Radios, media and society OWE to Madonna and they better pay up

On 7/27/2021 at 3:32 PM, thegoldencalf said:

Ugh what exactly is this depth that people are expecting from a 20th century  rock star biopic?!? And do we have any examples of such films? 
The Liz Taylor and Marilyn Monroe ones sucked big time. And let’s face it, none of these people had the tragic unique lives of Frida Kahlo or Vincent Van Gogh that would give that depth.

For the Elton and Freddy movies we didn’t need yet another drama about the struggles of closeted gay men or the AIDS epidemic. It’s been done a lot and very well. All that was needed was a glimpse behind the scenes and lots of fantasy. And a reminder of why these artists are so amazing and loved. And the films achieved that. Hence their success. 
The true depth of all these artists exists in their work so the depth of the movies should come from that. Combined with breathtaking visuals. 

Depth, or lack thereof, is one thing. Peddling completely false, and at times troubling narrative is another. I don't mind artistic licences being taken when movies are made, I understand how story telling works - it's not a documentary, but Bohemian Rhapsody is so far removed from reality in many respects, it barely deserves to be considered a "biopic". I thought the complete straight washing of Freddie's sexuality, obsessive focus on the ex-girlfriend and the way his diagnosis is revealed, was patronising and disrespectful not only to his legacy but also to gay men in general, especially those who suffered from AIDS. The only redeeming part of the movie for me was the last 20 mins at Wembley, but if I wanted to watch Queen live, I'd have gone on YouTube and watched the original performance. Also, Malek's prosthetic teeth were distracting :)

3 hours ago, kesiak said:

Depth, or lack thereof, is one thing. Peddling completely false, and at times troubling narrative is another. I don't mind artistic licences being taken when movies are made, I understand how story telling works - it's not a documentary, but Bohemian Rhapsody is so far removed from reality in many respects, it barely deserves to be considered a "biopic". I thought the complete straight washing of Freddie's sexuality, obsessive focus on the ex-girlfriend and the way his diagnosis is revealed, was patronising and disrespectful not only to his legacy but also to gay men in general, especially those who suffered from AIDS. The only redeeming part of the movie for me was the last 20 mins at Wembley, but if I wanted to watch Queen live, I'd have gone on YouTube and watch the original performance. Also, Malik's prosthetic teeth were distracting :)

Honestly I don’t have much recollection of Bohemian Rhapsody. I watched it once and enjoyed it but wasn’t blown away. I’m not sure how the true story goes but what I remember loving was watching his creative process in movie form, the record company drama over BR and the amazing webmley scene (though it was way too long). 
I guess I’m packaging the 2 movies together cause they’re clearly the inspiration for this biopic, but my real wish is hers being more like Rocketman or Frida. Where the story is told mainly through the artist’s work and it’s filled with surreal images. 
As for historic accuracy, she’s writing the script so we know it will be as removed from reality as it can get ??