Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

12 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

This is why I’m so glad I have all her maxi CDs and promos CDs - you can scoff at me and call me sad for keeping a “ obsolete “ format even though you lot prefer vinyl over cd but judging by these digital releases they are mostly crap bombastic masters - maybe it’s time her team went back to the original files but then some would moan they aren’t loud enough 🙄

You're making a small mistake... The songs that are coming out with a volume that's too high (and therefore distorted) are precisely those from before 1989, mainly the ones that weren't released on CD (or were only released occasionally, like in the Japanese CD-Singles box). The rest are coming out almost with the same quality as the CD.

Unfortunately, in the end, it will be those old vinyls that have the best audio quality. Although it seems that lately, they haven't been overdoing the volume as much.

4 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

You're making a small mistake... The songs that are coming out with a volume that's too high (and therefore distorted) are precisely those from before 1989, mainly the ones that weren't released on CD (or were only released occasionally, like in the Japanese CD-Singles box). The rest are coming out almost with the same quality as the CD.

Unfortunately, in the end, it will be those old vinyls that have the best audio quality. Although it seems that lately, they haven't been overdoing the volume as much.

The who’s that girl dub is not bad at all. Even with the higher volume it still sounds much better than the vinyl rips 

2 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

The who’s that girl dub is not bad at all. Even with the higher volume it still sounds much better than the vinyl rips 

Yes, you are right. That is the reason why I've said "Although it seems that lately, they haven't been overdoing the volume as much".

In my opinion, the problem are the singles prior True Blue. I think after 1986 they have all stored in digital files, but before that date, they need to ditized that rare singles edits and remixes.

12 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

This is why I’m so glad I have all her maxi CDs and promos CDs - you can scoff at me and call me sad for keeping a “ obsolete “ format

Me too and CDs are not obsolete. I own that stuff forever. I love streaming but licenses run out and stuff disappears. 

13 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

This is why I’m so glad I have all her maxi CDs and promos CDs - you can scoff at me and call me sad for keeping a “ obsolete “ format even though you lot prefer vinyl over cd but judging by these digital releases they are mostly crap bombastic masters - maybe it’s time her team went back to the original files but then some would moan they aren’t loud enough 🙄

But why is it okay for you to scoff and be negative about digital or other physical format releases that you're not interested in?  Why not just accept all can be beneficial?  Right now, Digital/Streaming and Vinyls are hot.  Why must you bitch and moan about this and then get upset at others who are just simply happy that the current popular format is being updated?  At the end of the day, the huge focus is updating her digital/streaming catalog.  Anything physical such as FEL is something entirely new and has been released on all formats including CDs.

10 hours ago, Anapausis said:

Who in this thread reported UKMix had announced Who's That Girl maxi reissue in one week ahead? I guess if Dress You Up comes next week, much likely UKMix have now something to say about right? Unless the cat has eaten their tongue again...

Checked hours before but didn't appear it seemed! Sadly, let's hope

9 minutes ago, animalinstinct said:

Will we get ‘Dress You Up’ next week for its anniversary? 

If only my questions here could be answered...

15 hours ago, Anapausis said:

Who in this thread reported UKMix had announced Who's That Girl maxi reissue in one week ahead? I guess if Dress You Up comes next week, much likely UKMix have now something to say about right? Unless the cat has eaten their tongue again...

But I guess Rhino just gave them, this time behind the curtains, another hell of a lecture! #papadontpreach #imintroubledeep

5 hours ago, anjoel said:

Me too and CDs are not obsolete. I own that stuff forever. I love streaming but licenses run out and stuff disappears. 

But why do we need to have this mentality of a CD vs. Streaming war?

My Promo-CDs and CD-Singles (along with my 7'' vinyls) are my most treasured Madonna items, but thanks to streaming, we're getting a lot of content from digital sources that was previously only available on vinyl. To me, streaming is a perfect complement to CD singles, and of course, I end up burning CDs with those tracks that were never available from digital sources before.

10 minutes ago, Cyberraga said:

Still no info.

I guess someone else has put my ass to their ignore list but couldn't care less.

Anyways, moving on quickly from drama - my idol @Would You Like To Trydeserves much better - a very healthy, safe environment actually: and my Spanish idol @Aiwa08 as well. May next week reveal some surprise to their cards!!!

20 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Speaking of volume, is there a reason why the Like a Prayer album volume is so low? I don't remember reading anything about it, but both the physical and digital versions sound badly mastered or something.

4 minutes ago, missberic said:

Speaking of volume, is there a reason why the Like a Prayer album volume is so low? I don't remember reading anything about it, but both the physical and digital versions sound badly mastered or something.

It's just the original master. Maybe something to do with digital recordings in the 80s? The original "Like A Virgin" album (also a digital recording) is also quiet, as far as I know.

23 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

If you're interested in knowing what the music video for 'Express Yourself' would have been like with the album version, here it is:

EXPRESS YOURSELF (FULL ALBUM VERSION)

Hidden Content

And if you're curious about how the intro would have been if the Remix Edit had included the spoken intro, here it is:

EXPRESS YOURSELF (REMIX EDIT WITH VOCAL INTRO)

Hidden Content

Doing the Lord's work over here

1 hour ago, missberic said:

I've always said that, for me, the only two albums that really need a proper remaster are Like A Prayer (not because of the volume, since it has a very wide dynamic range, but because it lacks bass) and Ray of Light (which, in my opinion, lacks treble). The rest of the albums from Music onwards actually have worse sound quality due to the Loudness War (which is why many people think the vinyl sounds better).

PS: I forgot to mention that the volume of Like A Prayer is at its maximum without compressing any of the sound signal. In other words, it's at the standard volume. Anything louder than that means compressing the sound signal (which is what started the Loudness War).

Tp15q4u.jpeg

1 hour ago, missberic said:

The 2005 WTG [WPCR-75122], YCD [WPCR-75123], LAP [WPCR-75124] and IB [WPCR-75125] CD reissues from Japan are louder than the original masters.

Edited by silverspark75 (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I've always said that, for me, the only two albums that really need a proper remaster are Like A Prayer (not because of the volume, since it has a very wide dynamic range, but because it lacks bass) and Ray of Light (which, in my opinion, lacks treble). The rest of the albums from Music onwards actually have worse sound quality due to the Loudness War (which is why many people think the vinyl sounds better).

PS: I forgot to mention that the volume of Like A Prayer is at its maximum without compressing any of the sound signal. In other words, it's at the standard volume. Anything louder than that means compressing the sound signal (which is what started the Loudness War).

Tp15q4u.jpeg

And it gotten worse. XD

2 hours ago, Roy said:

And it gotten worse. XD

Well, compressing the dynamic range a bit isn't the issue. The problem is when they try to make "Promise to Try" as loud as "Bitch, I'm Madonna". Unfortunately, because people now listen to music on their cell phones, they keep asking for the same stupid thing (I want "Like A Prayer" to sound as loud as a heavy metal album, blah, blah, blah) and in the end, the "remaster" turns into a disaster with the songs becoming completely distorted and inaudible.

4 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Well, compressing the dynamic range a bit isn't the issue. The problem is when they try to make "Promise to Try" as loud as "Bitch, I'm Madonna". Unfortunately, because people now listen to music on their cell phones, they keep asking for the same stupid thing (I want "Like A Prayer" to sound as loud as a heavy metal album, blah, blah, blah) and in the end, the "remaster" turns into a disaster with the songs becoming completely distorted and inaudible.

WAIT WHAT?!

Who the hell boosted PTT and what pressing? FFS.

44 minutes ago, Roy said:

WAIT WHAT?!

Who the hell boosted PTT and what pressing? FFS.

Fortunately, no one. I was talking about the fans who want that:

'I WANT THE LIKE A PRAYER ALBUM LOUDER, LOUDER, LOUDER, LOUDEEER.

And that was the problem with Gambler, Everybody, FEL... Dear Madonna fan, if you want the volume of Like A Prayer to be higher, turn up the volume, and if it's still not loud enough at maximum, install an app on your cell phone to boost the volume of your songs even more. I have danced to Express Yourself and Like a Prayer in clubs, and the bass and treble almost destroy the buildings (figuratively). So, the problem is not in the mastering; the problem is that you need a more powerful amplifier (and preferably not to listen on your cell phone).

Nuff' said. I'm sorry for the rant but I hate the "Loudness War" :fingerclick:

PS: And yes, I am the only fan who, since Music, has been asking for those albums to be remastered quieter, quieter, quieter to recover the original dynamic range: https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/1/dr-max/asc?artist=Madonna (red=bad, green=good).

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW