Opinions on alternative versions for "The Immaculate Collection"

Holger

• 8 months later...

I just got The Immaculate Collection on CD but the CD looked a little scratched so I’m test-playing it currently. And I have a question!!!

is “Material Girl” supposed to sound like… that? It sounded kind of echoey to me, like there were echoed background vocals. I’m  inclined to think it’s just an alternate version than I’m used to, but I want to make sure it’s not an error caused by CD damage. 

3 hours ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

I just got The Immaculate Collection on CD but the CD looked a little scratched so I’m test-playing it currently. And I have a question!!!

is “Material Girl” supposed to sound like… that? It sounded kind of echoey to me, like there were echoed background vocals. I’m  inclined to think it’s just an alternate version than I’m used to, but I want to make sure it’s not an error caused by CD damage. 

Yes there’s an echo on the vocals 

6 hours ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

"Material Girl" and many other songs on "TIC" are super echoish, "Cherish" in particular too. It was an artistic choice and the way to achieve the Q-Sound effect they were going for.

Check the YouTube version but it's probably that you're not used to it so it's shocking at first.

11 hours ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

Oh making profit of your story I'm gonna tell mine about how I bought TIC CD more than 20 years ago.

Bought it at a Walmart-like store very popular at that time in my country called Magal, exactly two days before this same store got all burnt in a very serious fire incident - by the way, store chain bankrupted a few years after my purchase.

So I am to this day very proud of saving the actual Bible from some Library of Alexandria situation!!!

@Donnawould even forgive my sins against him after reading this emotional testimony of faith and miracles!!!

On 5/11/2024 at 4:56 AM, Prayer said:

"Material Girl" and many other songs on "TIC" are super echoish, "Cherish" in particular too. It was an artistic choice and the way to achieve the Q-Sound effect they were going for.

Check the YouTube version but it's probably that you're not used to it so it's shocking at first.

Thanks. Yeah, was definitely alarming! Not very pleasant.

On 5/11/2024 at 9:19 AM, Anapausis said:

Oh making profit of your story I'm gonna tell mine about how I bought TIC CD more than 20 years ago.

Bought it at a Walmart-like store very popular at that time in my country called Magal, exactly two days before this same store got all burnt in a very serious fire incident - by the way, store chain bankrupted a few years after my purchase.

So I am to this day very proud of saving the actual Bible from some Library of Alexandria situation!!!

@Donnawould even forgive my sins against him after reading this emotional testimony of faith and miracles!!!

Girl you gotta stop tagging that person, they don't want to be tagged 

The Immaculate Collection is still one of the best greatest hits collections ever released. Especially considering the breadth of work in just a 7 year period. As a fan, I always wanted more, but from a consumer/marketing perspective I think I understand some of the choices more now. 

- it being a single disc kept the price point customer friendly which  guaranteed more units sold. 
- I too would have favored Who’s That Girl and Causing a Commotion, but Justify My Love and Rescue Me gave them something new and provocative to promote. Also, that movie was not successful. 
- I always liked the remixes. I already had the originals. This gave me another reason to get this. And on a larger scale, Like a Prayer was released only the year before. Again, the remixes offered something you didn’t just buy. 

On a different note, GHV2 was a dumpster fire and she wanted nothing to do with it. I still don’t own it. 🤪

As I was really used to some of these versions, being the ones that I first discovered when I was a kid, they tend to be my favorites. I don't mind the echoey feeling at all.

Holiday, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Crazy for You, Into the Groove, Live to Tell, Express Yourself and Vogue are all here as my favorite versions.

And of course Justify My Love is excellent too. Rescue Me I prefer the slighly shorter Single Mix.

9/17 tracks that I listen to regularly, not too bad. :) It's still one of the greatest compilations ever made to this day.

On 5/15/2024 at 6:19 AM, Curtains said:

As I was really used to some of these versions, being the ones that I first discovered when I was a kid, they tend to be my favorites. I don't mind the echoey feeling at all.

Holiday, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Crazy for You, Into the Groove, Live to Tell, Express Yourself and Vogue are all here as my favorite versions.

And of course Justify My Love is excellent too. Rescue Me I prefer the slighly shorter Single Mix.

9/17 tracks that I listen to regularly, not too bad. :) It's still one of the greatest compilations ever made to this day.

My feelings exactly. I had TIC on cassette as a child and played it over and over. It was my intro to Madonna. 

years later getting into her back catalogue (before I knew TIC were remixed QSound versions) I was always surprised that songs I knew so well sounded a little unfamiliar in places when listening to them on the original albums, figured that maybe my memory was just playing tricks on me. 

I’ve listened to TIC since and in many cases I still prefer these versions over the originals. I wish they’d fix TIC on Spotify as that’s really the only way I regularly listen to music these days (aside from vinyl) and I’d love to be able to hear all the QSound mixes “on-the-go”. 

25 minutes ago, Veronica-Electronica said:

My feelings exactly. I had TIC on cassette as a child and played it over and over. It was my intro to Madonna. 

years later getting into her back catalogue (before I knew TIC were remixed QSound versions) I was always surprised that songs I knew so well sounded a little unfamiliar in places when listening to them on the original albums, figured that maybe my memory was just playing tricks on me. 

I’ve listened to TIC since and in many cases I still prefer these versions over the originals. I wish they’d fix TIC on Spotify as that’s really the only way I regularly listen to music these days (aside from vinyl) and I’d love to be able to hear all the QSound mixes “on-the-go”. 

For me, I was aware when this was being released, Madonna wanted to release something rather than an average Greatest Hits. (Keep in mind, she was never too keen on GH's).  She figured if she's going to have to release such, she is going to offer a different perspective on the big hits, rather just offer what's already been released or a simple edit.  She wanted the songs to sound remixed and fresh.  The Q-Sound was a newer technology that people weren't too familiar with as well.  Therefore, the album offered more than just the rehash of the classic hits.  I preferred she did this.  For a fan like myself, I have the songs in original format, so it didn't bother me that these were re-tooled for this release. It was a great idea at the time.  I still think it was.  No one was bothered by the release at the time, and a lot of these versions became staple versions that were played on radio as well.

And yes, I detest the digital/streaming version of this album.  I'm so happy to own the physical version of this album to enjoy it how it was originally intended.

My only issue with the immaculate collection is actually the two new tracks  Justify My Love & Rescue Me. I love both songs so much but they just don’t fit with the party vibe of the rest of the album at all. Most of the tracks for immaculate were picked for thier party playlist nature which is why Dress You Up, True Blue and Causing A Commotion would have been great on there. Unlike GVH2 I’d have been completely happy if the album had finished with Vogue. Justify My Love and Rescue Me are pure. 90’s songs which is probably why she wanted to point towards the future but they really feel like the two older siblings at the kids party. 
It was everyone’s go to get ready to go out album and Justify just killed the flow. I know Live To Tell was there too but it’s so much more dramatic and sing along. 

The original Madonna 83-90 Japan albums but with 18 tracks from the era would have been perfect for me really. 

1. Holiday
  2. Lucky Star
  3. Borderline
  4. Like A Virgin
  5. Material Girl
  6. Crazy For You
  7. Into The Groove
  8. Dress You Up
  9. Live To Tell
  10. Papa Don’t Preach
  11. True Blue
  12. Open Your Heart
  13. La Isla Bonita 
  14. Causing A Commotion
  15. Like A Prayer
  16. Express Yourself
  17. Cherish
  18. Vogue

boppage 

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at various releases of "The Immaculate Collection" on Discogs the other day. I was "shocked" to find out, that the recent re-issues have the booklet in complete black and white. No red colour on the text, no sepia pictures... On the other hand, Ingrid Chavez is credited on "Justify My Love" as one of the writers... Does anybody know why the booklet was so "drasticly" changed?

1 hour ago, Holger said:

I was looking at various releases of "The Immaculate Collection" on Discogs the other day. I was "shocked" to find out, that the recent re-issues have the booklet in complete black and white. No red colour on the text, no sepia pictures... On the other hand, Ingrid Chavez is credited on "Justify My Love" as one of the writers... Does anybody know why the booklet was so "drasticly" changed?

It's simply cheaper to manufacture that way.

Ingrid Chavez was credited after she sued Kravitz. Basically Lenny Kravitz did her dirty and when the song exploded everyone around her (including Prince) told her she had to do something about it, since it was her song and that agreement wasn't right.

From Wikipedia:

Upon the song's release, Chavez filed a lawsuit against them, claiming the only words Kravitz wrote were "justify my love", while Madonna changed one line. It was also reported that she only received a US$500 advance after Kravitz pressured her to sign an agreement surrendering credit and three-quarters of royalties. He admitted that Chavez had written part of the lyrics, but both had agreed not to credit her for personal and professional reasons, and accused her of trying to "make like she did the whole thing" upon the single's success. She responded by stating that the reason was because he was afraid his wife would think they were having an affair. They eventually reached an out-of-court settlement whereby she received 12.5% percent of royalties and her name on the next pressings.

Madonna didn't know, she was presented the song by Kravitz.

This was quite awful for Ingrid Chavez. She was going to launch her own music career (helped by Prince) with that style (spoken words over beats) but of course after "Justify My Love", Madonna was seen as the first one doing that - and exploring that avenue even more on the "Erotica" album - so Ingrid didn't even have a chance even if it was her thing originally.

More on that.