The Whore of Babylon Tour

A few years ago I read on Madonna Online that the Re-Invention Tour was originally meant to be called The Whore of Babylon Tour. Are there any real allegations/receipts that this was the original plan? If so, why M changed the title? I can only imagine religious groups goin' nuts with that title, especially with the opening being The Beast Within (which I love, the woman did ART by simply reading some verses from the apocalypse book).

I'm the alpha and omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.

Behold... I am coming soon.

1 hour ago, Lucas B. said:

A few years ago I read on Madonna Online that the Re-Invention Tour was originally meant to be called The Whore of Babylon Tour. Are there any real allegations/receipts that this was the original plan? If so, why M changed the title? I can only imagine religious groups goin' nuts with that title, especially with the opening being The Beast Within (which I love, the woman did ART by simply reading some verses from the apocalypse book).

I'm the alpha and omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.

Behold... I am coming soon.

Just a rumor. She was asked in Attitude magazine 2005 and she just brushed it off saying too obvious. Other rumored titles were Ground Zero World Tour and Nobody Knows Me World Tour.

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Just a rumor. She was asked in Attitude magazine 2005 and she just brushed it off saying too obvious. Other rumored titles were Ground Zero World Tour and Nobody Knows Me World Tour.

Yes this.  The media and fans grabbed on to that name and tried to narrate that it was indeed the name of the tour, when she herself said it wasn't.  :)

56 minutes ago, mr00mister said:

Nobody Knows Me Tour would have been interesting tho

do you imagine of the show had had more tracks from American Life instead of technically being a greatest hits thing?

Well Love Profusion and I'm So Stupid were originally part of the setlist with I'm So Stupid being shown in I'm Going to Tell You a Secret. 

1 hour ago, mr00mister said:

Nobody Knows Me Tour would have been interesting tho

do you imagine of the show had had more tracks from American Life instead of technically being a greatest hits thing?

It would have been a dream wirh more American Life songs, I'm so stupid, Love profusion, Easy ride, X-static process :heart:

Yeah Love Profusion, I love that song so much, it's one of the best from AL.

At this point, after NRM, BG, BS and Rain being performed in a tour recently, Love Profusion, The Power of goodbye and Rescue me are the only singles I'm dieing her to include in a show :broken: with a new turn for Secret and Papa don't preach if possible 

Reinvention Tour, as a title, was genius.

American Life was way too stigmatised, so she needed a tour name that didn't reference the album.

She was famously referred to as 'the queen of reinvention', so this was a savvy way to capitalise on that moniker.

The general public didn't know the song Nobody Knows Me, so it would've been less meaningful to them.

3 hours ago, Starchild said:

Reinvention Tour, as a title, was genius.

American Life was way too stigmatised, so she needed a tour name that didn't reference the album.

She was famously referred to as 'the queen of reinvention', so this was a savvy way to capitalise on that moniker.

The general public didn't know the song Nobody Knows Me, so it would've been less meaningful to them.

Yes at that particular moment all her worries were about going on being the queen of pop and being super popular again, she didn´t care for being super innovative or controversial or in your face,  which would have been a Nobody knows me tour moment, which clearly never happened.

I love the title The Whore of Babylon but not for that particular damage control moment in time. I remember at the time thinking "Oh my..." lol

GHV2 over "The Second Coming" was a choice though. Although a cd full of radio edits and no new songs probably didn't need a groundbreaking title.

I think that whole "The Whore Of Babylon" tour name rumor may have stemmed from the idea to have the tour be loosely based on the prophecy told the Book of Revelation (as recited in The Beast Within).

The apocalypse and the arrival of The Whore of Babylon, according to the people would be preceded by the arrival of the Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse:

Pestilence

War

Famine

Death

The story essentially predicts the fall of an (The Roman) empire. How conquest and the resulting opulence leads to war, poverty/inflation/famine and ultimately death. If you look at the Re-Invention Tour sections, this concept still lingers in there.

Pestilence (Opulence/Conquest): The whole Marie Antoinette segment symbolizes the fall of the French aristocracy. Marie was beheaded by the French people.

War: This section is very on the nose

Death: The theme of death and re-incarnation has been integrated into this section. This is where the chronology falls apart a bit but originally, Die Another Day was the final song on the setlist.

Famine (Poverty/Inflation): This section has a bit of a post-war, rural vibe which sort works with the concept of famine as well.

I've actually come up with a re-arranged setlist a while ago that incorporates this concept, and adds back more American Life songs:

The Beat Within - Introduction

ACT I: CONQUEST (Baroque)

1. Vogue
2. Hollywood (Jacques Lu Cont Thin White Duke Mix)
3. Dress You Up (contains elements of "God Bless the Queen") // Burning Up
4. I'm So Stupid

ACT II: WAR

5. Intro / American Life (contains elements of the "Headcleanr Rock Mix")
6. Swim
7. Intervention
8. Papa Don't Preach
9. Crazy For You

Easy Ride - Interlude

ACT III: FAMINE

10. Like A Prayer
11. Nothing Fails
12. Mother And Father
13. Love Profusion

ACT IV: DEATH

Material Girl - Interlude

14. Music
15. Back In Business // Express Yourself
16. Deeper And Deeper
17. Die Another Day
18. Medley: Take A Bow / Lament

ENCORE: RE-INCARNATION

Bedtime Story (Orbital Remix) - Interlude

19. Nobody Knows Me (contains excerpts of "Die Another Day")
20. Into The Groove
21. Holiday (contains elements of "Everybody", "Music" & "She Wants To Move")

/ = Medley
// = Alternate song choice

On 5/17/2024 at 11:08 AM, MaDöner Kebab said:

I think that whole "The Whore Of Babylon" tour name rumor may have stemmed from the idea to have the tour be loosely based on the prophecy told the Book of Revelation (as recited in The Beast Within).

The apocalypse and the arrival of The Whore of Babylon, according to the people would be preceded by the arrival of the Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse:

Pestilence

War

Famine

Death

The story essentially predicts the fall of an (The Roman) empire. How conquest and the resulting opulence leads to war, poverty/inflation/famine and ultimately death. If you look at the Re-Invention Tour sections, this concept still lingers in there.

Pestilence (Opulence/Conquest): The whole Marie Antoinette segment symbolizes the fall of the French aristocracy. Marie was beheaded by the French people.

War: This section is very on the nose

Death: The theme of death and re-incarnation has been integrated into this section. This is where the chronology falls apart a bit but originally, Die Another Day was the final song on the setlist.

Famine (Poverty/Inflation): This section has a bit of a post-war, rural vibe which sort works with the concept of famine as well.

I've actually come up with a re-arranged setlist a while ago that incorporates this concept, and adds back more American Life songs:

The Beat Within - Introduction

ACT I: CONQUEST (Baroque)

1. Vogue
2. Hollywood (Jacques Lu Cont Thin White Duke Mix)
3. Dress You Up (contains elements of "God Bless the Queen") // Burning Up
4. I'm So Stupid

ACT II: WAR

5. Intro / American Life (contains elements of the "Headcleanr Rock Mix")
6. Swim
7. Intervention
8. Papa Don't Preach
9. Crazy For You

Easy Ride - Interlude

ACT III: FAMINE

10. Like A Prayer
11. Nothing Fails
12. Mother And Father
13. Love Profusion

ACT IV: DEATH

Material Girl - Interlude

14. Music
15. Back In Business // Express Yourself
16. Deeper And Deeper
17. Die Another Day
18. Medley: Take A Bow / Lament

ENCORE: RE-INCARNATION

Bedtime Story (Orbital Remix) - Interlude

19. Nobody Knows Me (contains excerpts of "Die Another Day")
20. Into The Groove
21. Holiday (contains elements of "Everybody", "Music" & "She Wants To Move")

/ = Medley
// = Alternate song choice

I would like to see a death metal version of Back In Business.