Pre-Album Regrets

That's because she was a SINGLES ARTIST in the 80s. She could of released a single of her farting and burping and it would have went top 10

With radio no longer playing her new stuff, which is the NORM and to be expected for any over 50 year old artist, why release so many singles?

I'm actually surprised she released 3 to be honest with you.

Cher only released 1 off her last album, Mariah just 2, Streisand only releases 1 or 2 singles an album these days.

Those references aren't really that relevant though. Cher has never been a radio artist. Mariah has been a big nada in that sense for 15 years with the exception of The Emancipation of Mimi and Obsessed, and Streisand? She has definitely not been a radio featured singer in three decades. Guilty and maybe Til I Loved You...Other than that, nothing by Barbra has been played on radio since 1980. 

Madonna's problem is that for some absurd reason, she has been pandering to radio for almost a decade while they in return have no interest. She lost the plot essentially because the industry was changing so rapidly. That's why it took getting to Taylor Swift to have another real radio endorsed huge star. The Gagas, Katys and Mileys tried, but with limited success because no one knew what would count in the end. Madonna has been on the wrong side of industry history since Hard Candy. You just can't afford to be even a half step behind the rules of Billboard or the trends of how to release and get new music heard. The rulebook seems to have been consistently rewritten just at the wrong time for Madonna in the latter part of her career. Hopefully she will start paying serious attention to her legacy now as we are starting to see, because otherwise, monumental achievements of yesteryear are gonna start looking like footnotes in retrospect as the zeitgeist moves on at a faster pace than ever before.

^huh? NOBODY over the of 50, even 40, gets radio love in the music industry.

It's the NORM

Not necessarily a bad thing as she's now a "legacy artist" like the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney.

So of course she's not gonna release 5 singles an album these days

Huh? Is that a way to communicate a disagreement? Lol. Fine. I understand what you are saying. I wasn't really focusing on the age of the singers you mentioned. More their commercial irrelevance being long established at radio. 

However, I will reinforce what I stated. Yes, age is a factor. The general public could insist on having a broader say in what they hear, but instead they too will listen to whatever 15 year olds listen to because they are sheeple. Also, Madonna was not a singles artist in the 1980s. She was very much an album and a singles artist. Look it up. That's why she, Prince and Michael Jackson were the quintessential international superstars.

^ true about the 15 year old thing that you mentioned.

I believe she was BOTH a singles and albums artist in the 80s and became a BONAFIDE albums artist in the 90s

Although she still had a bunch of hit singles on the 90s as well.

I'm a moderate Prince fan, I have some of his albums, but aside from the massively successful Purple Rain soundtrack, I wouldn't put him in the same league as Madonna or MJ commercially speaking

Aside from Purple Rain, his other 80s albums were decent sellers and even soft hits but he was nowhere near the huge sales of Thriller, Bad or Like a Virgin, True Blue or even Like a Prayer

Prince himself seemed to PURPOSELY be non commercial through much of his career as opposed to MJ or Madonna who were always commercial to am extent.

Also in the 90s, both MJ and Prince saw a massive commercial decline while Madonna more or less repeated her 80s success

All 7 of her albums in the 90s she released went multi platinum, her 2 90s tours made more money and sold more tickets than her 2 80s tours, she had a further 15 top 10 singles, nearly equaling the 17 she had in the 80s

By comparison, MJ had just 6 top 10 hits in the 90s and Prince only 4.

^huh? NOBODY over the of 50, even 40, gets radio love in the music industry.

It's the NORM

Not necessarily a bad thing as she's now a "legacy artist" like the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney.

So of course she's not gonna release 5 singles an album these days

I was going to say this in the underappreciated thread. I mean I am not a fan of these people really but like Cher, since Believe there has been nothing, Elton John had a album last year and last time - he was actually huge was Lion King and Paul McCartney had album last year or two and he got play with the Kanye, Rihanna song only. It's very standard  Madonna kept that stigma off but I heard this era wasn't so good to her; wasn't she moved her off one BBC station.

• 8 months later...

There's NO PROBLEM with RH, it's her best album since Confessions. It's really a "return to form".

The leaks COMPLETELY hurt the albums commercial potential, instead of being at 1.2 million worldwide sales (which is still more than Mariah and Janet last albums COMBINED) RH would of easily equaled if not beat the 2 million sales of MDNA if it didn't leak in full 5 months prior.

Amazingly RH would of finished as like the #5 top selling album of the year worldwide with those numbers

Album sales are DREADFUL

I don't think it sold more than 1 million.