Which artists do you think either copied or heavily borrowed from Madonnas career the most?

Tudors

8 hours ago, Donna said:

If I recall, Michael used him for "In the Closet" several years later. 

That was David Fincher..... and before Madonna worked with him, he worked regularly with Paula Abdul... but of course, anyone before Madonna doesn't count :lord:

EDIT: I dunno what I was thinking, I thought we were talking about Who Is It

51 minutes ago, androiduser said:

That was David Fincher..... and before Madonna worked with him, he worked regularly with Paula Abdul... but of course, anyone before Madonna doesn't count :lord:

Nope!  Herb Ritts directed "In the Closet".  And yes, David directed three of Paula's videos before directing "Express Yourself".  Keep in mind, Fincher was in high demand at that time, so he was very active at that time.

37 minutes ago, Donna said:

Nope!  Herb Ritts directed "In the Closet".  And yes, David directed three of Paula's videos before directing "Express Yourself".  Keep in mind, Fincher was in high demand at that time, so he was very active at that time.

OMG, you're right, I was talking about Who Is It, dunno what I was thinking... the LEGENDARY In the Closet with Naomi, oh my gosh!!! Definitely Herb Ritts through and through!

21 hours ago, Donna said:

Controversial to whom?  Janet did not take notes from Madonna. Only some Madonna fans try to make that connection.  If anything, Janet avoided being like Madonna.  Yet, the two were coming up at the same time, so there are bound to be some similarities because they had similar friends they worked with throughout the years, whether it be directors, designers, producers, photographers, etc.  Janet was far more genuine urban while Madonna was pop trying to be urban from time to time. Madonna seemed to explore more genres throughout her career, while Janet's pretty much stuck to pop and R&B.  But let's not forget Janet was one of the mainstream artists that help New Jack Swing onto the scene in the mid to late 80's.  If Janet was "consciously not" taking notes from anyone it was her brother.  I don't believe either were taking notes from Madonna.

I said Janet didn't consciously take notes from Madonna.

Janet definitely carved her own lane and has her own legacy separate from the blueprint Madonna created, but to say she would've done the same (reinvention, genre hopping, pro-gay themes, sexual liberation, provocative/powerful imagery) in a universe where Madonna hadn't just been the first to popularize each thing with huge commercial success mere months-years prior... is just not realistic. 

You can't put it down to coincidence when Madonna was thee global standard for all women in pop music at the time. The concept of "female pop icon" was cooked with Madonna's DNA... and reheated by every pop girl to break through after 1985.

I did mention New Jack Swing as an instance of Janet influencing Madonna. and naturally the TLC influences on Bedtime Stories stem from Janet too. My point was that they influenced each other more than some fans would like to think. As a stan of both I'd say their careers are actually very similar, and there are no artists who match either of them better than each other.

23 hours ago, godonna said:

I said Janet didn't consciously take notes from Madonna.

Janet definitely carved her own lane and has her own legacy separate from the blueprint Madonna created, but to say she would've done the same (reinvention, genre hopping, pro-gay themes, sexual liberation, provocative/powerful imagery) in a universe where Madonna hadn't just been the first to popularize each thing with huge commercial success mere months-years prior... is just not realistic. 

You can't put it down to coincidence when Madonna was thee global standard for all women in pop music at the time. The concept of "female pop icon" was cooked with Madonna's DNA... and reheated by every pop girl to break through after 1985.

I did mention New Jack Swing as an instance of Janet influencing Madonna. and naturally the TLC influences on Bedtime Stories stem from Janet too. My point was that they influenced each other more than some fans would like to think. As a stan of both I'd say their careers are actually very similar, and there are no artists who match either of them better than each other.

We're basically saying the same thing. But I still don't believe Madonna was as influential to Janet being more sexual. I think she would have gotten there no matter what.  Madonna took it to a level no one else has gone and really hasn't gone since.  Sure, Madonna may opened the door to make it easier, but I do think Janet would have done the same without anything Madonna did.

I love Janet and other than her being a pop star and having huge success in the U.S. like Madonna, I don't see much more comparisons.  I've noticed only Madonna fans make the comparisons.  I know some Janet fans who aren't Madonna fans and they don't compare her to Madonna or think the two are any much alike. 

I just think Janet just got sexy because she finally achieved skinniness and wanted to show off her body. With that comes a sexier image. Here she goes molesting a gay fan on stage. Madonna never did that.

These days though Janet is covered from head to toe and her shows are very plain

10 hours ago, Donna said:

We're basically saying the same thing. But I still don't believe Madonna was as influential to Janet being more sexual. I think she would have gotten there no matter what.  Madonna took it to a level no one else has gone and really hasn't gone since.  Sure, Madonna may opened the door to make it easier, but I do think Janet would have done the same without anything Madonna did.

10 hours ago, Scottyx said:

Lots of people have vaginas. Lots like to play with them. Not just Madonna.

Before Madonna the blueprint for women in pop was Tina Turner, Donna Summer, Diana Ross, Cher, Olivia Newton John... none of whom created anything remotely comparable to Justify My Love, Erotica and the Sex book, or even really Like a Virgin. Madonna didn't invent sexual liberation but she sure as hell revolutionised it and popularised it... and then Janet just coincidentally had the same idea as Madonna, a matter of months-years later, just as Madonna's sexual liberation art started changing pop culture? Come on guys!!!

22 minutes ago, godonna said:

Before Madonna the blueprint for women in pop was Tina Turner, Donna Summer, Diana Ross, Cher, Olivia Newton John... none of whom created anything remotely comparable to Justify My Love, Erotica and the Sex book, or even really Like a Virgin. Madonna didn't invent sexual liberation but she sure as hell revolutionised it and popularised it... and then Janet just coincidentally had the same idea as Madonna, a matter of months-years later, just as Madonna's sexual liberation art started changing pop culture? Come on guys!!!

I can get on board with that. Madonna definitely continued the sexual revolution.  She wasn't afraid to explore what many were experiencing, but at the time pretending it wasn't happening. She did open the doors.  I still don't believe Janet was following Madonna's lead, but yes Madonna probably  made it more acceptable for what Janet was expressing sexually.

41 minutes ago, godonna said:

You can't tell these people.

1 hour ago, godonna said:

maybe not but Donna Summer sure enjoyed live orgasms on her songs lol

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

Swift is the LEAST Madonna-like pop star out there, and I think Madonna fans resent her for it because they can't credit her success to Madonna. I can't think of one similarity. What, she wears costumes on stage?

i agree

i meant on different levels, i should have been more specific 

gaga artistically

beyonce/tailer more the business aspect of being a global, dominant super star. i agree, there are no artistic similarities with swift, few with beyonce

3 hours ago, androiduser said:

Swift is the LEAST Madonna-like pop star out there, and I think Madonna fans resent her for it because they can't credit her success to Madonna. I can't think of one similarity. What, she wears costumes on stage?

I agree, other than she has the same business sense as Madonna, I don't see much else.  Maybe she has a similar drive as Madonna has had?  That's all I really see.  Taylor is a whole different type of phenomenon, and she is actually far more appreciated and loved by people of all ages and has a huge Country fan base as well.  I certainly will agree that Taylor isn't as interesting or appealing as Madonna is, but she still has a lot of talent and drive.  She may have more pull/influence than Madonna ever did throughout the prime of her career as well.