Give it to me vs Give it 2 me

byebyebaby

And it was because of that Timbaland song that Madonna was told not to name her album "Give it 2 Me".  Her record company thought people would confuse it with Timbalands song.  Though, maybe she should have stuck to that title and theme (as it looked far better) and probably would have helped that album sell more.

8 minutes ago, MarXus said:

And it was because of that Timbaland song that Madonna was told not to name her album "Give it 2 Me".  Her record company thought people would confuse it with Timbalands song.  Though, maybe she should have stuck to that title and theme (as it looked far better) and probably would have helped that album sell more.

HC sold really well, 4 Million worldwide, #9 biggest selling album of 2008 worldwide, more than Janet's and Mariah's 2008 albums COMBINED

Also by 2008, album sales as a whole have dropped 1/3 of what they were in 1993, so 4 Million in 2008 is like selling 12 Million in 1993, which Erotica was nowhere near

Fans really need to see these things in their proper perspective

1 hour ago, Mp1992 said:

HC sold really well, 4 Million worldwide, #9 biggest selling album of 2008 worldwide, more than Janet's and Mariah's 2008 albums COMBINED

Also by 2008, album sales as a whole have dropped 1/3 of what they were in 1993, so 4 Million in 2008 is like selling 12 Million in 1993, which Erotica was nowhere near

Fans really need to see these things in their proper perspective

Thanks, but I am quite aware on how much she sold of that album world-wide.  Though, my point still stands that the album would have possible sold more if people did make more of an association at the time with Timbaland's track.  It may have sold 4 million, but for Madonna, that was a huge dip in albums sales considering she used to sell far more albums.  Also, this was her second album that sold less than a million in the U.S. and still struggling to do so.  A region where Timabaland is far more popular.

Just now, MarXus said:

Thanks and I am quite versed on how much she sold.  Though, my point still stands that the album would have sold more possibly if people did make more of an association at the time with Timbaland's track.  It may have sold 4 million, but for Madonna, that was a huge dip considering she used to sell far more albums.  Also, this was her second album that sold less than million and still struggling to do so.  

Did you not read that album sales were only 1/3 in 2008, what they were in the 90s?

So Hard Candy did better than both Erotica and Bedtime Stories, since 4 Million in 2008 is 12 Million in the mid 90s, that's why HC was the #9 biggest selling album of the year worldwide, while neither Erotica or BS were in the top 20 worldwide sellers for their respective years, because album sales in general were huge in the 90s

It's like the #1 show on TV in the US in 2020 has like 12 Million viewers, in the 80s, it wouldn't have made the top 40 most watched shows, since more people watched regular network TV back then

2 minutes ago, Mp1992 said:

Did you not read that album sales were only 1/3 in 2008, what they were in the 90s?

So Hard Candy did better than both Erotica and Bedtime Stories, since 4 Million in 2008 is 12 Million in the mid 90s, that's why HC was the #9 biggest selling album of the year worldwide, while neither Erotica or BS were in the top 20 worldwide sellers for their respective years, because album sales in general were huge in the 90s

It's like the #1 show on TV in the US in 2020 has like 12 Million viewers, in the 80s, it wouldn't have made the top 40 most watched shows, since more people watched regular network TV back then

Look, you're reading far more into my point!  The point I was only making is that she probably would have sold more if people made more of the Timbaland connection with the song.

By the way, Timabaland was selling Plantinum records and albums at the same time, so all this comparing of the times, means nothing to what I'm trying to point out. 

34 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Look, you're reading far more into my point!  The point I was only making is that she probably would have sold more if people made more of the Timbaland connection with the song.

By the way, Timabaland was selling Plantinum records and albums at the same time, so all this comparing of the times, means nothing to what I'm trying to point out. 

Yes his 2007 album, Shock Value featuring Give it to Me as the first single, sold a decent 3.5 Million copies worldwide, slightly LESS than what Hard Candy sold....

You just confirmed my point.  Thank you

14 minutes ago, Mp1992 said:

Yes his 2007 album, Shock Value featuring Give it to Me as the first single, sold a decent 3.5 Million copies worldwide, slightly LESS than what Hard Candy sold....

You just confirmed my point.  Thank you

No, my point wasn't comparing sales to her previous albums or anyone else.  My original point was simply stating she may have sold more albums because of some may made an association to his song Give it to me.  You've turned this into some ridiculous argument over the difference between sales that had nothing to do with what I was trying to say.  LOL!  

10 minutes ago, MarXus said:

No, my point wasn't comparing sales to her previous albums or anyone else.  My original point was simply stating she may have sold more albums because of some may made an association to his song Give it to me.  You've turned this into some ridiculous argument over the difference between sales that had nothing to do with what I was trying to say.  LOL!  

So she would have sold more albums if she named her Album after a song on an album by another artist, that actually sold less worldwide than her Album?

Makes sense, I guess

By the way, I hear Madonna's new album will be called Applause, named after the song from Gaga's not so successful album Artpop

On 1/9/2020 at 9:41 AM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Give It 2 Me, the other is simply a song dissing Prince, Fergie and some producer Timberland had beef with.

I don't think I've ever been able to stomach to listen to it that closely to even know that.  It's weird that I enjoy some of Timbaland's collabs, but any of his own stuff, I pass!! 

4 hours ago, MarXus said:

I don't think I've ever been able to stomach to listen to it that closely to even know that.  It's weird that I enjoy some of Timbaland's collabs, but any of his own stuff, I pass!! 

Yep, the whole song is nothing but digs at other people. Nelly apparently in her Fergie feud with their first records, Justin dissing Prince and Timberland at some producer that wasn't a big name. It's catchy and of its time sonically but the lyrics are nothing but attacks to other artists. Granted, they all had a hand in attacking one another until the feuds disappeared. Justin of all people trying to come for Prince. Like child, please. :laughing:

Give It 2 Me would have been a way better title than Hard Candy. Even the boxer theme is far more effective without the candy rubbish. Perhaps if that was the case Candy Shop may have been a bonus or b side track and we would have had something with a bit more grunt. 

madonna-boxing.gif