Ray of Light (1998)

Music (2000)

American Life (2003)

Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005)

Hard Candy (2008)

MDNA (2012)

Rebel Heart (2015)

Madame X (2019)

Which of those albums do you think were the best of their respective year and if not, what other albums by other artists do you consider the best of the same year? Preferably in the pop genre or some comparable one (not metal or hip hop). You don't have to tell about all fourteen of course.

I for one will talk about Madame X and although it wasn't perfect, I can't think of another popular record that was better in 2019. MDNA on the other hand wasn't the best of 2012. I think Lana Del Rey's Born To Die or Red by Taylor Swift captured the sound of that year much better than the others. And 2008 I think was the year of Coldplay's Viva La Vida way more than Hard Candy's.

Before Madonna, I was fan of Communards (Bronsky Beat,  Jimmy Someville) so in my memories the best albums were:

Like A Virgin (1984) --> Bronski Beat- The Age Of Consent

True Blue (1986) --> The Communards - The Communards.

Who's That Girl (1987) --> The Communards - Red

Like a Prayer (1989) --> Jimmy Somerville - Read My Lips

Bedtime Stories (1994) --> The best of Jimmy Somerville. 

I'm sorry. Since I was a little boy I've always hated to buy full albums. I always bought singles and maxisingles. And thanks to singles and remixes, I started to love Madonna with passion in 1989. 

I think the problem is another one.

Basically since 1983 every year we had something: a record or a tour or at least a soundtrack.

In the Eighties 1988 was the first year that was her first big break.

If we consider 1991's Truth or dare 1992, 1997 was the only year in the Nineties that was without any new official release (post Evita and post Lola and pre-ROL).

2002 and 2007 were a little empty (Swept Away, Live Earth...) but globally it was a big decade.

This past decade was terrible.

After Celebration in late 2009, with the adoptions and W.E. we had to wait until Febraury 2012. About two full full years (2010-2011) without music, except Masterpiece.. but many leaks!!

After MDNA Tour, we had two full years (2013-2014) without new music. We had Secret Project and MDNA Skin.

After Rebel Heart and RHT, we had another two full years (2017-2018) without any music.

If we're getting the MXT dvd before the end of the year, I'm expecting another long break... until 2023?

This too long wait kills the popularity in pop...

5 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

@EnricoSorry I never mentioned any problem :cute: I just wanted to hear about great music in the same years that Madonna released her albums. Or if people thought that she really made the best music that year. Just like the Grammys but from the fans' point of view, thank you.

No, you're right, I deviated from your question... but I have to say I remember every M album in the Eighties and Nineties being very very popular and between the best!

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

For me 87 was a fab year I mean wtg tour , bad album and tour and prince with sign o the times - it doesn’t get any better than that year ???

I agree, 1987 was an incredible year!!

I would add U2 Joshua tree, Faith by George Michael, Sting's Nothing like the sun, Actually by Pet shop boys, Terence Trent d'Arby, Whitney...

WOW! Best year in music EVER!!!!

LAP is absolutely the best album of 1989, but there are some honorable mentions: Janet's Rhythm Nation, Tears for fears' The seeds of love, Cher's Heart of stone.

I think the best records of 1994 were Blur's Parklife, Oasis' Definetly Maybe and TLC's CrazySexyCool. Can't say Bedtime stories deserves the podium...

1998: best album is ROL indeed, but also Lauren Hill and Believe by Cher.

2000's best album is Eminem Marshall Mathers imo.