Happy 27th, Who's That Girl Tour!

groovyguy

On this day in 1987, Madonna played the first date of her Who's That Girl World Tour at the Osaka Stadium.

Posted Image

Start date June 14, 1987

End date September 6, 1987

Setlist

• [*]"
Open Your Heart" [*]"Lucky Star" [*]"True Blue" [*]"Papa Don't Preach" [*]"White Heat" [*]"Causing a Commotion" [*]"The Look of Love" [*]Medley:
  • [*]"
Dress You Up" [*]"Material Girl" [*]"Like a Virgin" (contains excerpts from "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)")

[*]"Where's the Party" [*]"Live to Tell" [*]"Into the Groove" [*]"La Isla Bonita" [*]"Who's That Girl" [*]"Holiday"

I feel this tour pretty much defined what a true rock show was about. I think from this point on, Madonna stepped up her game when putting on future tours and many followed her lead in how to put on a good show. Certainly, there were artists before her who set the pace, but I feel with each new tour Madonna put on throughout her career, everyone else seem to model it off of her.

I'm still waiting for the Japanese tourbook I bought on ebay :calm: It's sad that songs from the True Blue album, apart from the hit singles,  were not played anymore on any Madonna tour. The woman sure knows how to remain relevant and up-to-date with every show she does. Guess it's part of her formula, not to run out of ideas and bore people with the same shit lolz

I love the photo used on the VHS, DVD, and Laserdisc release!

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is still my favourite tour(only by a whisker though) ba is second best - what i love about it is that intro - so cool the way she enters the stage - also love the fact that its all live musicians and no backing tracks(except of course jimmy cagney on white heat though)

what always bugs me about her tours post dw is there is hardly any live instruments - its all backing tracks - even the back up singers are either mimed or turned down very low in the mix so why they are there i dont know - she seems more bothered about the look of her shows now and not really the "live" sound that i miss from the 80s and 90s - always hope one day she will go back to a more "live" sound and not someones laptop on stage :((

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For me this and Girlie Show had the best, most kick ass bands. You can feel every instrument on each song. I especially love the Florence show, during Into the Groove the band keeps trying to start the song but stops and Madonna eventually starts getting pissed off. Love that live feeling and imperfect nature of a live band. 

WTG was the end of an era for Madonna, her 2nd and last tour of the 80's and the last time she would really present a show in more of a rock concert setting and not so theatrical (Maybe S&S came close to this though). Love her positive energy and the cheese factor is fun, especially her face during La Isla Bonita. Also she had more of an innocent sexuality in these shows, at least it seems tame by today's standards, she seemed more girlish back then too.

Open Your Heart/Lucky Star were a great 1 2 punch in the opening. Like that is completely live, both vocals and band.