Was Hard Candy bigger in the USA than Confessions?

MDNA22

Not really, Confessions is certified with sales of around 1,7 million in the US, while Hard Candy did around 750k... they were both #1 albums but, overall, Confessions did better in the US.

4 Minutes did better in the charts than Hung Up,  and Give it 2 Me did almost the same as Sorry. But in terms of overall success and sales, Confessions was still more successful as a whole, even in the US.

The single for 4 Minutes was more successful than the singles from Confessions in the U.S., but no, the Hard Candy album was not more successful than Confessions in the U.S.  Despite radio hesitating in playing the Confessions singles, she still got a lot of exposure. Clubs were playing the songs. MTV also regularly played Hung Up and Sorry as well.  They were popular videos on video stations.  4 Minutes definitely was a big selling single and radio song, unlike her her Confession singles.  Confession still outsold Hard Candy in the U.S.

Lets get one thing straight...

Confessions was a massive success in the USA.

• It went #1 on the Hot 200
  • First single was a top 10 hit on the Hot 100, especially at a time when it was dominated by hip/hop & rnb, not dance music from a woman in her 40s....
  • Received rave reviews, a metacritic score of 80/100
  • The album was certified platinum by RIAA for shipments of one million copies, only a month after its release! (it's likely over 2x platinum now)
  • It was the 43rd best selling album of 2005
  • Won a Grammy for Best Dance/Electronica album

Despite the fact that Hung Up wasn’t a huge chart hit (largely bc of airplay), I personally remember COADF being really well received- fans, casual fans, dance music fans; a lot of people seemed to really embrace it as a return to form for her.

They really tried to give HC more US appeal, and 4 Minutes was a bigger chart hit (largely bc of JT), but there was also a fair amount of criticism that era- she was following on the Timbaland & Pharrell trends, she seemed more like a guest artist on her own album, the cover was highly criticized at first, etc.

For what its worth the US leg of the Confessions Tour did roughly twice as many shows in all the major markets as S&S did.

4 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Despite the fact that Hung Up wasn’t a huge chart hit (largely bc of airplay), I personally remember COADF being really well received- fans, casual fans, dance music fans; a lot of people seemed to really embrace it as a return to form for her.

They really tried to give HC more US appeal, and 4 Minutes was a bigger chart hit (largely bc of JT), but there was also a fair amount of criticism that era- she was following on the Timbaland & Pharrell trends, she seemed more like a guest artist on her own album, the cover was highly criticized at first, etc.

For what its worth the US leg of the Confessions Tour did roughly twice as many shows in all the major markets as S&S did.

It was radio that was most apprehensive to Madonna during the Confessions era.  Other than that, I felt like the over all the album and the first two singles and the album were received extremely will in the U.S. 

I don't think 4 Minutes would have done even half its success without the collaboration of Justin Timberlake and Timbaland.  Radio was far more willing to play it because of Justin and Timbaland was involved.  The song also was one of her biggest selling singles, but of course I always attribute that to it featuring Timberlake and Timbaland who were big selling acts at the time, even though she jumped on the band wagon a bit late.

All this COADF talking makes me wonder again what would this album success be if they included on it the original versions of History and Superpop (ofc Isaac didn't need to go away as there was plenty of space on disc for all 14 songs).

From when they leaked until today, they have been much praised and a lot of people mourned M did not include them.

They'd be stellar on CT1 imho!

15 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Also Hung Up was #1 on TRL for so long it had to be retired .

Its chart peak was based mainly on sales.

Imagine if U.S. radio were willing to play the song more. Hung Up would have definitely scored #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.  If I recall, it was the #1 selling single physically and digitally.   

But still the Confessions songs are very weak melodically. Imagine a version of Get Together with her strumming on a guitar  and no other accompaniments. It would sound horrible. 
  Mdolla is definitely sweeter. And sassier  And ballsier 

edit: maybe 4 Minutes benefits more from its production and is the least melodic of the bunch. 

12 hours ago, Mden said:

But still the Confessions songs are very weak melodically. Imagine a version of Get Together with her strumming on a guitar  and no other accompaniments. It would sound horrible. 

Many years ago there was a YouTuber who did an acoustic version of this song and it was absolutely amazing. I wish I could find it again for you to hear it.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

Many years ago there was a YouTuber who did an acoustic version of this song and it was absolutely amazing. I wish I could find it again for you to hear it.

Found it. At 53 sec. She obviously over embellished to compensate for the weak melodies.  https://youtu.be/E6QZRKSii80?si=cwmsBopJ390L3AhJ

14 hours ago, Mden said:

Mdolla is definitely sweeter. And sassier  And ballsier 

edit: maybe 4 Minutes benefits more from its production and is the least melodic of the bunch. 

Totally, I love the era, her looks, the album is good and the tour amazing. But I missed a big ballad a la the power of goodbye or a killer as la vogue. Yet I enjoyed the whole thing. But to me COADF is not such a masterpiece of an album neither HC so worse. I don´t know.