Róisín Murphy on Madonna: "Yeah, she was a bit of a moment"

Starchild

What about music that you felt was yours? Can you remember what the first thing that either kind of you felt you'd discovered or that belonged to you in your friend group rather than the family?

Well, I was really into Top of the Pops as a kid, and I was always really good at predicting what was going to be number one. So I'd say that was a nice game. I suppose lots of people played it. “That's going to be number one now. Hundred percent.” So, I was always really into pop music. Madonna came along, of course. How old would I have been? 10, something like that. And we'd be roaming the streets, gangs of girls roaming the streets singing “Like A Virgin” when we actually all were virgins. It was quite ironic. But we were like virgins. Yeah, she was a bit of a moment, I think, for me as a kid. Hundred percent. But then that came out of... my brother was a huge fan of Blondie, so he had all their records and he had the poster on the wall, and this is even younger, you know? And the poster on the wall was Debbie Harry wearing the Warhol T-shirt. And that - it had so many symbols in that one image that would be something that I would discover later on in life, you know? Andy Warhol, that whole kind of underground culture, punk kind of attitude and glam rock and sort of everything was distilled in that one image I think, really. And I used to stare and stare and stare and stare at it.

Taken from https://bassmidstopsandtherest.substack.com/p/no-2-roisin-murphy

In a past interview, Róisín mentioned that Live To Tell was the first single she ever purchased.

Also, there was once a photo floating around the internet of her at The Confessions Tour.

roisin-murphy.jpg

She used to be in a private page i was a member of, very bright and funny, cultured and she's a closeted fan because she used to post articles defending Madonna, i remember even posting here and at Nation then Bible some i saw her share first in our group. She is still a member but does not post anymore (so do i). 

11 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

She used to be in a private page i was a member of, very bright and funny, cultured and she's a closeted fan because she used to post articles defending Madonna, i remember even posting here and at Nation then Bible some i saw her share first in our group. She is still a member but does not post anymore (so do i). 

Are you alleging that Róisín is/was a member of one or more M forums and used to post on them? How can you be sure?

And what 'private page' are you referring to; her now defunct official forum page from the Overpowered days? So was I, if so.

5 hours ago, Starchild said:

Are you alleging that Róisín is/was a member of one or more M forums and used to post on them? How can you be sure?

And what 'private page' are you referring to; her now defunct official forum page from the Overpowered days? So was I, if so.

Nope not a fanpage of either of them.

It's a private group on Facebook i was invited to by a "famous" dj acquaintance to discuss music and other stuff and she's part of it.

2 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Nope not a fanpage of either of them.

It's a private group on Facebook i was invited to by a "famous" dj acquaintance to discuss music and other stuff and she's part of it.

Oh, fancy. Can you share more details of what kinds of things she's posted about M?

On 6/11/2023 at 10:45 AM, Starchild said:

Oh, fancy. Can you share more details of what kinds of things she's posted about M?

The Tracey Thorn article about finally allowing herself to love Madonna. I first read it shared by her there  (ironically the dj friend who invited me to join the group is half of the ex duet who did "Me and Madonna")

On 6/14/2023 at 9:01 AM, Roland Barthes said:

The Tracey Thorn article about finally allowing herself to love Madonna. I first read it shared by her there  (ironically the dj friend who invited me to join the group is half of the ex duet who did "Me and Madonna")

Cool!

Does anyone have this article in full, please? I'm not about to become a New Statesman subscriber.

https://news.madonnatribe.com/en/2020/learning-to-love-madonna/