MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

31 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

I think a series has a better chance to succeed than a film. Biopic films are so overdone. A series can really delve into different aspects of her life, the different characters etc. It can also mean that she can continue it further into the 90’s and 2000’s if it becomes a huge hit. And the audience will have a longterm investment. A film will just come and go like the Elvis one did, quickly forgotten and with aspects of her life glossed over.

Imagine it:

Series 1: Childhood to 1984

Series 2: 1985 to 1989

Series 3: 1990 to 1997

Series 4: 1998 to 2012

So you want 4 seasons. 40 episodes most likely an hour each...you think casuals would sit through 40 hours of Madonna over a 2 hr biopic? Imagine the filler! Even if it's a 10 episode mini series it would take ALOT of magic to make a madonna centric series work and a film definitely has much more of a long term value over a series since you don't have to sit and binge. 

6 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Yeah if the MJ one tanks this is DOA. The Amy Winehouse one looks awful too. We already have that lovely doc about her life.

I watched the Whitney one w/my husb who isn’t really familiar w/her life bc he didn’t grow up in the west. I was 🙄 half the time and would just sing and dance along w/the music.

Not saying she’d follow this but the formula of naming some key performance in the movie then having the actor recreate it is so corny. I guessss w/BR it was appealing to some people bc he really went all out w/it, but the Whitney one was pointless. She’s just standing there covered in fake sweat lipsynching to the audio. Why not just show the actual performance?

I guess M was sort of ahead of this trend w/that awful TV movie beginning and ending w/the VMA Like A Virgin performance. 🙃

The only decent music biopic I can think of offhand is the Tina Turner one (though I haven’t seen it in decades), but that was as much about her abusive relationship as about her career.

It's because it has to look like a legit film and not a lifetime movie. They already made a lifetime whitney movie and that's exactly what the new one looked like. I mentioned it before but I definitely think a more indie looking film would be taken seriously. The Amy Winehouse film also looks very lifetime. Priscilla + The Runaways would be the perfect inspiration IMO.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

The Amy Winehouse film also looks very lifetime. 

Yeah, but box office tracking is horrible and reviews are abysmal 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/back_to_black

Not even Whitney movie did well, so this idea of Madonna biopic is kind of waste of time, in my humble opinion. Basically only movie that did well in box office as well as with critics was Bohemian Rhapsody, and that's it.. And even that was 6 years ago. There is literally no chance Madonna movie going to be hit (and if she is directing - even if I love W.E. - critics gonna rage). 

I hope she will change her mind and rather focus on new music. After Celebration tour, when general public is praising her again, there hasn't been a better time for her in the last 15 years to release a new music. 

11 minutes ago, maddy1111 said:

Yeah, but box office tracking is horrible and reviews are abysmal 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/back_to_black

Not even Whitney movie did well, so this idea of Madonna biopic is kind of waste of time, in my humble opinion. Basically only movie that did well in box office as well as with critics was Bohemian Rhapsody, and that's it.. And even that was 6 years ago. There is literally no chance Madonna movie going to be hit (and if she is directing - even if I love W.E. - critics gonna rage). 

I hope she will change her mind and rather focus on new music. After Celebration tour, when general public is praising her again, there hasn't been a better time for her in the last 15 years to release a new music. 

You misread. I was saying the Amy movie looks like a lifetime movie as did the whitney and if re-read what i actually said you'll see that they had actually already made a lifetime movie of Whitney. Plus it's very different with those two since they were two drug addicts that left no secrets. We all knew Whitney was lez and we all knew Amy was strung out. The allure of mystery just wasnt there and add to that the sympathetic tones the trailers alone showed were enough to turn ME off so even though its anecdotal I'm sure I'm not the only one. And you're absolutely right, a Madonna film won't get the proper chance it deserves because look at the fans who are already condemning it but so will new music. Will her new album be a hit? Probably not but does that mean she shouldn't make new music? If her heart is in the biopic then she needs to go with that. Critics and necia fans be damned. 

21 minutes ago, Alpha said:

You misread. I was saying the Amy movie looks like a lifetime movie as did the whitney and if re-read what i actually said you'll see that they had actually already made a lifetime movie of Whitney. Plus it's very different with those two since they were two drug addicts that left no secrets. We all knew Whitney was lez and we all knew Amy was strung out. The allure of mystery just wasnt there and add to that the sympathetic tones the trailers alone showed were enough to turn ME off so even though its anecdotal I'm sure I'm not the only one. And you're absolutely right, a Madonna film won't get the proper chance it deserves because look at the fans who are already condemning it but so will new music. Will her new album be a hit? Probably not but does that mean she shouldn't make new music? If her heart is in the biopic then she needs to go with that. Critics and necia fans be damned. 

Yeah, but there is no point making a biopic movie when Madonna is still here with us and being basically pretty active singer. 

We don't really see movies about living popstars (unless it is documentary). There is no Kylie Minogue /Janet Jackson life story movie or similar. Those movies are made long after the star is either no longer active or let's be honest dead. See Michael Jackson (coming next year), Bohemian Rhapsody, Whitney movie, Amy movie. Basically only Elton did his movie while being still sort of active but it only did okay, not really great.

There is literally no point to make a biopic movie at this moment of her life, neither is there any demand by anyone, fans or general public. She is not yet a legacy artist. 

I am not saying her new album will do great, but at least she will do something that is requested at the moment, instead of wasting her energy and multiple years on something (movie) that will totally flop and it might be even laughed at. 

24 minutes ago, maddy1111 said:

Yeah, but there is no point making a biopic movie when Madonna is still here with us and being basically pretty active singer. 

We don't really see movies about living popstars (unless it is documentary). There is no Kylie Minogue /Janet Jackson life story movie or similar. Those movies are made long after the star is either no longer active or let's be honest dead. See Michael Jackson (coming next year), Bohemian Rhapsody, Whitney movie, Amy movie. Basically only Elton did his movie while being still sort of active but it only did okay, not really great.

There is literally no point to make a biopic movie at this moment of her life, neither is there any demand by anyone, fans or general public. She is not yet a legacy artist. 

I am not saying her new album will do great, but at least she will do something that is requested at the moment, instead of wasting her energy and multiple years on something (movie) that will totally flop and it might be even laughed at. 

So you want her dead is what you are saying. Lol jk

No sorry, think that's stupid and I guess makes the "visual autobiography" term easier to understand i guess for plebs who think "why is there a movie about them if they're not dead yet?" 

PS the last time a Madonna album hasnt been laughed at was...uh...Ray of Light? Music? You should know there's always haters. Who cares what they think. Art and story telling is NEVER pointless if there's heart in it.

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Of course things can change but DrownedMadonna said awhile back the film wasnt shelved (mightve been pre-sickness) and now this....so I'm sure it's still going to happen. Of course she could be over it but I'm hoping she isnt.

Screenshot_20240512_231202_Chrome.jpg

I'm sure this is untrue.  And I don't put too much stock in those who state something as a fact, only to come back moments later and say "don't come after me if it's not true".  Either he knows the facts or he doesn't.  He doesn't. He's just speculating and in his last line in the second repl, he pretty much admits to that.

Like you said, she's gonna vacation for awhile, and then I'm sure will get back to work later in the year.  :luv:

46 minutes ago, Donna said:

I'm sure this is untrue.  And I don't put too much stock in those who state something as a fact, only to come back moments later and say "don't come after me if it's not true".  Either he knows the facts or he doesn't.  He doesn't. He's just speculating and in his last line in the second repl, he pretty much admits to that.

Like you said, she's gonna vacation for awhile, and then I'm sure will get back to work later in the year.  :luv:

I don't think its untrue and wishing for the best! I'm thinking 2024 is going to be a legit insane (in a good way) year for us fans. Queen better take a good tropical siesta! 

Btw just to put extra salsa on the taco...do u remember in the mid 00s when it was reported stuart was doing 5.1 remasters for all her albums? 

Just now, Alpha said:

I don't think its untrue and wishing for the best! I'm thinking 2024 is going to be a legit insane (in a good way) year for us fans. Queen better take a good tropical siesta! 

Btw just to put extra salsa on the taco...do u remember in the mid 00s when it was reported stuart was doing 5.1 remasters for all her albums? 

I don't believe she will be going back to the Biopic this year.  But yeah, I'm definitely wishing the best.  I just don't see her putting out anything NEW this year, other than releasing the film version of her tour and possibly some re-issues.  She deserves a break. I rather she take it easy for the rest of the year and then hit us strong in the new year with new material.  :party:

1 minute ago, Donna said:

I don't believe she will be going back to the Biopic this year.  But yeah, I'm definitely wishing the best.  I just don't see her putting out anything NEW this year, other than releasing the film version of her tour and possibly some re-issues.  She deserves a break. I rather she take it easy for the rest of the year and then hit us strong in the new year with new material.  :party:

Who knows...I'm sure the death scare is still something that lingers in her head

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Who knows...I'm sure the death scare is still something that lingers in her head

It would me!  It definitely would put things in perspective. At the same time, I do feel based on what she's talked about on tour, she isn't ready to retire or hang anything up.  If anything, I feel she's more motivated to create.  I think we may have some great years coming from her soon. :party:

Just now, Donna said:

It would me!  It definitely would put things in perspective. At the same time, I do feel based on what she's talked about on tour, she isn't ready to retire or hang anything up.  If anything, I feel she's more motivated to create.  I think we may have some great years coming from her soon. :party:

I know when i almost died it felt like no, i still have stuff to do! And that's cuz i live a simple life and not running a legendary pop career!

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I know when i almost died it felt like no, i still have stuff to do! And that's cuz i live a simple life and not running a legendary pop career!

Yep! Things are put in perspective.  This is why I just focus on what I enjoy as I get older.  I may not control all that comes my way, but I certainly can control how I react to it. It just doesn't seem productive for me to focus on things I don't like or want to do or hear.  It's a waste of time. Appreciate the things you enjoy and only hope for the best.  Life is too short! :luv:

Just now, Donna said:

Yep! Things are put in perspective.  This is why I just focus on what I enjoy as I get older.  I may not control all that comes my way, but I certainly can control how I react to it. It just doesn't seem productive for me to focus on things I don't like or want to do or hear.  It's a waste of time. Appreciate the things you enjoy and only hope for the best.  Life is too short! :luv:

Actually it made bitchier lol like i aint got no time for sum bullshit! I'm sure everyone in my life is so tired of me at this point 😅😅😅

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Actually it made bitchier lol like i aint got no time for sum bullshit! I'm sure everyone in my life is so tired of me at this point 😅😅😅

Ha!  Well, there's a time and place I am sure.  It certainly doesn't mean you should let people steam roll over you and tear you down. But I know more and more I pick and choose my battles. Life can be so stressful as it is, so anytime I can let things roll off my shoulder, the better. :)

11 hours ago, MikeyK said:

Yeah if the MJ one tanks this is DOA. The Amy Winehouse one looks awful too. We already have that lovely doc about her life.

I watched the Whitney one w/my husb who isn’t really familiar w/her life bc he didn’t grow up in the west. I was 🙄 half the time and would just sing and dance along w/the music.

Not saying she’d follow this but the formula of naming some key performance in the movie then having the actor recreate it is so corny. I guessss w/BR it was appealing to some people bc he really went all out w/it, but the Whitney one was pointless. She’s just standing there covered in fake sweat lipsynching to the audio. Why not just show the actual performance?

I guess M was sort of ahead of this trend w/that awful TV movie beginning and ending w/the VMA Like A Virgin performance. 🙃

The only decent music biopic I can think of offhand is the Tina Turner one (though I haven’t seen it in decades), but that was as much about her abusive relationship as about her career.

Imagine recreations of Madonna’s iconic videos and performances. I feel like vomiting thinking about it.

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

So you want 4 seasons. 40 episodes most likely an hour each...you think casuals would sit through 40 hours of Madonna over a 2 hr biopic? Imagine the filler! Even if it's a 10 episode mini series it would take ALOT of magic to make a madonna centric series work and a film definitely has much more of a long term value over a series since you don't have to sit and binge. 

It's because it has to look like a legit film and not a lifetime movie. They already made a lifetime whitney movie and that's exactly what the new one looked like. I mentioned it before but I definitely think a more indie looking film would be taken seriously. The Amy Winehouse film also looks very lifetime. Priscilla + The Runaways would be the perfect inspiration IMO.

Well of course it depends on WHAT it is like. If the film is actually good, then sure. But how are they going to cram Madonna’s life into one film?

A film will only have a long life if it’s amazing. If it’s just another biopic nobody is going to care. I am a fan of Whitney and did not even see that shitty biopic.

The Elvis one was ok but what stuck in my mind most was how hot Austin Butler is. And how he looks nothing like Elvis. Not exactly the selling point you want to keep the legacy of Elvis alive.

The reason the Queen and Elton ones worked is because the actors looked like them. I think people underestimate how important that is. It shouldn’t matter but it does.

Julia Garner has no sex appeal whatsoever and looks nothing like Madonna. I have no idea how she could possibly play her.

49 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Well of course it depends on WHAT it is like. If the film is actually good, then sure. But how are they going to cram Madonna’s life into one film?

A film will only have a long life if it’s amazing. If it’s just another biopic nobody is going to care. I am a fan of Whitney and did not even see that shitty biopic.

The Elvis one was ok but what stuck in my mind most was how hot Austin Butler is. And how he looks nothing like Elvis. Not exactly the selling point you want to keep the legacy of Elvis alive.

The reason the Queen and Elton ones worked is because the actors looked like them. I think people underestimate how important that is. It shouldn’t matter but it does.

Julia Garner has no sex appeal whatsoever and looks nothing like Madonna. I have no idea how she could possibly play her.

Oh gawd lol

3 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

What?

The comment about Julia's sex appeal is gross. I'm sure alot of people find her sexy and find madonna disgusting, that's one thing. Another is I'm sure the film isnt about Madonna's sex appeal and about madonna as a PERSON and her LIFE. Third of all, i think society is trying to move on from casting actresses based on if people wanna fuck them or not. That's really a bad argument and not to mention Julia has the acting chops to be beyond that.

20 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The comment about Julia's sex appeal is gross. I'm sure alot of people find her sexy and find madonna disgusting, that's one thing. Another is I'm sure the film isnt about Madonna's sex appeal and about madonna as a PERSON and her LIFE. Third of all, i think society is trying to move on from casting actresses based on if people wanna fuck them or not. That's really a bad argument and not to mention Julia has the acting chops to be beyond that.

Okay well let me rephrase. She doesn’t have Madonna’s sex appeal. She’s not like Madonna. Madonna was a sex symbol. She was flirtatious and sexy and that’s a major component of her personality, as she has repeatedly said herself and as has every second man that met her. Gross as you may find that, that’s the story being told as it happened in the eyes of every onlooker. Or based on current ideals do we have to pretend that wasn’t the case? It has nothing to do with people wanting to fuck her, it is about portraying real life. Would you accept Lady Gaga playing Marilyn Monroe?

Yes Julia is a great actress and yes she is beautiful but there’s nothing Madonna about her allure. It is called casting and there’s nothing bad about it. It is the same reason they cast Austin Butler as Elvis, because he had that sexiness about him that women go nuts for. Or perhaps Michael Cera could have played him instead?

2 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Okay well let me rephrase. She doesn’t have Madonna’s sex appeal. She’s not like Madonna. Madonna was a sex symbol. She was flirtatious and sexy and that’s a major component of her personality, as she has repeatedly said herself and as has every second man that met her. Gross as you may find that, that’s the story being told as it happened in the eyes of every onlooker. Or based on current ideals do we have to pretend that wasn’t the case? Yes she’s a great actress and yes she is beautiful but there’s nothing Madonna about her allure. It is called casting and there’s nothing bad about what I said. It is the same reason they cast Austin Butler as Elvis, because he had that sexiness about him that women go nuts for.

There IS something wrong about what you said or else you wouldn't have had to "rephrase". And while i disagree about Austin not looking like Elvis, the other point you're making is is that he (Austin) is sexy yet took you out of it because you kept focusing on how he was "hot". Ultimately it comes down to acting and I can assure you, people who go see this movie are not going to go because they want sex. Madonna herself I'm sure does not want to make her life story a story about "sex appeal" but about show how sexism is something she had to fight. Now if you think Julia can't portray that because she isnt sexy enough thats a whole other yuck. Also we don't even know if Julia is even sticking to this role because of the Marvel movie. I personally hope she does because she wowed me in Inventing Anna and made me into a believer.

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

There IS something wrong about what you said or else you wouldn't have had to "rephrase". And while i disagree about Austin not looking like Elvis, the other point you're making is is that he (Austin) is sexy yet took you out of it because you kept focusing on how he was "hot". Ultimately it comes down to acting and I can assure you, people who go see this movie are not going to go because they want sex. Madonna herself I'm sure does not want to make her life story a story about "sex appeal" but about show how sexism is something she had to fight. Now if you think Julia can't portray that because she isnt sexy enough thats a whole other yuck. Also we don't even know if Julia is even sticking to this role because of the Marvel movie. I personally hope she does because she wowed me in Inventing Anna and made me into a believer.

The only reason I rephrased what I said is because you twisted it around and so I needed to clarify, for you. It is not about titillating people, it is about portraying Madonna realistically. The character needs to be sexy, that is part of the reason she faced so much sexism in the first instance. If she was a wallflower men would have viewed her differently and treated her differently. And sorry if that bothers you but that’s the story as it happened.

If Madonna wants to tell a different version through her own lens, fine. But I think the audience expects some elements of what they witnessed in real time. This is the same woman who made statements like “sex makes the world go round” afterall.

3 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

The only reason I rephrased what I said is because you twisted it around and so I needed to clarify, for you. It is not about titillating people, it is about portraying Madonna realistically. The character needs to be sexy, that is part of the reason she faced so much sexism in the first instance. If she was a wallflower men would have viewed her differently and treated her differently. And sorry if that bothers you but that’s the story as it happened.

If Madonna wants to tell a different version through her own lens, fine. But I think the audience expects some elements of what they witnessed in real time. This is the same woman who made statements like “sex makes the world go round” afterall.

I didn't twist anything. Julia also isnt a singing dancing pop star yet that doesn't seem to be an issue. Also, it's called ACTING. of course madonna's career has had sexual themes but it's a movie and actors play parts. As for that quote, does Julia also have to study catholicism and be catholic since she also has religious themes? Foot in mouth for sure. 

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I didn't twist anything. Julia also isnt a singing dancing pop star yet that doesn't seem to be an issue. Also, it's called ACTING. of course madonna's career has had sexual themes but it's a movie and actors play parts. As for that quote, does Julia also have to study catholicism and be catholic since she also has religious themes? Foot in mouth for sure. 

Yes she will probably need to study Catholicism for the role. That’s what actors do, they research their character. I’m not saying she can’t pull it off, I’m saying right now I cannot visualise her carrying certain facets of Madonna. Remembering that Madonna’s career is VERY visual and also has many different visual elements that need to be believable. There is no need to try and assassinate my character because you don’t agree with my view. If the film even eventuates and Julia plays the role I will watch with an open mind. I think she’s a great actress so for that reason I can understand why Madonna has her attached to the project.

6 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Yes she will probably need to study Catholicism for the role. That’s what actors do, they research their character. I’m not saying she can’t pull it off, I’m saying right now I cannot visualise her carrying certain facets of Madonna. Remembering that Madonna’s career is VERY visual and also has many different visual elements that need to be believable. There is no need to try and assassinate my character because you don’t agree with my view. If the film even eventuates and Julia plays the role I will watch with an open mind. I think she’s a great actress so for that reason I can understand why Madonna has her attached to the project.

It's going completely over your head or maybe it isn't and you're just acting like it is.