Mirwais - Production

Headless.Headphones

616b8835d39743a1adc65ce37ad521a9.jpg

So tonight I decided to try William Orbits solo albums - nothing even caught my interest for more than a few mins. You go back even to his Batman remixes in the early days, his production work with other artist and what he tries there is way more interesting.

Mirwais on the other hand; I remember getting Production months before Music to get an idea of direction. Coming back to this album tonight - what a brilliant electronic LP! Why has there been only one (well tech two) but nothing since? I mean at times it's as good as anything from Daft Punk, Justice, The Chemical Brothers, Aphex Twin. I guess I am more surprised by his only production being Madonna so far. Music and American Life; so experimental for her and wish there was more demos of these sessions! along with The Rain Tapes as importance for me.

I am just wondering did you like this album? maybe make a come back? why did nobody else pick him up?  

He's had band "Taxi Girl" with one EP "Chercher Le Garçon" and one album "Seppuku" in 1981. a self-titled album in 1990. and after "American Life" had been working with Yasmine Hamdan (Y.A.S) on a brilliant album called "Arabology" in 2009. Since then he produced another underground album for a French indie artist, but it kinda went completely under the radar. It was that bland.

To date, I don't think Madonna ever worked with a more creative producer than he is. Even his "farewell" tracks from COADF run circles around anything Orbit has put out ever since "Ray of Light".

If you haven't already, check "Arabology", that one is a gem, and a fast grower. I love listening "American Life" and "Arabology" back to back, kinda like "Music" and "Production. :)

Just deleted my reply accidently clicked back - well in short thanks for the recommendations and will check these out! Also I agree but disagree with him great til the end and have a reason lol. Material on Music and AL is more evocative and rich the stuff he did for Confessions was him trying to get with the themes of the record. Future Lovers (a staple) and Let It Will Be is alright; Super Pop and It's So Cool are cheesy but expert and love them so much.  :Madonna055:

Fighting Spirit is his only miss probably for me. And William Orbit MDNA has Masterpiece, Love Spent and I'm a Sinner which are not good but Gang Bang, Some Girls and Falling Free are the opposite - nothing reaches anything from ROL.

Different folks, different strokes, I presume. I could survive in a world where "I'm a Sinner" never existed. It's a fun song'n'all, however, "Love Spent" and "Falling Free" are among Orbit's rare after-ROL masterpieces for me, all the while "Future Lovers" stands out as a thumper "farewell" track imo.

Mainly talking outside Madonna collabs, Orbit never managed to repeat the peak he had with "Ray of Light" on his own, although "Purdy" single came close to that experimentation, where there was the "Arabology" project with Mirwais that stands as high as "American Life" album for me.

And I agree "Super Pop" and "It's So Cool" are cheesefest, however, extremely fun, both of them! :)

I'm a Sinner is such good example of William Orbits bad contribution to the record, first it's completely a knock off of ROL the title track, it lyrically takes me nowhere,  there is no journey. Best Friend is trash but takes me on a better journey than this.  :thinker: Since coming here I can see how much Love Spent is loved, to me it's never been one I like or dislike but that acoustic mix is beautiful. 

I'll give this Arabology a listen and he should have been able to collab with people by now; there is so much greatness in Production. I think both him and Shep are the ones who threw the most paint at the canvas with Madonna. Although I don't know what Pharrell and Madonna threw when they made Incredible - anything even the family dog wasn't safe.  :laughing:

He also did a cool remix of Paul McCartney's Hope For The Future. Its not mindblowing but I thought it was creative. The YAS stuff is cool especially "Get It Right" which is basically "Keep The Trance" and "A Man" which integrates Kraftwerk's "The Man". I love the earlier stuff too, its very New Wave meets electronic music especially "Cellophane" which could be considered an early version of "I'm So Stupid".

To date, I don't think Madonna ever worked with a more creative producer than he is. Even his "farewell" tracks from COADF run circles around anything Orbit has put out ever since "Ray of Light".

Sooo true! He might be the sole truly experimental main album producer she has worked with. Everyone else was either some DJ who had remixed her years before she let them on an album of hers, or someone who has had several top 10 hits in the US or UK under their belt.

Sooo true! He might be the sole truly experimental main album producer she has worked with. Everyone else was either some DJ who had remixed her years before she let them on an album of hers, or someone who has had several top 10 hits in the US or UK under their belt.

I have to add on this, I always found it interesting how none of her producers, sans Mirwais (and sometimes Shep) managed to capture my attention with their non-M related work, which only leads me to notion that there is more than some direction Madonna takes with her collaborators.

They all had a good thing going, met M, made a great thing with her and went into mediocrity or oblivion. I'm yet to be proved wrong, in my honest opinion. It surely is my taste, no disregard if any of you like what anyone else did on their own after M.

Just for the sake of conversation....   Madonna is the most famous woman in the world. Its hard to replicate that publicity for music that doesn't involve her. Since working with Madonna in 98 William Orbit has produced for Pink, Chris Brown, Blur, No Doubt, Britney Spears among doing his own non-pop work. I would hardly say he's in oblivion or any of his pop work with these artists was mediocre. 

On top of that, Madonna deals in pop music which is made to appeal to a mass audience. William Orbit didn't really make pop music before Madonna. His solo work like Strange Cargo is definitely not pop. To judge his solo work or any producers solo work next to their work with Madonna doesn't make sense when their initial sound wasn't anything near pop. Madonna brings the pop element to any project she works on including Mirwais. 

But I know what u mean. Because I too looked to William Orbits work after Ray of Light and was not impressed. Except for Pieces in a Modern Style which I would put on to do yoga or relax. 

I have to add on this, I always found it interesting how none of her producers, sans Mirwais (and sometimes Shep) managed to capture my attention with their non-M related work, which only leads me to notion that there is more than some direction Madonna takes with her collaborators.

They all had a good thing going, met M, made a great thing with her and went into mediocrity or oblivion. I'm yet to be proved wrong, in my honest opinion. It surely is my taste, no disregard if any of you like what anyone else did on their own after M.

Orbit did some amazing work with Blur, All Saints, Mel C, and his own solo material. Water from a Vine Leaf was an underground crossover sensation. The point regarding producers and the appeal of their non-Madonna works is a testament to her personality, talent and vision and really what makes her the star. Say what you will about the sway of hit producers, collaborations with next gen pop copies, grills, wigs and outfits this woman is an amazing writer, musician and artist of her own hard earned merit. A true, devoted producer would open their talents to M's world, that's when the magic happens and why I still don't really care for producers like Timbaland, Benassi, Mr. West, even Diplo's work with Madonna to an extent because I felt she was following their way a bit too closely. I also think this is why the stuff with Pharrell sounds so stiff because our icon is parroting demo singers. Just my O. With Orbit, Stuart, Mirwais, Shep you could feel that they sat together and created something and kept building on it. A fan can only connect so many of the dots when playing leaks and demos.

Orbit did some amazing work with Blur, All Saints, Mel C, and his own solo material. Water from a Vine Leaf was an underground crossover sensation. The point regarding producers and the appeal of their non-Madonna works is a testament to her personality, talent and vision and really what makes her the star. Say what you will about the sway of hit producers, collaborations with next gen pop copies, grills, wigs and outfits this woman is an amazing writer, musician and artist of her own hard earned merit. A true, devoted producer would open their talents to M's world, that's when the magic happens and why I still don't really care for producers like Timbaland, Benassi, Mr. West, even Diplo's work with Madonna to an extent because I felt she was following their way a bit too closely. I also think this is why the stuff with Pharrell sounds so stiff because our icon is parroting demo singers. Just my O. With Orbit, Stuart, Mirwais, Shep you could feel that they sat together and created something and kept building on it. A fan can only connect so many of the dots when playing leaks and demos.

I thought Pharrell had a great chemistry with her and thought the Timbaland side of the record was totally stiff. I do enjoy Dance 2night and although Devil was a total retread of Cry Me a River I love it - Miles Away, Voices are pretty awful. Pharrell on the other hand did produce Spanish Lesson (which is wretched) but stuff like She's Not Me, Heartbeat, Give It 2 Me and even Candy Shop (I love the beats) are so purely Madonna. I remember when this first came out and thinking Give It 2 Me really harks back to Live a Virgin in the best ways and still does; so I don't fault him as a producer. It was Timbaland who brought nothing to the table.

Just for the sake of conversation....   Madonna is the most famous woman in the world. Its hard to replicate that publicity for music that doesn't involve her. Since working with Madonna in 98 William Orbit has produced for Pink, Chris Brown, Blur, No Doubt, Britney Spears among doing his own non-pop work. I would hardly say he's in oblivion or any of his pop work with these artists was mediocre. 

On top of that, Madonna deals in pop music which is made to appeal to a mass audience. William Orbit didn't really make pop music before Madonna. His solo work like Strange Cargo is definitely not pop. To judge his solo work or any producers solo work next to their work with Madonna doesn't make sense when their initial sound wasn't anything near pop. Madonna brings the pop element to any project she works on including Mirwais. 

But I know what u mean. Because I too looked to William Orbits work after Ray of Light and was not impressed. Except for Pieces in a Modern Style which I would put on to do yoga or relax. 

This is actually why I added that it's just my taste and opinion in the end. :) As previously said "different folks, different strokes" - I didn't expect any of M's producers to go and do the same ol' thing after working with her, God forbid.

Sans Madonna, I rarely even listen to music that could be classified as "pop", so I do tend to stray away in between her albums, and her latest collaborators are kinda the direction I wanna explore and find out more about their own work. That's why I said Mirwais stands out as he yet has to deliver something that doesn't work for me. I daresay that even his weaker tracks on "Production" and "Arabology" stand out.

As for M's DJ "producers", I didn't follow even one after their departure from her, because they mostly relied on the somewhat similar sounds they perfected with her, but never managed to fully bring it "out there", again, imo. Sure, they bring their most outstanding to Madonna, but one would expect they also bring something out of that collaboration, something she, apparently, can't teach them.

Of course I wouldn't want another Madonna album fully produced with Mirwais. I was quite happy with the monstrously big "Rebel Heart" album, even with going all sorts of directions, and I'd always opt to see where she'll take me for a ride, far more than relying on the tested out formulas one would repeat over and over again.

I think when the CD case has a hole through the front and back in it that may mean you purchased a promotional copy, some cases it means a cut out but thats more for a long bar like cut/imprint spanning the entire thin side of the jewel case. Its actually an interesting debate on Google if you're into dorky obsolete arguments about now-useless media.