance in a probable attempt to steal the viewer's attention when that moment to shine only belonged to Madonna and no one else. Does anyone else find this woman fake and unbearable?

tumblr_b1f8c14e51747dd7dbd0a4b8935140ab_11a34507_250.gif.872383c0a54c1349717faac093eaedb0.gif

2. Burning Up on the Reinvention Tour.

If you are going to pretend to be a rockstar, you have to look like one not only in your attitude but also in your voice, hairstyle and wardrobe, and Madonna achieves all of this in this impeccable presentation where rebellion and rudeness stand out from the beginning to the end of the song. It would have been perfect if at the end of the song Madonna would throw herself off the stage into the arms of her audience, something classic for rock artists by the way. But I think that would be too much to ask.

paris024.jpg.3e18ebebceb93a3d27faa8803ae5b96a.jpg