The biggest collaboration that never came to fruition!

To be perfectly honest I disliked MJ. Ever since I saw photos of him dangling his baby over a balcony I just strongly disliked him. I don't care what the reason for it was, it was disgusting. Also most of his music sounds like it comes from one album. He's evidently very talented, but I don't care for his music or his voice.

^and Madonna sold more albums than Michael and had more hits than him in the 90s and 2000s.

So...

And Invincible did not outsell Music innthe early 2000s.

Also both TIC and Dangerous had similar worldwide sales in the early 90s, granted one was a greatest hits album

MJ had 4 top 10 hits in the US between 91-93 and only a paltry SIX the entire 90s decade, while Madonna, DESPITE going through her backlash period, had 5 top 10's that same period and 7 top 40 hits.

And Im not including the MASSIVE for Madonna 89-90 when Madonna had an additional SIX further top 10 hits and Jackson had zero

MJ only having six top 10's in the 90s is really mediocre, more than Madonna, MJ really was an "80s artist" because the majority of his album sales and ALMOST all his solo hits were in the 80s, the same cant be said about Madonna who had 15 top 10 hits in the 90s and more Hot 100 entries than any other artist that decade

^and Madonna sold more albums than Michael and had more hits than him in the 90s and 2000s.

So...

Also both TIC and Dangerous had similar worldwide sales in the early 90s, granted one was a greatest hits album

MJ had 4 top 10 hits in the US between 91-93 and only a paltry SIX the entire 90s decade, while Madonna, DESPITE going through her backlash period, had 5 top 10's that same period and 7 top 40 hits.

And Im not including the MASSIVE for Madonna 89-90 when Madonna had an additional SIX further top 10 hits and Jackson had zero

MJ only having six top 10's in the 90s is really mediocre, more than Madonna, MJ really was an "80s artist" because the majority of his album sales and ALMOST all his solo hits were in the 80s, the same cant be said about Madonna who had 15 top 10 hits in the 90s and more Hot 100 entries than any other artist that decade

So...

Madonna peaked from 85-91, from Like A Virgin to Vogue, she had an maxing record those years.

Exactly and then she had another "mini" peak with artistic respect, which she lacked during gñher 80s/early 90s peak, from 96-01

For OBVIOUS reasons, MJ was never able to have a "second wind" so to speak that late in the game

Exactly and then she had another "mini" peak with artistic respect, which she lacked during gñher 80s/early 90s peak, from 96-01

For OBVIOUS reasons, MJ was never able to have a "second wind" so to speak that late in the game

Incorrect. You seem to forget MJ has had great success as a solo artist and with Jackson Five.  His "second wind" was when he became an adult, starting with his solo album "Off the Wall". 

Furthermore, while "Invincible" sold a million less copies world-wide than Madonna's "Music", it still sold over 10 million world-wide. His previous effort "History" sold over 20 million. That trumps anything Madonna did in the 90's since none of her albums in the 90's sold over 20 million world-wide except "Immaculate Collection".   I'm willing to say Madonna sustained moderate success throughout the 90's  and even throughout the 2000's with a couple of nice boosts, but backing up to what this was originally about, Jackson still outsold Madonna even during her "peak" period.  Believe me, I'm the last one here who would undermine Madonna's success. Unfortunately, she's still falls short when comparing who sold more albums.  It's hardly fair to compare all his albums with "Thriller's" success because no one else was selling that many copies of their albums and hasn't since. Even "Bad" and "Dangerous" outsold most albums during the time, including Madonna's. 

In my opinion,

Michael Jackson's memorable hits from the 90s included:

Black or White

Remember the Time

Heal the World

They Don't Care About Us

Earth Song

Madonna's memorable hits from the 90s:

Vogue

........ I can't think of any single from Erotica that non-fans really remember!

Secret

Take a Bow

You'll See

Don't Cry for Me Argentina

Frozen

Ray of Light

Beautiful Stranger

In my opinion,

Michael Jackson's memorable hits from the 90s included:

Black or White

Remember the Time

Heal the World

They Don't Care About Us

Earth Song

Madonna's memorable hits from the 90s:

Vogue

........ I can't think of any single from Erotica that non-fans really remember!

Secret

Take a Bow

You'll See

Don't Cry for Me Argentina

Frozen

Ray of Light

Beautiful Stranger

"You are Not Alone" and "Scream" were quite memorable as well.  Bigger hits than "Earth Song" and "They Don't Care About Us".  Also, I would say "Will You Be There" was a pretty memorable hit. Tying it to "Free Willy" at the time was a smart move and helped make it even more successful.

But Madonna remained a HUGE selling artist throughout the 90s, EVERY album she released went multi platinum and she had more top 10 hits than MJ and PRINCE COMBINED in the 90s.

Madonna was the #4 top selling artist worldwide of the 90s, in the 80s she was#2 behind MJ and the #6 top selling artist in the US in the 90s, in the 80s she was #2 in the US in the 80s behind MJ.

That's hardly "moderate success". Moderate success would be Cyndi Lauper's career in the 80s when she had one big selling album followed one so so and one poor selling album and 8 top 10 hits and 2 #1's

And MJ would release 7-8 singles an album, Warnerd wanted to do that with True Blue but Madonna had already begus the Who's That Girls Soundtrack

So Bad may have out sold TB worldwide, 32 million vs. 25 million, Bad also had 8 singles while TB hd 5. If you combine TB and the WTG soundtrack with 7 smash top5 singles released between the 2, Madonna is at 32 million sold worldwide in albums, 25 for TB and 7 million for WTG, during that era.

I honestly believed that if Madonna would of "milked" the LAV OR TB OR EVEN LAP era like MJ would do that, with the OBVIOUS exclusion of Thriller , all those Madonna albums would of had similar sales to BAD or DANGEROUS worldwide.

Madonna was just more productive and got bored easily with the same project

And MJ would release 7-8 singles an album, Warnerd wanted to do that with True Blue but Madonna had already begus the Who's That Girls Soundtrack

So Bad may have out sold TB worldwide, 32 million vs. 25 million, Bad also had 8 singles while TB hd 5. If you combine TB and the WTG soundtrack with 7 smash top5 singles released between the 2, Madonna is at 32 million sold worldwide in albums, 25 for TB and 7 million for WTG, during that era.

I honestly believed that if Madonna would of "milked" the LAV OR TB OR EVEN LAP era like MJ would do that, with the OBVIOUS exclusion of Thriller , all those Madonna albums would of had similar sales to BAD or DANGEROUS worldwide.

Madonna was just more productive and got bored easily with the same project

And History's worldwide sales are actually over 10 million NOT 20

Since it was a double album sales were counted TWICE

And depending om whom you go by, Ray of Light sold between 16 million, the low end estimate, to 20 million, the high estimate, worldwide.

I know, ROL sold 12-13 million in just Europe and the US alone

"You are Not Alone" and "Scream" were quite memorable as well.  Bigger hits than "Earth Song" and "They Don't Care About Us".  Also, I would say "Will You Be There" was a pretty memorable hit. Tying it to "Free Willy" at the time was a smart move and helped make it even more successful.

I was about to include You Are Not Alone, Scream, and Will You Be There  :jamming:

As much as I love Michael I don't think it would've worked.  

It's just one of those things that sound better than they actually would be.  

I'm new and not sure how to post links but his I could've gotten behind. 

http://www.celebsnow.co.uk/celebrity-news/madonna-wanted-to-perform-with-michael-jackson-at-the-o2-198418

Madonna wanted MJ to join her on stage for S&S tour.

+1 i know i'm copying madonna when i say this. But its just reductive for kim to try and copy Madonna. IMO I love everyone but i just can't make myself like the kardashians. I do like Khloe Kardashian ever so often \. I just saw this on twitter. And wondered if anyone had posted here. 

Why are people getting so bent out of shape over this?  It was a Halloween costume.  I don't get it? I don't pay any attention to the Kardashians to have an opinion of them. My first thought was "oh cool! What a clever costume that honors two pop legends!!"  They did it because they appreciate and respect them.  There was no ill-will on their part, so why should we bag on them for dressing up like them? 

The duet didnt happen for a reason so i'm glad its just a "nearly happened" song - to me they will always be the king and queen of pop despite the fact they are very different personality wise ? I think hes a better singer than M but i think M has evolved way more visually and musically - look at her shows compared to his ? what always bugged me about MJ was that he repeated himself a lot ? he always sang thriller, billie jean, beat it, smooth criminal the same on every tour ? I miss him terribly though(nearly as much as i miss Prince) To me when an artist has that legendary status they dont need to duet ? they were too big to collaborate on a song - the Prince duet to me was also a failure for the same reason. Im not a fan of any of M's duets except the ricky martin one but thats mainly because i love orbits gorgeous production - i hated the britney and justin duets :((

The duet didnt happen for a reason so i'm glad its just a "nearly happened" song - to me they will always be the king and queen of pop despite the fact they are very different personality wise ? I think hes a better singer than M but i think M has evolved way more visually and musically - look at her shows compared to his ? what always bugged me about MJ was that he repeated himself a lot ? he always sang thriller, billie jean, beat it, smooth criminal the same on every tour ? I miss him terribly though(nearly as much as i miss Prince) To me when an artist has that legendary status they dont need to duet ? they were too big to collaborate on a song - the Prince duet to me was also a failure for the same reason. Im not a fan of any of M's duets except the ricky martin one but thats mainly because i love orbits gorgeous production - i hated the britney and justin duets :((

I totally agree that he's a far better singer, but she's far more interesting and "evolved" as an artist visually and musically. He seemed to be more stuck on violence and/or these creepy visuals.  I liked a lot of what he did visually, but he really didn't deviate from that even with his later work. I totally do appreciate how he used his music to make films around them. I always wished Madonna did the same being she was so intrigued with being an actress for sometime.  But I can understand, why she was persistent in films. Though seeing it didn't really work as well as she hoped, I now wish she poured some of that acting into videos.  I always enjoyed her more cinematic videos. 

As for "duets", I am not sure I agree that anyone is "too big" to do a duet.  In the older days, it was always about collaborating with the biggest stars.  In the 80's, it seemed to be more about ONE artist, trying to be very iconic.  That period only last for so long before it was exhausted.  After all, an artist can only do something so many ways before they start recycling and/or becoming less appealing. By teaming up with other people constantly, it keeps you in with what is current.  I'm glad Madonna has extended her talent to collaborate with other artists. It's not like we don't have a hell of a lot of solo stuff from her.  And we will continue to get that as well, but I do feel teaming up with other people will be far more beneficial for her... at least to keep her in the circle of current entertainment.