When you were first starting out as a Madonna fan....

Voguerista

.....did you know hook, line, and sinker that you would be a fan forever? Of maybe you are a new fan now....if so, do you know if Madonna will hold you forever or does it depend on her new music?

The first time I heard Papa Don't Preach and then all the songs at the time, I knew I was sealed forever. Before that, I was mesmerized by Madonna and her music, but, that time period sealed it forever. Even when "Erotica" came out and I didn't first like it very much(and same with Bedtime Stories), I was still sealed. It's odd because with time, I ended up liking those two albums and songs too in another way.

Anyway, I'm sealed because this has been a complete and utterly magical  "journey". With all the ups and downs or whether I've liked something or not, there has always been something to like or appreciate.

For me, I knew of her music before I really knew who she was. I had heard her earlier hits like "Lucky Star", "Borderline" and "Holiday". When "Like a Virgin" was released, I was still vague about who she was. It was only when I saw that my sister got the "Material Girl" single when I became more curious. I remember asking her, "who is this Madonna"?  I didn't believe it was her real name at first. By 1985, I knew exactly who she was, but still wasn't a huge loon of a fan I am now. In fact, my sister drove us nuts by playing "Pretender" and "Shoo-Bee-Doo" over and over and over. I believe "Into the Groove" was the song that first hooked me. I really liked that song. I remember trying to record all her songs on the radio at this time. Though, it wasn't until "Live To Tell" that I just went bonkers over her. This is when I started recording every video off of MTV and catching any glimpse of her as I can. Still, I was just a kid, so it took me a year or so before I started buying her records, cassettes and CD's. By late 1986, I bought everything I saw Madonna's name tied to. If she was on a magazine cover, I bought it. I bought any poster I came across, buttons, etc.

I did feel a bit overwhelmed by her during the EROTICA period.  I thought it was get a bit ridiculous, and at first listen, the album (aside to a number of the songs), it kinda bored me. I tried to cool  my heels, but I couldn't. Her videos still captivated me at the time. I do have a new found respect for the Erotica album now. Lyrically it's a great album. I crack up every time listening to her sing, "Colonel Sander says it best.... Finger lickin' good".  "Bad Girl" was just a beautifully cinematic shot video. I also loved "Rain's" video as well.

Since then, I haven't thought twice in hanging up my fan shoes.

The first time I heard about Madonna was in a book I used to study in Primary school. That must have been in 1998, I was just a kid. Her name was mentioned in the profile of a girl in the question 'what music do you like?'. I remember asking myself 'who is that Madonna?' and 'look at her name, it's written with double n' lol No idea what the word madonna meant at that time but when I first discovered the song Like a Virgin I would soon realise the play on words.

The next Madonna reference I was victim of (lol) took place in a famous Chilean tv contest. There were these girls trying to emulate the Beautiful Stranger's choreography, I hadn't even watched the video at the time but because of these girls I thought 'WHO IS that sexual woman everybody's trying to imitate?'. Soon after that I watched the American Pie video on MTV and became completely obssesed about it. She looked so damn good, maybe that was the last true straight moment in my life lmao because I found her so beautiful and captivating :hearteyes: Next step was trying to get the song! In Chile cassettes were still selling well in the early 2000s so I first managed to get the main remix version of American Pie from the radio, old-school style, no commercial bullshit (yet lol)

That's basically my beginning following Madonna, thanks to The Immaculate Collection, which my mom loved at the time, I realised the woman behind Live to Tell was in fact Madonna. I heard that song when I was probably around 3 or 4 years old, in the early 90's. I tended to associate it with Irene Cara's 'What a Feeling' (the intro sounded similar to me) and 'The Power of Love' by Jennifer Rush, it was sort of triad of songs I loved at the time but had not idea who the singer was.

Now I have the feeling I will love Madonna til the day I die.

Became a fan when I first saw the Borderline video. Became a hardcore fan when I first heard Into the Groove. Strange how at the time, it seemed to be more than just the music that made me love her - her attitude, her style. But throughout the years, her music became the soundtrack to my life. And looking back now, I realize it has always been about the music and her voice. Her music has helped me through my most difficult times in life and also helped me celebrate the most wonderful times in my life. And she emotes whatever song she sings. Whatever she sings, I hear her story. I get the message. I feel her. I felt so proud of myself when she thanked her fans during RIT for standing by her though thick and thin.  I stood by her even through the Erotica and American Life eras. My love for her artistry, her music and her voice has grown stronger now than ever.

I will always be a fan of hers. Not gonna bitch if I don't like the new album I just will take whatever's good and enjoy it like with MDNA. but I'm a fan for life 100%  :heart:

Same here. Even when there's something I don't like in an album or whatever, all I need to do is go back to Erotica, LAP or IC and BAM ! I'm stuck with her again ! :)