How to present Madonna to a friend?

artofdarkness

55 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Exactly... greatest hits... not singles that weren't really hits

Yes!  Madonna didn't want to release any typical GH's set. She had many of her "greatest hits" mixed in a way that was still pretty true to what people loved about the song, but added production and technology of the time.  It will always be known as her best Greatest Hits, even though Celebration is more definitive of her career.  But so was IC at the time, it was released. It was definitive of most her well known hits at the time. :)

I don't wanna sound rude but I can't believe this is even a question. Not even us fans should have been exposed to Madame X. If those are your two options, go with CT.

And I resent comments saying BAT aged badly, that's an argument for dumb people who don't know how to appreciate and interpret art within a certain context in time.

Having said that, a full concert is never something I would show someone who's just curious. Truth or Dare has the perfect mix of the performer and the icon, palatable pace and storyline, so I'd go with that. If they like what they see, then go for the full length stuff.

4 minutes ago, missberic said:

I don't wanna sound rude but I can't believe this is even a question. Not even us fans should have been exposed to Madame X. If those are your two options, go with CT.

And I resent comments saying BAT aged badly, that's an argument for dumb people who don't know how to appreciate and interpret art within a certain context in time.

Having said that, a full concert is never something I would show someone who's just curious. Truth or Dare has the perfect mix of the performer and the icon, palatable pace and storyline, so I'd go with that. If they like what they see, then go for the full length stuff.

standing ovation oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

On 7/31/2023 at 5:17 PM, androiduser said:

go for what most people respond to - the 80's and 90's classics... no fan favorites, no album tracks, just the biggest hits... take into consideration that most people will not understand the significance of her 90's tours because they got used to the new technology and new achievements in set design, this is the next step for someone who already appreciates Madonna. DON'T think like a fan.

I'm going through something similar because I'm taking my bf to see his first Madonna show, and he doesn't know almost anything about her. No matter how many times I explain the significance and the innovation in her work, people are just used to what came after her that they just don't get it that easily.

Leave her work post 1992 out of it for now. Whether the fans wont to admit it or not, most of M's well-known hits came in the 80's and early 90's. Immaculate Collection is what it is for a reason.

It is perfection, but I would argue that some of the non-singles are what should be played for newbies.  They probably already know all the stuff from IC, so why not play them a mix of non singles/later, lesser known songs?  Where's the Party White Heat, Ghost town, Physical Attraction, Impressive Instant, To Have and Not to Hold, Spanish Eyes, Words, I'm Addicted, stuff like that.