Madonna's "Truth Or Dare" Changed A Generation Of Gay People; The Director Takes Us Behind The Scenes

madgefan

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Madonna still has a deal with Warners that she has to approve of any archives stuff that they releaseWhich is why we won't be getting anything anytime soon as Madonna is gonna be making a shitload on tour and she ain't got tine to revisit the past.Maybe when she's retired however

• 2 months later...
Madonna’s Truth or Dare†among Vulture’s 50 Best Music Documentaries of All Time
Posted Image
Photo-Illustration: Maya Robinson

The past few years have been something of a golden age for music documentaries, opening up the field for films about less obvious stars. The list of 50 documentaries made by Vulture features old classics, new favourites, and a few films that deserve a wider audience. Madonna‘s Truth Or Dare is part of this list, of course, and it’s at #16.

16. Madonna: Truth or Dare (1991)

It’s Madonna Louise Ciccone’s sublime self-awareness that makes Truth or Dare such a kick. Knowing that everything she’d do in front of director Alek Keshishian’s cameras would be scrutinized by fans and critics alike, Madonna put on a show, obliterating the line between her private life and her public persona. She does a provocative bump-and-grind onstage, and then backstage fellates an Evian bottle in between explicit conversations about sex with her gay backup dancers. She lets Keshishian keep in her guarded boyfriend Warren Beatty’s criticism of her exhibitionism, and her own snide remarks about Kevin Costner and Oprah Winfrey. She has awkward encounters with old friends and family who remember her as a working-class kid from Detroit. The entire movie seems designed — by Madonna herself — to force the audience to question who “Madonna†is. The line between performance art and brand-building has never been so thin.

• 3 months later...

Madonna's 'Blonde Ambition' Dancers Tell Their Own Stories in New Documentary 'Strike a Pose'

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/madonnas-blonde-ambition-dancers-tell-their-own-stories-in-new-documentary-strike-a-pose-20160121

Posted Image

The Panorama main program of the Berlin International Film Festival which kicks off next month, includes "Strike a Pose," a feature documentary from Ester Gould and Reijer Zwaan, which makes it premiere at the Berlinale.

The story courtesy of the filmmakers: In 1990, seven young male dancers joined Madonna on her most controversial world tour - her "Blonde Ambition" world tour. Their journey was captured in her rockumentary, "Truth or Dare." As a self-proclaimed "mother" to her six gay dancers plus straight Oliver, Madonna used the film to make a stand on gay rights and freedom of expression. The dancers became paragons of pride, inspiring people all over the world to dare to be who you are. Twenty-five years later, the dancers share their own stories about life during and after the tour. What does it really take to express yourself?

The feature documentary was selected for the 2014 IDFA Bertha Fund, formerly known as the Jan Vrijman Fund, which supports documentary filmmakers and festivals in developing countries. Its goal is to stimulate local film cultures and to turn the creative documentary into a truly global film art.

In January 1992, three of the "Blonde Ambition" dancers - Oliver Crumes, Kevin Stea and Gabriel Trupin - filed a lawsuit against Madonna. The suit claimed that their privacy had been invaded during the filming of "Truth or Dare." I suppose this bit of info will be addressed in "Strike a Pose." 

The "Truth or Dare" rockumentary followed Madonna on the road, behind the scenes with her "Blonde Ambition" family of backup singers and dancers, and is still considered groundbreaking for it’s candid, matter-of-fact depiction of the private lives of her seven dancers, six of whom were gay.

No trailer yet. But it's a film that we'll likely be writing more about in the future, as it travels.

This year's Berlin International Film Festival runs from February 11 - 21.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.strikeaposefilm.com/#

In 1990, seven young male dancers - 6 gay, 1 straight - joined Madonna on her most controversial tour. On stage and in the iconic film Truth or Dare they showed the world how to express yourself. Now, 25 years later, they reveal the truth about life during and after the tour. Strike a Pose is a dramatic tale about overcoming shame and finding the courage to be who you are.

Posted Image

A Chat with Voguing Legend Luis Xtravaganza about the New Documentary “Strike a Poseâ€

http://worldofwonder.net/a-chat-with-voguing-legend-luis-xtravaganza-about-the-new-documentary-strike-a-pose/

Posted Image

A new documentary Strike a Pose â€“ about the seven voguers from Madonna‘s fabled Blonde Ambition tour –premieres this month at the Berlin International Film Festival.

From directors Ester Gould and Reijer Zwaan:

The “Truth or Dare†rockumentary followed Madonna on the road, behind the scenes with her “Blonde Ambition†family of backup singers and dancers, and is still considered groundbreaking for it’s candid, matter-of-fact depiction of the private lives of her seven dancers.

As a self-proclaimed “mother†to her six gay dancers plus straight Oliver, Madonna used the film to make a stand on gay rights and freedom of expression. The dancers became paragons of pride, inspiring people all over the world to dare to be who you are. Twenty-five years later, the dancers share their own stories about life during and after the tour. What does it really take to express yourself?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I talked to Luis Xtravaganza (you know, the cute one) about the making of the documentary as well as his overall feelings about the tour, the ensuing fan frenzy, and how he feels about Madonna 25 years later.

JSJ: That period of your life must have been such a mad whirl. What memories stand out? What do you treasure most from that time?

LX:The thing that I treasured most from that whole B.A. experience was the chance to “get out†and see the world, experience different people/cultures, all while doing what I loved doing… which was dancing. The result far exceeded my expectations and I’m still grateful that she gave a kid from the projects a chance to get out and spread his wings.

I imagine that you are asked about it ALL THE TIME (I know a thing or two about that) – does it ever get annoying? 

My experience overall was positive both then (1990) AND now (2016).

Tell me a little bit about the filmmakers. How did you meet? 

How I came to know the filmmakers is kind of funny and ironic! My partner David informed me that Kevin Stea was trying to get a hold of me. When I asked what for, he said it had something to do with a documentary. I asked him if it was the people from World of Wonder and he said that he didn’t think so. So I disregarded the request!!! Hand to God truth! LOL!!! After conversing with Kevin, he urged me to speak to them and so I relented.

What did you take away from the experience?

What I took away from the experience was a sense of closure. It was a full circle moment for me.

What’s your life like now? Do you still spend time with the houses? Are you a mentor to the children?

My life now is more “settled†than before…LOL!! I live in Los Angeles now so I don’t have as much contact with my house as I used to, but I carry the “X†proudly everyday!
We have a west coast division of our house and I try to see them when I can. Yes, I mentor some of the guys out here.

That whole Vogue period was so revolutionary – you DO recognize your part in the cultural shift towards LGBT acceptance, right? I know some people have spoken out about Madonna co-opting ballroom culture etc – I wonder if you can address that? Or is that rude of me to ask?

I’m grateful and humbled to have been part of something that was/is considered revolutionary… especially for our LGBT community.

In regards to co-opting…I strongly believe that things happen the way they’re supposed to. I don’t believe there was some diabolical scheme behind what is said about that whole situation. I do believe that people/artists draw upon what influences them… and I’d like to believe that we were influential to her at that time.

In the end…I think, it was a wonderful “expression†of a sub-culture that was brought to the mainstream from a person that was an advocator and a supporter of that community and the LGBT community as a whole.

Do you ever see/hear from Oliver? Will he be in Berlin?

To be honest, I haven’t seen Oliver in a long time… and that’s not because I didn’t like him! It’s just due to our lives taking us in different directions. I had the pleasure of seeing him not too long ago and have been in contact thru FB. I look forward to seeing him in Berlin!

The strange and wonderful thing about all of the dancers is, no matter how much time passes, we always pick up right where we left off. We have this lovely brotherhood that has sprouted from this whole experience.

I look forward to seeing them all in Berlin!!

Have fun in Berlin (it’s my FAVORITE CITY IN THE WORLD)

Posted ImagePosted Image

There’s no trailer for Strike a Pose yet. But it’s a film that we’ll likely be writing more about in the future, as it travels.

Madonna's Blond Ambition dancers: New film 'Strike a Pose' reveals what happened to them

It's 25 years since seven male dancers were picked out by Madonna for her Blond Ambition tour. They became gay role models and celebrities in their own right but inevitably the bubble burst, as a new film reveals.
It's just over 25 years now since Madonna placed an ad anonymously to recruit “FIERCE male dancers who know the meaning of TROOP STYLE, BEAT BOY and VOGUE…wimps and Wanna-Be's need not apply.â€

The seven dancers she chose from open auditions in LA and New York accompanied Madonna during her 1990 Blond Ambition world tour, celebrated in the Truth Or Dare (aka In Bed with Madonna) documentary. They were all in their early twenties. Six were gay. They became celebrities in their own right as they travelled the world with the biggest pop star of the era. The dancers were wildly flamboyant. Most were classically trained.

“They are still very intriguing characters, all of them,†says Reijer Zwaan, whose new documentary about them, Strike a Pose (co-directed with Ester Gould) screens at the Berlin festival next week. Five of the dancers will be in Berlin for the world premiere. “To this day, they are great, inspiring and bold characters. These guys, when they were 20, were having the time of their lives. They were travelling the world. They were well known. They were performing in front of 50,000 people.†The dancers and the singers became a very close-knit group. Madonna talked about “feeling like a mother†toward them.

As a kid growing up in the Netherlands in the early 1990s, Zwaan, now a respected current affairs journalist with Dutch public TV, had been obsessed by Madonna and the dancers. He first saw Truth Or Dare when he was 11 years old. 

“At the time, I was just fascinated by the tour, by the concert footage but also by the backstage material – the larger-than-life reality that they were all in. I saw it (the film) many times afterwards for the simple reason that my stepmother had bought the VHS.†What, Zwaan wondered, had happened to all the dancers in the intervening years? He decided to find out.

Thanks to social media, the dancers weren't hard to track down. The trick was to convince them all to appear in the film. Zwaan and his co-director, Gould, wrote them all “a beautiful letterâ€, asking them to appear in the film.

Some responded immediately and agreed to appear in the film. Others were more cautious. “It's not the same story for each dancer but in general, they were interested in what we were talking about… they were flattered and wary at the same time,†Gould suggests.

It was clear to the dancers that this wasn't just a gossipy, nostalgic film with Madonna at the centre. The real intention was to explore just how these dancers reinvented their lives once their time in the limelight was over. The dancers are acknowledged to have had a considerable influence on gay culture. Truth Or Dare was considered groundbreaking – a mainstream film that turned into a huge box office hit and featured a scene of two gay men kissing.

As one fan puts it, “I remember watching this movie in middle school. It was before the internet. I rented it from the video store. It was the first time I saw gay people talking uncensored, being themselves, with this amazing woman.â€

Twenty-five years on, the dancers are still stopped in the street. “People will say to them, 'Thanks to you, I dared to come out to my family,'†says co-director Gould. “Every week, they get a letter or message from somebody thanking them. They know they have had an impact. At the same time, they have had to move on.â€

Strike a Pose includes scenes in which the dancers read some of their fan letters. These message are often very poignant. “You guys were and still are my heroes. You gave me hope when there was none,†reads one typical message. “

The dancers may have been role models and a source of inspiration to fans but they have experienced chequered lives. They were all from very different backgrounds. One of them, Gabriel Trupin (whose mother appears in the film), died of an Aids-related illness in 1995. 

Posted Image
Luis Camacho in make-up (Lisa Guarnieri)

Not long before his death, Trupin, together with two of the other dancers, had launched a lawsuit against Madonna (which was later settled), claiming that the film had invaded their privacy. It highlighted a paradox that Strike a Pose now attempts to unravel. Trupin has been an inspiration for many young, gay kids. He and the other dancers gave the impression on screen and on stage that they didn't care what the outside world thought about them. They were reckless and very creative. As it turned out, though, they were far more vulnerable than they appeared. Trupin was horrified that the scene of him French-kissing another man had been included in Truth Or Dare.

“That paradox was very interesting to us and something we talked about a lot to the dancers and to Gabriel's mother,†says Zwaan. “So many people have pointed out to us that that scene (of the gay kiss) helped them to accept themselves and to dare to come out. Then, at the same time, one of the kissers had a whole different feeling about it.†During their time with Madonna, the dancers had been living in “a bubble†and inevitably that bubble burst. There were struggles with alcoholism, illness, professional disappointment, personal rifts. 

“They all have dealt with self-doubt, shame and losing their own identity,†says Zwaan. 

These proud dancers became defined in the public eye for what they had done with Madonna. “It's one of the themes of this film – how do you get over this highlight? If you have this highlight when you're 20 or 21, or for Jose and Luis, I think they were 18 or 19. There comes a point where they think, do I have to do another interview about Madonna? It keeps on following you throughout your life. Of course, they're trying to move on,†Gould remarks.

No, Madonna hasn't seen the film yet. The film-makers have “reached out†to the singer, her lawyers and management but haven't yet had a response. Nonetheless, Zwaan believes she would be fascinated by what they've uncovered. “She is touring right now. She is doing the Rebel Heart tour and so she is all over the world and quite busy – and so I can imagine she didn't even have a chance to respond. But I do believe that she cares about these guys. They were with her at a very important part of her career and they were very close. I do think that once she sees the film, she might be touched by their stories… they were sort of a family.â€

Whatever the price they later had to pay, the dancers were Madonna's foot soldiers when the singer was at the very height of her power and popularity – and their contribution to the success of the Blond Ambition tour was immense. As Gould puts it, “they do realise that they made a markâ€.

'Strike a Pose' receives its world premiere at the Berlin Festival on 15 February 

Posted Image

Berlin Review: 'Strike a Pose' Revisits the Complicated World of Madonna

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/berlin-review-the-complicated-world-of-madonna-revisited-in-festival-doc-strike-a-pose-20160215

By Demetrios Matheou | Thompson on HollywoodFebruary 15, 2016

What happens to those collaborators left behind when the superstar and her spotlight have moved on?

Posted Image

Backing singers are rarely name-checked, let alone encouraged to let their own personalities shine alongside that of the star they’re supporting. So the fact that an extraordinarily gifted group of male dancers was front and centre of Madonna’s acclaimed and controversial Blond Ambition Tour of 1990, and the accompanying backstage documentary "Truth or Dare," was incredibly significant.

For the seven dancers — six gay, one straight — who were plucked from obscurity by Madonna herself, this was a life-changing experience. But it was also, inevitability, short-lived. Ester Gould and Reijer Zwaan’s very touching documentary "Strike a Pose" considers two things: the complicated, even messy reality behind that heady moment — backstage of the backstage, if you like — and what happens to those left behind when the superstar and her spotlight have moved on.

Twenty-five years after the tour, the directors have found six of the seven dancers (one has passed away) and given Luis Camacho, Oliver Crumes III, Salim Gauwloos, Jose Gutierez, Kevin Stea, and Carlton Wilborn the chance to reflect; moreover, the film offers them an opportunity that Madonna didn’t: to speak for themselves. 

Creatively, the singer couldn’t have been more generous in 1990. As Carlton recounts, her primary instruction was "Give me more of you." At the same time, the themes that the star chose to express through the tour, film and surrounding media circus — gay rights, freedom of expression and the fight against AIDS — came with a sting in the tail for those alongside her, who were less keen than their boss to push buttons, or to have their own sexuality brandished in the media.

"Strike a Pose"

On top of that, some of their number were living, secretly, with HIV. One clever sleight of hand by Gould and Zwann is to show Madonna’s on-stage speech about her late friend Keith Haring, who had recently died of AIDS, urging listeners to "face the truth together," then later in the film to return to the same clip, this time with Salim’s commentary, pointing out the evident discomfort on his face as he was standing next to her.

The film suggests that while Madonna may not have outed her dancers, their presence certainly fueled her agenda, whether they liked it or not. They were and remain role models of self-expression for many gay people, but this came with a price.

"Truth or Dare" was followed by lawsuits, for different reasons, and a gradual distancing between Madonna and her dancers, and between the dancers themselves. Life for them after such heady fame has had its share of difficulties and disappointments. 

Neither these engaging men (now in their forties) nor the filmmakers themselves seem overly interested in pointing fingers. In many respects, "Strike a Pose" is a celebration of a brilliantly creative and formative period, for all concerned. It seems undisputed, too, that during the tour a genuine, quasi-family bond developed, with Madonna — who had barely turned 30 herself at the time — becoming a mother figure to her handsome boys. Was she striking a pose? We can only ask her.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Strike a Pose - Official trailer

In 1990, seven young male dancers - 6 gay, 1 straight - joined Madonna on her most controversial tour. On stage and in the iconic film Truth or Dare they showed the world how to express yourself. Now, 25 years later, they reveal the truth about life during and after the tour. Strike a Pose is a dramatic tale about overcoming shame and finding the courage to be who you are.

In bed—okay, at a conference table—with the cast & creatives of Strike a PoseSalim Gauwloos "Slam" Ester Gould Reijer Zwaan Luis Xtravaganza Camacho Carlton Wilborn Kevin Stea & Oliver S Crumes III!

FULL INTERVIEW HERE: http://bit.ly/1WB3BSU

Posted Image

Madonna doesn't want to pay for people to archive her career. Madonna HATES looking back and truly doesn't give a shit. For whatever reason this is a hard concept for fans to grasp. 

She doesn't have to. Why do you want Madonna to be like Beyoncé who needs to PAY for archivists to make her iconic?? Madonna is already iconic based on her work alone, she will live forever. Why do you want special box sets, why do you want special lifetime achievement awards, why do you want her to be a hasbeen?

good for them

I know that this is very minority opinion but to be honest BAT dancers are the least favorite dancers to me.

I mean I love BAT so much but these dancers are just... I just can't stand them.

lol that's pathetic, which dancers do you prefer?? Confessions tour?? Cloud Campos?? Give me a break, those Blond Ambition men are legends.

lol that's pathetic, which dancers do you prefer?? Confessions tour?? Cloud Campos?? Give me a break, those Blond Ambition men are legends.

LEGENDS? LMAO.

I mean certainly BAT era is Legendary moment of POP history and that era's Madonna is the Iconic legend for sure.

But those dancers? They are simply not a legends. period. 

I only like Carlton from that BAT dancers. He is talented and humble enough. So I like him.

But the others are... They are just bunch of delusional bitter drama queens. (and Madonna's one time "lucky" bitches.)

And I think that Madonna has same thought about them for sure because Only Carlton had got a chance to work with Madonna again. (The Girlie show)

LEGENDS? LMAO.

I mean certainly BAT era is Legendary moment of POP history and that era's Madonna is the Iconic legend for sure.

But those dancers? They are simply not a legends. period. 

I only like Carlton from that BAT dancers. He is talented and humble enough. So I like him.

But the others are... They are just bunch of delusional bitter drama queens. (and Madonna's one time "lucky" bitches.)

And I think that Madonna has same thought about them for sure because Only Carlton had got a chance to work with Madonna again. (The Girlie show)

They ARE dance legends, hence why there is now a film about them. Go sit in the corner and wait to hear from cloud campos, thank you.

They ARE dance legends, hence why there is now a film about them. Go sit in the corner and wait to hear from cloud campos, thank you.

Dance Legends?

They make A cheap documentary about being Madonna's backup dancers about 25 years ago.

That's what all they got.

But you keep calling them as Dance Legends. haha.

Oh yeah, Dogs and Cows are legends too. Because it seem like everything is legends in nowadays. ;)

And it's really funny to see that you keep bring that "cloud campos."

Go sit in the corner and wait to hear from cloud campos, thank you.

So you make a delusional decision all by yourself that I'm the fan of cloud whatever no one care thing? LMAO

"I was the Madonna's backup dancers at 25 years ago and that's all I got in my life" backup dancers and their delusional and desperate A one fan.

Deserve each other. :clapp: