Life with my sister Madonna - what's your opinion?

12 hours ago, Lucas B. said:

Just finished my reading and while I really enjoyed, I must say that there's a few things that disappointed me.

If all that Chris's said is true, then unfortunately she can be very bitchy at times and believing more in Ingrid's words than his about his drug use is kinda worrying because he's her brother and Ingrid's just a girl obsessed with M and who says just what she wants to hear.

Also the way she moved away from the gay community and Chris, after marrying Guy, is kinda weird (not to say disappointing). I must say I wasn't a fan back in the day, I just became a fan in late 2007 so I don't know how things really were back in early 2000s - if someone here can explain if I'm wrong in my words, I would be grateful.

As I said, it seems she can be very bitchy and nasty, but she also has a big heart and we all know that. She suffered a lot with the loss of her mother and that affected her during her whole life, plus two failed marriages (and one of them with a homophobic sucker, which she was deeply in love and wanted to satisfy in every single way) are the things that imo made her be quite sour with people in times of her life.

I'm glad that the Madonna I know from 2008 beyond is a new person, as she says in IGTTYAS I believe she's don't miss ''being an idiot''.

Now I'm gonna read again Lucy O'Brien's Like an Icon, it's been ages since I read this one and I finally got the 60 years edition

I think the "bitchiness" started from the beginning, but I suspect it was more because she wouldn't take "no" for an answer and wanted to prove she can excel at things people continue to doubt her on.  Remember, she came up during a time when men dominated the music industry. So rather succumb to how they wanted her to be, she took on the attitude that she will do it her own way, while she charmed the shit out of people.  Many men adored her, while women loathed her because she knew who to charm to get what she wanted. She learned from an early age, men were the people she had to charm. Though with the right woman, she'd be coy and flirtatious if it meant she was going to get her way. Anyone else, in her way, she would boulder right over. 

Keep in mind, Christopher is a drama queen, so no doubt anything she did, was something he probably over dramatize.  Still, she wasn't taking shit and she was going to prove she is going to do what she wants to do. 

I do think the early 2000's, she was just trying to appease her husband. She had already been married before, so she knew that there was a give and take to the relationship. I really feel that when she falls hard for someone, she tries hard to live their lifestyle. It may have been off putting for some when it came to her marriage with Guy R., but she did love him and I'm sure he loved her as well. But they are from two different worlds, so it was remarkable it lasted as long as it did. My guess, Madonna did what it took to keep the marriage from breaking up. Of course, having children with that spouse changes things as well.  She always believed in traditions when it comes to love and marriage, but it just didn't work out for her.

2 hours ago, McDonna said:

I think the "bitchiness" started from the beginning, but I suspect it was more because she wouldn't take "no" for an answer and wanted to prove she can excel at things people continue to doubt her on.  Remember, she came up during a time when men dominated the music industry. So rather succumb to how they wanted her to be, she took on the attitude that she will do it her own way, while she charmed the shit out of people.  Many men adored her, while women loathed her because she knew who to charm to get what she wanted. She learned from an early age, men were the people she had to charm. Anyone else, in her way, she would boulder right over. 

Keep in mind, Christopher is a drama queen, so no doubt anything she did, was something her probably over dramatize.  Still, she wasn't taking shit and she was going to prove she is going to do what she wants to do. 

I do think the early 2000's, she was just trying to appease her husband. She had already been married before, so she knew that their was a give and take to relationships. I really feel that when she falls hard for someone, she tries hard to live their lifestyle. It may have been offputting for some when it came to her marriage with Guy R., but she did love him and I'm sure he did as well. But they are from two different worlds, so it was remarkable it lasted as long as it did. My guess, Madonna did what it took to keep the marriage from breaking up. Of course, a child changes things as well.  She always believe in traditions when it comes to love and marriage, but it just didn't work out for her.

The book is also written by a bitter sibling. Think about if your own sibling became extremely that rich and successful/famous what that would do to your relationship and perception of them. Having said that, there's nothing she could have possibly done to him to warrant betraying her like that. But it's the same for people like Niki Harris who went and did interviews discussing her love life. It is no wonder she avoids these people that have completely disrespected her.

I mean don't most families as big as the Ciccone's have family drama?  The Ciccone's just happen to have one of the most famous women in the world in theirs.  

I mean shit my family could give me more material than Chris to work with!  Pretty sure though not many would be interested.  lol 

9 minutes ago, Blue Skies said:

I mean don't most families as big as the Ciccone's have family drama?  The Ciccone's just happen to have one of the most famous women in the world in theirs.  

I mean shit my family could give me more material than Chris to work with!  Pretty sure though not many would be interested.  lol 

Yes!  There is always friction with big families (even small ones).  A lot of it comes down to jealousy. Then again, there are some who just play the victim card that causes friction. I think when it comes to Christopher, she was funding him...employing him for years, but the moment she felt that it was time to draw back, hoping he would correct his drug issues, he got bitter and nasty. This is typical of those who are addicted to substances if not abusive to others. They lash out and displace blame.  Like many of us have already pointed out, without Madonna he wouldn't have a book. No one would care what he'd have to say. But since he chose to dish about his sister, he knew he had a chance of cashing in.  It doesn't matter to me if much of his "dish" is nothing harmful. It's the fact he went out of his way and behind her back to write a book about her.  Anyone else working for her, probably would have gotten sued by her for breach of contract.  But being he is family and I believe to keep the peace in her own family, she let bygones be bygones without making much of a stink publicly about it.  In fact, I don't recall her even acknowledging it at all publicly.  I think she simply was keeping the peace in favor to her father.

1 hour ago, McDonna said:

Yes!  There is always friction with big families (even small ones).  A lot of it comes down to jealousy. Then again, there are some who just play the victim card that causes friction. I think when it comes to Christopher, she was funding him...employing him for years, but the moment she felt that it was time to draw back, hoping he would correct his drug issues, he got bitter and nasty. This is typical of those who are addicted to substances if not abusive to others. They lash out and displace blame.  Like many of us have already pointed out, without Madonna he wouldn't have a book. No one would care what he'd have to say. But since he chose to dish about his sister, he knew he had a chance of cashing in.  It doesn't matter to me if much of his "dish" is nothing harmful. It's the fact he went out of his way and behind her back to write a book about her.  Anyone else working for her, probably would have gotten sued by her for breach of contract.  But being he is family and I believe to keep the peace in her own family, she let bygones be bygones without making much of a stink publicly about it.  In fact, I don't recall her even acknowledging it at all publicly.  I think she simply was keeping the peace in favor to her father.

Come back to this thread after you've actually read the book, perhaps?

Sorry but until then, your take is quite meaningless.

• 4 weeks later...