12 Albums Made Popular by Music Videos: Like a Prayer

PlayPause

Like A Prayer (1989)

Madonna described her fourth studio album, Like A Prayer, as a confessional record with lyrical content that centered around her early life and family. The album — written and produced with musicians Stephen Bray, Patrick Leonard, and Prince — incorporated rock, R&B, funk, and gospel styles into Madonna’s typical pop production. Throughout the ’80s, Madonna’s music video output helped cement her status as a bonafide pop star. When the video for Like A Prayer’s title track was released, it was immediately deemed controversial for its use of religious imagery and depictions of cross burning. “Like A Prayer” became the subject of protests, boycotts, and even lost the singer a Pepsi sponsorship. Regardless of the public outrage, it marked a turning point in Madonna’s career where critics began to consider her a serious artist.

https://www.discogs.com/digs/music/best-music-videos

32 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Regardless of the public outrage, it marked a turning point in Madonna’s career where critics began to consider her a serious artist.

I'm not agree. The critics began to consider her a serious artist with True Blue album. With Like A Prayer the critics began to consider her an adult artist.

42 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I'm not agree. The critics began to consider her a serious artist with True Blue album. With Like A Prayer the critics began to consider her an adult artist.

I think there is truth to both.  I think mostly I remember hearing the critics refer to True Blue as "more mature" compared to her previous two albums.  When Like A Prayer came, she was referred more as someone that wanted to be taken more serious.  Much more grown up, and yes more "adult" oriented.  :)

I remember that in Italy critics started to consider her as serious recording artist in the 90's ("I'm Breathless", Bedtime Stories, Something to remember...with the obvious exception of Erotica:tongue:, even if the Girlie Show was the first tour to receive truly positive reviews but unfortunately it did not reach the country )...