A greatest hits idea

RebelHeARTPOP

I don't mind buying anything from her, but being her singles missing the charts more, a greatest hits is becoming far fetched. I believe if there's anything like it coming, it would be something along the lines of a singles collection. And that would probably only occur in fullness upon her quitting music. Something I pray she is far from doing.

I don't mind buying anything from her, but being her singles missing the charts more, a greatest hits is becoming far fetched. I believe if there's anything like it coming, it would be something along the lines of a singles collection. And that would probably only occur in fullness upon her quitting music. Something I pray she is far from doing.

Exactly!  She really doesn't have enough hits since the last compilation to muster up another Greatest Hits album. Sure, she could repackage another career spanning set, but unless it includes something new, it won't sell.   At this point in her career any sort of compilation (especially completely remastered) would just be another collector's item for the die hard fans.  Her best bet is to go for a huge BOX set that includes a lot of rarities. It no doubt would be pricey, and again pretty much the die hard fans would only purchase it.

I do think that doing an high profile "Unplugged" set covering her most career defining hits could make some waves.  But it would have to be in your face where the general public couldn't miss it, rather tying it to some exclusive stream site or premium cable channel. And immediately, sell the live album afterwards.

Other than that, digital age, has allowed it to be pretty easy for anyone to put together a compilation of their own, which would suit them specifically. So I see no point of putting together another Greatest Hits unless it includes a lot of "rare" music and again, the Die hard fans would only be interested.

I think a cool concept could be an official bootleg series like Tori Amos did a few years back. My idea would be smaller venues for more intimacy and the ability to change up the setlist every show. I also think her promo shows are where its at! Reimagined hits, intimate ballads, a little room for spontaneity and error, Tears of a Clown... Have a disc for every show... I'd buy every single one of them. Take all of my money Madonna.

What she needs to do is:

1. Get all her videos on YouTube/Vemo. This is where a lot of people listen to music these days.

2. Release all the singles/maxi's digitally.

3. Re-release all the 12" singles on vinyl. Vinyl is a HUGE seller atm. They are doing a good job re-releasing the albums but they need to expand to 12" singles next. A boxed set with all of them or the 7" singles would be a great collectors item.

4. Release BAT and TVT. Stop waiting to "find the tapes" which will never happen and just put out Nice.

4. Forget CD's. Nobody cares about CD's anymore, only collectors and most collectors prefer vinyl anyway.

The next few years is the perfect timing too because there won't be a new album.

But they do include the "classics".  GHV2 pretty much picked up where Immaculate Collection left off.  I'm not saying a couple of songs could have been switched out, but it pretty much represented the essentials in the 90's.   As Celebration pretty much represented her biggest Iconic hits throughout her career.  It seems silly to me to nickle and dime these over a couple odd inclusions or exclusions, when for the most part the collections did include the biggest hits.  As for Evita,  I can see leaving off "You Must Love Me" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" since they were already included on the GHV2 and Something To Remember.  Also, I truly don't see how any of those songs really would fit Celebration when we have more the 90% of the collection full of defining songs.  I'll give you "Miles Away", but all the other songs were major hits for her with the exception of "Sorry" and "Hollywood" in a few other regions. But the missing of "Angel" and "Give it 2 Me" (great songs) doesn't makes that set definitive and not up to "caliber".  It certainly does celebrate nearly 30 years of her career.  I'm sure any casual or non-fan would not even remember songs like "Give it 2 Me" and "Angel".

But that's my opinion.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

You can not honestly tell me you think GHV2 was a good tracklist?

There are SO many huge hits including worldwide Top 10's and even #1's that have never been included on any of her Greatest Hits.

That includes some of her BIGGEST hits like True Blue, Angel (yes Angel was a BIG hit), Causing a Commotion, This Used To Be My Playground, I'll Remember, You'll See, American Pie... All of these were bigger than many of the songs included on Celebration and GHV2 (Miles Away, Drowned World etc.)

Something to Remember was not a Greatest Hits. Half the songs included weren't even released as singles.

I don't think she needs another GH anytime soon until she's ready to do something large as in a singles boxset similar to Britney's "The Single Collection" a few years ago or some big retrospective of her career with remastered versions, perhaps a video collection (not Celebration) or something to celebrate her legacy years from now. We can only hope though.