Australia and the Blond Ambition Tour

me1981

Hey all

I was reading through some old newspapers for research and came across a little trivia. In March 1990 the Melbourne Age and Sydney Morning Herald both reported Madonna was in talks to come to Australia for at least 2 shows, but promoters pulled out when she asked for $500K for each show. 

There was always rumours that she had intended to include us on that tour (I had heard them a while ago, but never knew the reason it didn't happen)

Hey all

I was reading through some old newspapers for research and came across a little trivia. In March 1990 the Melbourne Age and Sydney Morning Herald both reported Madonna was in talks to come to Australia for at least 2 shows, but promoters pulled out when she asked for $500K for each show. 

There was always rumours that she had intended to include us on that tour (I had heard them a while ago, but never knew the reason it didn't happen)

She was paid $1.5m per show in 1993, so it seems odd that promoters would baulk at $0.5m three years earlier...

She was paid $1.5m per show in 1993, so it seems odd that promoters would baulk at $0.5m three years earlier...

I agree. I guess they had never really dealt with fees that high before. In 1990 Madonna charged roughly $30 a ticket and that was seen as exorbitant. Big lavish and technically complicated shows like Madonna's were not the done thing.

By 1993 charging double or more was normal, most artist were charging $60 and upwards of a couple hundred. So I guess the promoters saw a return on the Girlie Show dates and probably not on Blond Ambition.