Edit History

Vogue Italia

Vogue Italia

She is a musical artist. People try to categorize her as just a pop star even after almost 40 years into her career. Pop star usually has a association with being manufactured. Think of the TRL era and Britney Spears with a cookie cutter image not in control of her own career. M has been in control of her image since the beginning. Sometimes it works in her favor and sometimes she receives backlash. It's expected that as you get older you're supposed to conform to how society expects you to behave for your age. M is still unapologetic and that is unappealing to some people.

It seems that sometimes her own fans forget she came up around artists, the creative east village scene. That's one reason why I'm glad she'll emphasizes her early career in her film. I think if Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat were around they'd vouch that she was never your average pop star, she was one of them, only her creative outlet was music. She set the blueprint by infusing art into music and taking risks. 

Vogue Italia

Vogue Italia

She is a musical artist. People try to categorize her as just a pop star even after almost 40 years into her career. Pop star usually has a association with being manufactured. Think of the TRL era and Britney Spears with a cookie cutter image not in control of her own career. M has been in control of her image since the beginning. Sometimes it works in her favor and sometimes she receives backlash. It's expected that as you get older you're supposed to conform to how society expects you to behave for your age. M is still unapologetic and that is unappealing to some people.

It seems that sometimes her own fans forget she came up around artists, the creative east village scene. That's one reason why I'm glad she'll emphasizes her early career in her film. I think if Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat were around they'd vouch that she was never your average pop star, she was one of them, only her creative outlet was music. She set the blue print by injecting art into music and taking risks. 

Important Information

Terms of Use