The Donna and Niki Thread

RUADJAI

11 hours ago, steady75 said:

Always found it a bit odd that M didn't do any work for Niki to help her career. No songs written or direction when arguably Niki could have been a huge star.

I don't think she had what it takes to become a huge star otherwise she would have. But also, none of the people Madonna gave songs to became huge stars anyway. Madonna only gave away her reject songs and saved the best for herself. So I don't expect it would have helped her. She already had the huge benefit of being seen with Madonna on MTV, in Truth or Dare etc, Probably the main reason she landed the Snap gig.

I hit the big time but I still get the blues

Everyone's a stranger, city life can get to you

People can be so cold, never want to turn your back

Just givin' to get something, always wanting something back

Happy 34th KIT anniversary everybody!!!

EDIT and OT: the duo were backing vocals to KIT afaik.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:57 AM, steady75 said:

Always found it a bit odd that M didn't do any work for Niki to help her career. No songs written or direction when arguably Niki could have been a huge star. She obviously had ambitions despite what she said as the Snap thing really took off for her. You'd have thought Niki would have been one of her first Maverick signings.

I disagree; Niki didn't have the drive and ambition. She really verified that in those latest podcast interviews from last summer.  Before she audition for Madonna, she didn't think she would have been in the music business much longer and expected to get an average job within time. I personally think she just rode the Madonna wave.  Certainly if she put more ambition into her career, she could have been her own star, but she didn't really do so. That's the big difference between her and Donna.  Donna was willing to try to take on a solo career, even though it didn't get as successful as I'm sure she hoped.  She really had a nonchalant approach and didn't really care to explore beyond what she was offered.  She just lucked out with Madonna, and I'm sure she had other opportunities once she worked for Madonna, but she spent more time being embarrassed she was connected to Madonna early on, then embracing it.  I think now she realizes how Madonna's impact could have helped her career, but she's still too proud to admit that Madonna could have been the one that put her on the map.