The Mistreatment of Madonna’s Legacy

RinoTheBouncer

16 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

yes and TGS was the same thing.  Arena's in the US, stadiums outside the US.  TGS made way more money than BAT with fewer dates and at the time has the highest per show gross of any female tour in history

People forget that.  She was also expected to continue the tour in early 1994 with more US dates but Madonna opted not to because she wanted to record another album and concentrate on film roles, this would lead to her eventual fall out with manager Freddy DeMann who wanted her to continue her hugely successful GS tour in 1994

Right. Small venues in the USA, large stadiums in the rest of the world. 

Both tours made almost the same amount of money overall:

Blond Ambition made US$62.7 million ($122.7 million in 2019 dollars) - 57 shows

The Girlie Show made US$70 million ($123.89 million in 2019 dollars) - 39 shows

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RinoTheBouncer

One of the things that really bother me about Madonna and her management is their disrespect towards Madonna’s legacy. So much of Madonna’s past work is abandoned. There’s no cohesive effort to constantly emphasize on her as an artist and her name, and that is probably one of the reasons why she might be less popular now than she used to be and not as often mentioned as Michael Jackson for example, because for an artist that has literally created the blueprint for touring, theatrical music video

dylanlioncourt

No lies were spilled. Treating her catalog and hard work with the respect it deserves doesn't mean she's over and a legacy act. It's because most of her videos look like rips from the Immaculate Collection VHS and Video Collection: 93-99. It's about promoting and exposing your work to new generations and fans that will not track down those rare singles or even bother trying to collect them. Streaming seems to be the future so why would you be against Madonna having her remixes, remix albums, EP'

Raio_05

I'm sorry but sometimes I feel like I'm living in a different reality than some of her fans.  Everywhere I go, every time I watch something, every time I meet someone, Madonna is there. Just yesterday I counted 5 Madonna references in shows I've watched in the past week alone. My non-fan friends send me things they see of her all the time, like a t-shirt at a store or whatever.  The woman had a #1 album in several countries just 18 months ago, followed by a sold-out tour of very expens

19 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

People forget that.  She was also expected to continue the tour in early 1994 with more US dates but Madonna opted not to because she wanted to record another album and concentrate on film roles, this would lead to her eventual fall out with manager Freddy DeMann who wanted her to continue her hugely successful GS tour in 1994

:eyes: I didn't know that her and Freddy had a falling out (just thought he retired or something) or that the tour was meant to go into the next year. Now I'm thinking of a bunch of questions (that no one actually has to answer):

- Do you think she would've changed up the setlist?

- Would that mean no I'll Remember? 

- Would that also mean no Letterman appearance (despite how cringe she is there, it's still iconic)?

- Without the Letterman appearance to drag down the public's perception of her, would she have still tried to soften her image? 

On 2/11/2021 at 5:50 PM, Mp1992 said:

yes and TGS was the same thing.  Arena's in the US, stadiums outside the US.  TGS made way more money than BAT with fewer dates and at the time has the highest per show gross of any female tour in history

That is more so because Girlie Show had higher ticket prices that were tiered. BAT had one basic price, because that was what the market allowed for. She was losing money on BAT which is most likely why we got three tv broadcasts. She made much back in Japan where she could charge higher as well

11 hours ago, captainjay said:

Right. Small venues in the USA, large stadiums in the rest of the world. 

Both tours made almost the same amount of money overall:

Blond Ambition made US$62.7 million ($122.7 million in 2019 dollars) - 57 shows

The Girlie Show made US$70 million ($123.89 million in 2019 dollars) - 39 shows

Actually these numbers look to be from Wiki and are a guestimate and not from any official source. They have no revenue numbers from anywhere but the US and the total gross for TGS was never actually reported anywhere that I have found, Wiki also has no source for the 70M gross either. In Australia she had $200 Gold Circle tickets and the cheapest was $80. She played to more than 300,000. Even taking the lowest ticket price of $80 would give you $24,000,000 for Australia alone. No way she only grossed $70M and she more than likely grossed $40M in Australia and similar in South America which had a similar price structure. Europe and US were only two tiers and much cheaper at the time but I can't remember what the prices were. Maybe 50 Euro and maybe $70 in the US or something like that

In other words TGS probably grossed closer to $100+M

BAT on the other hand had tickets that were a flat $45 in Japan $28 in US and $32 - $37 in Europe I think Canada was $25. 

I'd say BAT was probably pretty close to $60M though

ETA: I checked TGS in the US she charged $55 or $35 at MSG and The Palace UK was $41/$34 USD and Japan was $64USD and $73USD and South America was $125/$56/$28. Oz was definitely $200/$110(maybe)/$80 all AUD as I remember looking at the tickets back then