Lucky Star Video Trivia

me1981

So I was always wondering what the UK used to promo Lucky Star, since it was released there twice and both times ahead of the US. I assumed they just didn't have a music video or made one from her Holiday performance clips.

I was going through some chart runs from Top of the Pops. The March 29th 1984 chart run played the Lucky Star video. Chris Ciccone had stated in his book they shot the video in February. I guess this confirms it, also confirms the video got shown in the UK before the US. I assume she shot the video for the UK, since Madonna never wanted to release the single in the US.

I have linked the video below, though it is not that interesting as the uploader has cut out the actual video, you only see the start and end of it. I just thought this trivia was interesting, as I have never seen it mentioned the video was played elsewhere and so early on. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4p5QmgGYA

Bridget jones is confusing because it's wrong! First single was everybody, first charted song Lucky star (at 80 something) first top 40 hit was Holiday??

Yeah I always thought it odd Bridget was so humiliated by it all when they were wrong, lol. Although maybe it was on purpose, I have been to trivia nights when they got a question wrong. I actually went to a fan release party for Ray of Light back in the day and I had to spend the whole time correcting all their trivia answers, lol. 

• 6 years later...
On 2/24/2017 at 10:09 AM, me1981 said:

So I also discovered MTV started playing Lucky Star in May 1984. It seems it was used originally as a promo video only due to the song being the B side to Borderline, again it seems Lucky Star was never supposed to be released in the US.

Where did you discovered this about mtv starting play it on may? I'm trying to find out when the video was recorded and released, the informations around are so confusing.

5 minutes ago, Salveliz said:

Where did you discovered this about mtv starting play it on may? I'm trying to find out when the video was recorded and released, the informations around are so confusing.

It's not true that the song wasn't intended for release in the U.S.  Warner was going to release it in the summer of '83, but the issue was; U.S. radio was already playing Holiday and it was gaining a lot of traction, so the U.S. market rushed a single release of Holiday while UK got Lucky Star.  To answer your question... LUCKY STAR the video was shot in Los Angeles in February 1984 with a $14,000 budget.

4 minutes ago, McDonna said:

It's not true that the song wasn't intended for release in the U.S.  Warner was going to release it in the summer of '83, but the issue was; U.S. radio was already playing Holiday and it was gaining a lot of traction, so the U.S. market rushed a single release of Holiday while UK got Lucky Star.  To answer your question... LUCKY STAR the video was shot in Los Angeles in February 1984 with a $14,000 budget.

Borderline and Lucky Star were shot in the same month? And do you exactly know when the Lucky Star video was released by MTV?

7 minutes ago, Salveliz said:

Borderline and Lucky Star were shot in the same month? And do you exactly know when the Lucky Star video was released by MTV?

Borderline was shot shortly before Lucky Star, as shooting started in late January and wrapped up in early February.  I am not sure what you mean by "released by MTV".  MTV was the "go to" for any artist to release their video to.  I'm sure the popularity of Borderline, played a role in the interest of MTV wanting to air Lucky Star when it was available.

47 minutes ago, McDonna said:

$14,000 to film 3 people dancing in front of a white wall 😮

31 minutes ago, Redha DBL said:

$14,000 to film 3 people dancing in front of a white wall 😮

Quite typical of a budge back then for artists just starting out. Most directors alone demand more money than that.  Though, Madonna has always been frugal with the money given to her.  You can bet, she spent as less as possible, so she can pocket as much as she could.

3 hours ago, McDonna said:

Borderline was shot shortly before Lucky Star, as shooting started in late January and wrapped up in early February.  I am not sure what you mean by "released by MTV".  MTV was the "go to" for any artist to release their video to.  I'm sure the popularity of Borderline, played a role in the interest of MTV wanting to air Lucky Star when it was available.

What I'm trying to say with "released by mtv" is, first we had before Everybody not properly as "official" , once she said in one of her early interviews, about the second video doing well, quoting Borderline, then the first one aired by MTV was Burning Up, this made me think that maybe Lucky Star with this poor information when it was shoot, and when was properly released, wasn't supposed to be an official release, then they decided to put it on till Like a Virgin came out. All right, this information about february still makes me confusing, shooting two videos simultaneously, of course what you said about the MTV interesting on her after Borderline is logical. The other question is in all her videos collection Lucky Star always appears in first, I would love to know the exactly date of filming sessions, Borderline on set of ET some kind shows us from january to 12 february, Lucky Star could have been filmed way before, I don't know, then some say the video started to play on mtv on march others says in august, a puzzle.

22 minutes ago, Salveliz said:

What I'm trying to say with "released by mtv" is, first we had before Everybody not properly as "official" , once she said in one of her early interviews, about the second video doing well, quoting Borderline, then the first one aired by MTV was Burning Up, this made me think that maybe Lucky Star with this poor information when it was shoot, and when was properly released, wasn't supposed to be an official release, then they decided to put it on till Like a Virgin came out. All right, this information about february still makes me confusing, shooting two videos simultaneously, of course what you said about the MTV interesting on her after Borderline is logical. The other question is in all her videos collection Lucky Star always appears in first, I would love to know the exactly date of filming sessions, Borderline on set of ET some kind shows us from january to 12 february, Lucky Star could have been filmed way before, I don't know, then some say the video started to play on mtv on march others says in august, a puzzle.

No, Lucky Star was filmed in February 1984. It's on public record as so. Borderline was filmed beforehand between the dates of Jan 30th to February 2nd. Keep in mind, Madonna wasn't an artist really played on MTV up until this point.  Borderline was the song that really put her on the map on  the video front.  This was all in early '84.  With the success of Holiday, on radio her first album was getting more and more buzz.  By the time, Borderline was released and become top 10, she was already working on her follow up album Like A Virgin.  In fact, it was originally going to be released in June of 1984, but then her record Company decided to release Lucky Star after the success of Borderline.  MTV begin airing Lucky Star by the spring and summer of '84.  In fact, MTV wanted Madonna to perform Lucky Star at the first VMA's but she decline and insisted on performing a new song, which was Like A Virgin.  The album Like a VIrgin was delayed due to the success of Borderline and Lucky Star in the U.S. 

Keep in mind, "Lucky Star" was already released as a single in the UK the year prior.  It was originally going to be third single in the U.S., but Holiday was released instead due to it being a popular radio song already.

Regarding her Videography: her first official video was Everybody, but it wasn't really played on video stations.  Burning Up was her second single and video.  While MTV did play it, it was rare.  It wasn't until the release of the video/single Borderline that MTV really paid her a lot of attention.  Lucky Star became a top 10 in the U.S. by  the summer of '84 which led to the popularity of the video during that same year. 

She really didn't consider "Everybody" her first official video until years later.  Early on, she considered Burning up being her first video and considered Borderline her second.  The Lucky Star Video wasn't filmed until after Borderline as stated before.  It didn't air until months later after Borderline's success.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 4:50 AM, Salveliz said:

Billboard magazine published MTV's rotation list and showed new adds. Actually I found out the video was first seen Mar 25, 1984 on an MTV show called IRS Records presents The Cutting Edge. A monthly show on MTV two days before Top of the Pops aired it. So it officially had its debut in the US.

Borderline was filmed mid Feb (around Feb 12) I think Lucky Star was done just before this. The single was released in the UK Mar 05. I am certain Madonna got back from her London trip in late Jan, early Feb and shot the video. 

On 2/19/2024 at 9:55 AM, McDonna said:

No, Lucky Star was filmed in February 1984. It's on public record as so. Borderline was filmed beforehand between the dates of Jan 30th to February 2nd. Keep in mind, Madonna wasn't an artist really played on MTV up until this point.  Borderline was the song that really put her on the map on  the video front.  This was all in early '84.  With the success of Holiday, on radio her first album was getting more and more buzz.  By the time, Borderline was released and become top 10, she was already working on her follow up album Like A Virgin.  In fact, it was originally going to be released in June of 1984, but then her record Company decided to release Lucky Star after the success of Borderline.  MTV begin airing Lucky Star by the spring and summer of '84.  In fact, MTV wanted Madonna to perform Lucky Star at the first VMA's but she decline and insisted on performing a new song, which was Like A Virgin.  The album Like a VIrgin was delayed due to the success of Borderline and Lucky Star in the U.S. 

Keep in mind, "Lucky Star" was already released as a single in the UK the year prior.  It was originally going to be third single in the U.S., but Holiday was released instead due to it being a popular radio song already.

Regarding her Videography: her first official video was Everybody, but it wasn't really played on video stations.  Burning Up was her second single and video.  While MTV did play it, it was rare.  It wasn't until the release of the video/single Borderline that MTV really paid her a lot of attention.  Lucky Star became a top 10 in the U.S. by  the summer of '84 which led to the popularity of the video during that same year. 

She really didn't consider "Everybody" her first official video until years later.  Early on, she considered Burning up being her first video and considered Borderline her second.  The Lucky Star Video wasn't filmed until after Borderline as stated before.  It didn't air until months later after Borderline's success.

Borderline was filmed around Feb 12. We have BTS footage with the clapper board that show she is on set Feb 12. Not sure where Jan 30 came from. Maybe Lucky Star was shot during those dates. I assume the confusion is from the Smash Hits interview where she is called up to return to do a music video and everyone has assumed it was Borderline.

vlcsnap-2024-02-14-23h35m20s590.png

On 2/19/2024 at 6:27 AM, Cyber-Raga said:

I always assumed the LS video was shot much later even after LAV. Didn’t she say in one of the interviews that LAV was good to go but suddenly the first album was gaining momentum so WB decided to properly release LS. 

Nope, it aired on MTV for the first time on March 25, 1984 and aired on Top of the Pops March 29, 1984. She likely shot the video right after her London promo trip in January. Likely why it comes across as basically a live performance similar to what she had been doing around that time with the same outfits. 

One Sire or WB exec said Lucky Star was never supposed to be a single in the US, but Madonna got sued for the first time and they convinced her to release it to make some quick money, and MTV in May 84 started playing the video on light rotation along with Borderline. The video caught steam and Sire released a plain sleeve 7", basically spending little to no money on it.

Borderline was only released as one Sire/WB exec wanted to show the more serious/Adult contemporary side of her. It was the planned single from at least Nov or Dec 83 as the George Holz photoshoot (the one used on the re-released First Album) which was actually shot in Dec 83 for the Borderline cover and an upcoming Interview Magazine piece on her. 

6 hours ago, me1981 said:

Nope, it aired on MTV for the first time on March 25, 1984 and aired on Top of the Pops March 29, 1984. She likely shot the video right after her London promo trip in January. Likely why it comes across as basically a live performance similar to what she had been doing around that time with the same outfits. 

One Sire or WB exec said Lucky Star was never supposed to be a single in the US, but Madonna got sued for the first time and they convinced her to release it to make some quick money, and MTV in May 84 started playing the video on light rotation along with Borderline. The video caught steam and Sire released a plain sleeve 7", basically spending little to no money on it.

Borderline was only released as one Sire/WB exec wanted to show the more serious/Adult contemporary side of her. It was the planned single from at least Nov or Dec 83 as the George Holz photoshoot (the one used on the re-released First Album) which was actually shot in Dec 83 for the Borderline cover and an upcoming Interview Magazine piece on her. 

What was she sued for that time?

On 2/18/2024 at 1:16 PM, McDonna said:

The Borderline video was shot around February 12th. 
Madonna was on her European promo tour until January 30th

6 hours ago, me1981 said:

Okay me1981! show up!